Benelli Inertia System Owners - Please Read

BPGuy

I've been looking at the Stoeger board, and owners of the Stoeger 2000 seem to have a lot of complaints about misfires.

I'm wondering - Are the Benelli Shotguns with the same operating system having similar troubles?

If you own a Benelli with the Inertia Operating System, please post your experience(s) here, good or bad. Also, please post what type (brand, shot size & weight, etc) as there is some discussion that ammo may be at fault.

Thank you all in advance!

I've shot every type of brand you can think of, just about, out of a M1 Super 90 tactical and had no real issues. I will say 95% of the shells have either been 00 buckshot or 1 1/4 oz. slugs. Its patterned for Federal Premium 2 3/4" double ought buck. This is my favorite brand to shoot, plus I've got a rifle sized gun safe stacked w/ the stuff.

Originally posted by BPGuy:

I'm wondering - Are the Benelli Shotguns with the same operating system having similar troubles?

If you own a Benelli with the Inertia Operating System, please post your experience(s) here, good or bad. Also, please post what type (brand, shot size & weight, etc) as there is some discussion that ammo may be at fault.

Here are my comments about the M2 that I own.

I have an M2 field with a wood stock and 28 inch barrel. I use it for Trap, 5-Stand, Sproting Clays and hunting. I have compared the recoil of this configuration against the comfortech stocks using the same loads through a round of 5-stand (25 Birds) and cannot tell the difference in recoil. I did notice slightly less recoil with the Beretta 390's though. But not enough difference to offset all of the jamming issues that I have seen with them at the range and sporting clays courses.

I average about 3 flats a month for the clay sports with out any gun related failures to fire. THis is over a 2.5 year period that I have had this gun. I use 2.75" 2.75Dram Eq., 1 ounce #8s for my clays shooting.

In the hunting department I bagged 14 pheasant 2 seasons ago, but so far none this last season.

This last season I went on a goose hunt where I used 3" #2 and #B heavy shot. I could not tell the difference in recoil between these shells and the 1 ounce target loaads that I use. This is after going through 2 boxes of each. I was able to get 3 nice canadians. Part of this trip was also a duck hunt and it performed great there as well. This time I was using 2.75" #4 heavy shot with out any noticeable differences in recoil. I was only able to get 2 ducks though. One was a nice mallard drake and the other was a pintail drake. Since the linmit here includes only 1 pintail, and most all of the ducks that were cooperating were pintails that limited my bag.

So far this year I have gotten 2 Chuckar.

So I think that you can say the M2 and the real inertia system are a pretty darn reliable combination.

Mike :D

I shoot either 3" or 3 1/2" for everything I do. A few days ago, a buddy of mine tried it with some lame low-brass walmart crap for shooting clays.....and it showed. I'd say that out of 20 shots, it jammed 3 or 4 times.

It isn't the same gun with that wuss ammo.....feed it the good stuff.

SBEII flawless after two waterfowl seasons.

FYI, the functional systems of the SBEII and M200 are not identical.

Benelli usees a stainless steel recoil tube and spring mounted in the stock.

Stoeger uses a steel coil spring over the mag. tube.

This is just one difference.

Originally posted by tucker301:

FYI, the functional systems of the SBEII and M200 are not identical.

Benelli usees a stainless steel recoil tube and spring mounted in the stock.

Stoeger uses a steel coil spring over the mag. tube.

This is just one difference.

tucker301 - Thank you! That is great info, I was unaware of this difference, though I have seen clues:

I have read that part of the 2000's problem is attributed to the spring around the mag. tube; BUT, Benelli states the entire recoil system is in the receiver and stock. I caught the contradiction, but assumed (you know what happens when one assumes) that Benelli meant everything "except" that spring.

Your answer explains the seeming contradiction. What other differences are there between the Benelli and the 2000 version?

As others have stated, the two guns are made in two different companies/countries.

The materials used to make the 2000 are markedly different from those in the Benelli, and I'm sure the entire manufacturing process is different as well.

Just handling the two guns makes this obvious to just about anyone this side of Stevie Wonder.

It's not really accurate to even compare the two head to head and to talk about differences.

It's not an apples to apples situation.

They both function on the same principle - THAT'S IT.

Just like a Yugo and a Lexus function on the same principles.

It's not the priciple, it's the materials, manufacturing processes, craftsmanship, and overall QC that make the difference.

People who buy a M2000 thinking they're getting a gun similar to the SBEII, but for less $$$ are fools, and you know what they say about fools and their money ;)

I believe that the misfire problems all occur with the slug barrel (see my post in the Stoeger forum). If you'd like to know the details of the problem and what Stoeger is doing for me, let me know. I just bought an SBE II and can't wait to take it to the range.

Originally posted by BPGuy:

I've been looking at the Stoeger board, and owners of the Stoeger 2000 seem to have a lot of complaints about misfires.

• 2 months later...

Does the sbe2 need alot of lubricant ? Do you have to shoulder it tighter? Is there a special button for different size shells ? My son and I are both having trouble getting the second shell to go boom. It doesn't eject from the chamber. Hate to sound stupid but I know its not the gun. It has to be something I am doing wrong.

Well, let's see. My 20 year old Super 90 M1 (Defense model) has shot every thing from British 2+1/2 inch to mag 3 inch shells with out a single burb. I've let many folks put there favorite loads through it and loaned it out for fellow officers to qualify during academy training. She is an early H+K import and works perfectly. Oh yes, my little 20 guage Monty is only four years old, but has had a couple of thousands rounds of light, and very cheap brand shells through it. With the exception of a few wet powder Estate rounds, that went "poof" and falled to cycle, I have the perfect quail gun. I have several Remington 20 gauge automatics, which have had some minor problems over the years. Also owned a couple of Browning A-5's. Great guns but fussy shooters. My two Benelli's are the greatest smile.gif

SgtCathy

Cape Cod