Well I got my new Benelli M4 in and it is BLUE too lol. I m just gonna try to trade for a H20 version and put in some cash.

Jaason0

I do realize this is not a big deal to most people but I want a Black receiver or the H20. I am obsessive and i just don t like it. If I don t trade i ll cerakote. Just hate to do anything to take away from stock finish. I did find out some info from benelli and they said that this is a new anodizing process that the Marines required. Something about a hard anodizing instead of regular anodizing and in suppose to make much much more resistant to wear and the elements

20210226_180324.jpg

20210226_180308.jpg

I also just purchased an M4 and the receiver has a hue of blue. I didnt unpackage it right away and seeing these posts worried me a bit. Finally unpackaged this morning and mine is a shade of navy as well. Mine looks less blue then yours [not to rub it in] but could be my lighting conditions. Its a bit disappointing cause like you I purchased the all black for the look. Maybe thats childish but you want what you paid for. Im going to let the look simmer for a bit before I make any changes  or put it together.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, theUNIT13 said:

I also just purchased an M4 and the receiver has a hue of blue. I didnt unpackage it right away and seeing these posts worried me a bit. Finally unpackaged this morning and mine is a shade of navy as well. Mine looks less blue then yours [not to rub it in] but could be my lighting conditions. Its a bit disappointing cause like you I purchased the all black for the look. Maybe thats childish but you want what you paid for. Im going to let the look simmer for a bit before I make any changes  or put it together.

Yeah man i feel you. It might seem petty to most but heck I paid 2k for a shotgun and I want it to look good lol. I just don t understand why it isn t black anymore. I think I am just gonna have the receiver cerakoted black and then i ll be happy lol.

The blue is actually kind of growing on me. I purchased mine this past July 2020 and it is black, but if I bought another one I’d be ok with the current coloring.  

Maybe CarrierComp can come up with a matching cerakote color for their mag tubes if this is what they will be moving forward. 

Love how the same dumbasses are acting like this is some cosmetic flaw and not a sign of a business operation not only having a quality control issue with color on a ver expensive item but not getting that if one thing is wrong, other things are possibly wrong. If these assclowns ordered a black corvette and got a blue corvette, Im sure they'd be sining a different tune. And if Chevy was like "oh we just have some variances in the color dept" people would not be letting it slide. It means they messed up somewhere with the anodizing process. It has nothing to do with the usmc, All the M4s I've shot before including the one I've owned for over a decade are dark black. So they obviously F'd up and the bootlickers here aren't helping./

Jason, how does the inside of the receiver look? Are the sights straight? Does the saftey engage positively, how does every other aspect of this overpriced gun seem?

If I'm going to buy a firearm the number one thing I want is a quality, properly constructed and fabricated weapon that gives me confidence that someone put in some effort into the build. Even if its just cosmetic, a company this well known and this "elite" or "top shelf" should have sent out a fucking memo that they screwed up or changed a process along the line. 

• Downvote 6

6 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

If you have some big money to invest, you could always turn your blue M4 into a real deal NP3 H2O.  

I saw one of them friday and it is amazing. The guy that owns the gun shop has one of the orginal h20 s . Think there like 60 of them i heard.

1 hour ago, Jaason0 said:

I saw one of them friday and it is amazing. The guy that owns the gun shop has one of the orginal h20 s . Think there like 60 of them i heard.

60 of them that came with the collapsible stock and a full length magazine tube. After that, Benelli neutered them and sold a bunch that were NP3 plated. Then a few years ago they stopped doing the NP3 presumably because it's insanely expensive, and switched to the Cerakote model.

Some of NP3 models had fitting issues from tolerance stacking. Benelli skimped on plating a lot of the parts they should have like the aluminumm trigger frames. The ones I send in to Wright end up having everything steel and aluminum plated except the disconnector pin, bolt handle retainer pin and all the springs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

60 of them that came with the collapsible stock and a full length magazine tube. After that, Benelli neutered them and sold a bunch that were NP3 plated. Then a few years ago they stopped doing the NP3 presumably because it's insanely expensive, and switched to the Cerakote model.

Some of NP3 models had fitting issues from tolerance stacking. Benelli skimped on plating a lot of the parts they should have like the aluminumm trigger frames. The ones I send in to Wright end up having everything steel and aluminum plated except the disconnector pin, bolt handle retainer pin and all the springs.

They stopped the NP3 finish due to Robar being sold and the contract was nullified 

• Upvote 1

So yesterday I stopped by a local Cabela’s where I live (ammo browse, SHOCKER nothing!) and I overheard a conversation at the gun display counter. A Cabela’s staffer behind the counter who appeared older was steadfast explaining to two younger guys/customers that ALL NEW Benelli M4’s are now made with Navy Blue receivers only.  I moved in closer to listen and one of the guys asked the staffer if they could order/request the M4 receiver to be black and would it cost extra?? The Cabela’s staffer said he was told Navy blue only right now. As I walked away, a few things were validated to me..1) Benelli clearly is not the source of such ridiculous misinformation..2)Benelli clearly did/has not got in front of/fully disclosed it’s latest & significant color variance with M4 receivers which results in ridiculous misinformation..3) Cabela’s remains unimpressive when it comes to firearms, relationships with distributors & manufacturers..I’d purchase a firearm from a Dentist while having a root canal before Cabela’s! Sorry, Rant complete.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jaason0 said:

Well I changed my mind and actually like it more. Guess it growing on me. Ordered an A and S trigger guard for it

You'll be happy with the a& s conversion. Last week I  got a chance to test out my conversion and it worked out fine. I still want to put more rounds through it to make sure there are no problems.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Electric7, was waiting for someone to validate a newly purchased M4 that came with a black receiver vs. blueish finish. Early in 2020, Italy was in shut/lock down several times due to the vast spread of Covid throughout the country. However, when Benelli returned to a significantly rapid backlog of production they had developed/introduced a “newer & more resilient” anodizing process with broad color variance for the M4 receiver??..that apparently ONLY applies to the M4 receiver?? During the past year+ it’s possible that the USMC requested a more resilient finish applied to the M4 receiver(as some were told by Benelli)..but that’s what Titanium-Cerakote (H2O model) is for and they could have simply applied black Cerakote to meet the USMC request. Might just look into this as I have some good contacts within DoD and USMC.

Spoke with a DoD contact that relayed Benelli’s explanation is odd regarding blueish M4 receiver color variance is result of US military request for improved/hardened finish..because it’s unlikely that Benelli would incur the extra steps & costs involved to specifically meet newer US military needs and then simply extend the same application to all civilian model M4’s. If Benelli is automatically extending the improved hardened anodizing process to all civilian M4 models at no cost, then why not pronounce & tout the improved finish of the vital receiver and color variance? Stranger D. may have called it right from the jump..guys at the plant in Italy have to much olive oil on their hands at the acid tanks lol!! 

• Upvote 1

Normally the Military wants Type 3 amorphous "hard anodizing" (MIL-A-8625) which is thicker and holds more dye (and tends to soak up and incorporate oil).  Funny thing is Type 3 is the one that allows the darkest shades of black.  It sounds like they are going with some process change that allows even harder or thicker finish but does not hold the dye as well.  There are a lot of new processes using other acids than the traditional Sulfuric or Chromic acid and even some plasma deposition processes.