Best optic setup for mid setting?

NikoTheAsian

10 minutes ago, NikoTheAsian said:

Got a rmr on a Scalarworks that i learned is not ideal for the mid setting on a c stock. I have a sro coming monday ima try to see if it works, bur if not what do yall recommend? Thinking a t2 on a Scalarworks but idk probably same issue. 

Funny I went through the same process with my c-stock...lol

I've put both RMR and SRO on scalarworks mount and the dot position is the same. 

I think if you want your sights to co-witness with your dot you will have the same problem with T2/Scalarworks mount as well. 

36 minutes ago, NikoTheAsian said:

Got a rmr on a Scalarworks that i learned is not ideal for the mid setting on a c stock. I have a sro coming monday ima try to see if it works, bur if not what do yall recommend? Thinking a t2 on a Scalarworks but idk probably same issue. 

For the mid position, stock rail with a T1 or T2 with its factory mount was perfect for me.

Ive since moved to the fully extended position, ScalarWorks mount with an RMR

This might work for you. These guys sell a riser that you can sandwich between the RMR/SRO and the Sync rail. They have two height options, but realistically you could stack them if you wanted some specific height. You might have to source some extra long screws or trim the long ones to make everything work.

https://reptiliacorp.com/product/rof-riser-for-trijicon-rmr/

I personally prefer to mount an RMR on a ADM quick release low mount, attached to the factory picatinny rail.

The height is perfect for the middle position of the C stock and isn't cluttered by the iron sights.

If something goes wrong with it you can pop it off with a quick flip of the lever, slide the stock back to the last position, and have perfect sight picture with your iron sights.

F7A00557-5B20-4FCF-B29F-D2AE269FE86A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2021 at 2:10 PM, M2_shootr said:

For the mid position, stock rail with a T1 or T2 with its factory mount was perfect for me.

Ive since moved to the fully extended position, ScalarWorks mount with an RMR

@M2_shootr, I’m considering this setup (T2 on factory rail). Why did you change?

On 2/28/2021 at 2:57 AM, Nocturnalnature said:

I personally prefer to mount an RMR on a ADM quick release low mount, attached to the factory picatinny rail.

The height is perfect for the middle position of the C stock and isn't cluttered by the iron sights.

If something goes wrong with it you can pop it off with a quick flip of the lever, slide the stock back to the last position, and have perfect sight picture with your iron sights.

@Nocturnalnature, Are you still running this setup?

46 minutes ago, SnidelyWhiplash said:

It is actually impressive how well it returns to zero. I've honestly never had a QD mount that is this repeatable. In fact, after I saw how well it did I bought American Defense mounts for every red dot and reflex sight I own.

The one you posted the link to is the version with titanium hardware. It's a little lighter then mine, but only by about an ounce.

Here's the link to the version with steel hardware, but it's currently out of stock.

@M2_shootr @Nocturnalnature

Thank you both for taking the time to help!

@Nocturnalnature

I think I’m going to give one of those a try. Thanks for your help! I think this is exactly the solution I’m looking for.

The concerns about the zero return was due to some comments about the Benelli factory pic rail being less than bullet-proof but if it’s working for you I see no reason it won’t work for me. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, SnidelyWhiplash said:

@Nocturnalnature

I think I’m going to give one of those a try. Thanks for your help! I think this is exactly the solution I’m looking for.

The concerns about the zero return was due to some comments about the Benelli factory pic rail being less than bullet-proof but if it’s working for you I see no reason it won’t work for me. Thanks again!

You're very welcome my man!

Just make sure you put it back in the same slot when taking it off and remounting.

I've done it literally 10-15 times and it's ALWAYS the same. Like I said, impressive enough for me to spend over 1000 bucks to replace perfectly good mounts on my other guns.

Sounds like you are well on your way already.
I did a Holosun 503 (T1 footprint) in an ADM QD low mount on my stock rail.
With my head size (big head?) and the C-stock, I found I could just not get comfortable with the height of the optic with the longest and mid setting.  It just did not quite sit right for me.
Jumped to a Scalaworks mount with the same 503 and it is perfect for me in the long and mid setting.  

I liked the ability to remove and put the optic back on with the ADM, but I found myself having to adjust my head when I would bring the gun up fast.

@bigdog02 , I have the Scalarworks RMR combo on my 18” M4 and with the collapsible stock extended at the last position it’s perfect. Absolutely no better setup. 

I’m going to add the M4 Entry model (14” SBS) to the lineup and I’d like to keep it fairly short by using the middle setting of the stock. At the middle stock setting the Scalarworks RMR combo puts my head too high above the factory sights and RMR red dot. If this ADM low mount on the factory rail is slightly higher it will help me keep my familiar cheek weld. If not, going back to the last setting on the stock and a Scalarworks RMR will be my backup plan.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SnidelyWhiplash said:

@Nocturnalnature

You’re quite welcome Sir

My RMR and American Defense low mount arrived today. I went with the titanium model as the specs listed the height identically and I was happy to save a couple of ounces.

For comparisons sake, I have an M4 with the Scalarworks mount / RMR combo and with the collapsible stock fully extended this puts the red dot at the perfect location for my eyes and co-witnessed with the iron sights. The folks at Scalarworks are great folks and their mount / RMR combo is my ideal setup on an 18” general purpose M4 shotgun.

I am in the process of purchasing the M4 Entry model (14” SBS) and, in an attempt to keep it as short as possible, I wanted to run the 14” Entry model on the middle stock setting. The iron sights and Scalarworks / RMR combo is way to low for me with the stock in the middle position.

When my American Defense Mount and RMR arrived today I put them on an unmodified Benelli M4 that still has the factory pic rail  and, with the collapsible stock on the middle setting, this is a great height and sight picture! It may be just a touch high for me as, from the low ready, I’m coming up to be met with the dot in the lower quarter of the RMR sight glass. Perfectly acceptable and something I’m fully used to within a few action / ready drills. I’m getting a very good/ comfortable / familiar cheek weld which was very important for me (muscle memory, etc).

This is a great solution that will work for my M4 Entry setup and I’m grateful for everyone who took the time to help!

Has anyone installed an SRO instead of the RMR? I am aware it is the same footprint, but the viewable window is bigger and much easier to acquire target. I love mine on my pistol. Wondering if personal preference because that's you already own or looking for possibly more ruggedness from the RMR?

I just got my M1014 Yesterday and I am already on the fence to get a red dot. I prefer the SRO in my pistol (I have an RMR in my carry) but I love the T2 in rifle.

Reading mixed reviews makes it harder to make a decision. Unfortunately it seems this will take a bit of trial and error and possibly returning a product or two.