M4 Build - Agency Arms

smithjss

I found a NIB M4 early last year and sent it out to California for the Agency Arms build.  Details Include: Agency Arms octagonal Extension Tube Kit (Increases TOTAL capacity to 7+1, 9 if ghostloading), Barrel Porting, Agency Arms Extended Carrier, Agency Arms Extended Bolt Release, Agency Arms Extended Charging Handle, Modified Bolt Carrier, Receiver Loading Port Machining, Agency Arms MLOK® handguard/rail, Gunsmith trigger job, texturing of the stock (on select models) and installation of an oversized dome safety. Extended Carrier and Bolt Carrier are polished and refinished in a PVD coating. 

I added the Scalarworks Sync with 6MOA RMR, a few RailScales, Agency RMR matching screws and thats a wrap.  I ordered a tritium ghost ring and front post but will stick with the factory sights for now.  It's really a different feeling gun now in a good way.  I have a preban HK M1a and an M2 but the M4 is night and day to the other guns.

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

Cool build! Love those Railscales. Too bad the KOS ones won’t fit that handguard. With the modifications to the bolt, is there any performance gains stated by Agency Arms, or is it just cosmetic?

Thanks!  I like RailScales...I have them on a lot of my guns.  The PVD is just a smoother process that has been shown to reduce friction and wear.  It's smoother than my M1 and M2 so I imagine it has improved the factory M4 stroke.  

• Upvote 2

Agency makes good parts. I recently bought one of their magwells for my Glock 19 gen 4. I kept pinching my hand between the magazine and the bottom of the grip during speed reloads. So I added their magwell and the problem went completely away. It kept me from having to move up to a 17 grip.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Agency makes good parts. I recently bought one of their magwells for my Glock 19 gen 4. I kept pinching my hand between the magazine and the bottom of the grip during speed reloads. So I added their magwell and the problem went completely away. It kept me from having to move up to a 17 grip.

Have a couple of their slides on glocks and one with their trigger.  Not my DDC but a sweet shooter.

On 3/2/2021 at 9:56 AM, smithjss said:

I found a NIB M4 early last year and sent it out to California for the Agency Arms build.  Details Include: Agency Arms octagonal Extension Tube Kit (Increases TOTAL capacity to 7+1, 9 if ghostloading), Barrel Porting, Agency Arms Extended Carrier, Agency Arms Extended Bolt Release, Agency Arms Extended Charging Handle, Modified Bolt Carrier, Receiver Loading Port Machining, Agency Arms MLOK® handguard/rail, Gunsmith trigger job, texturing of the stock (on select models) and installation of an oversized dome safety. Extended Carrier and Bolt Carrier are polished and refinished in a PVD coating. 

I added the Scalarworks Sync with 6MOA RMR, a few RailScales, Agency RMR matching screws and thats a wrap.  I ordered a tritium ghost ring and front post but will stick with the factory sights for now.  It's really a different feeling gun now in a good way.  I have a preban HK M1a and an M2 but the M4 is night and day to the other guns.

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

Beautiful build!  How do you like the Agnecy arms rail guard?  Does it perform well?  I just picked up an M4 H20 and want to modify this piece but can decide between this one, they Strike Indst. HAYL, or the Mesa Tactical Truckee.  Anyone else have any opinion on the matter?  I'd prefer the Surfire M80 but its a unicorn.  Thanks in advance for the help everyone

Options will vary, but for my hands, the Agency guard feels the best and has great function and aesthetics. I had the Briley one before the Agency so was able to compare those two (along with stock obviously). The problem is finding one as they're currently also unicorns unless you send it in for a full build. I was extremely lucky to score mine.

Edited by aznwhip

15 hours ago, Barry said:

Beautiful build!  How do you like the Agnecy arms rail guard?  Does it perform well?  I just picked up an M4 H20 and want to modify this piece but can decide between this one, they Strike Indst. HAYL, or the Mesa Tactical Truckee.  Anyone else have any opinion on the matter?  I'd prefer the Surfire M80 but its a unicorn.  Thanks in advance for the help everyone

I had the surefire and it's not very good and definitely not worth what they are selling for. The Hayl rail is ok if skip the set screw nonsense. Like I said I want get a couple of the Agency rails personally.

4 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

azwhip: Which rail did you find to be more comfortable? The only reason I’d consider the rail is if I built the light mount up so there was no barrel shadowing. So the longer 13” would be the only viable option from Briley. 

For light shadow requirement.... The decision is kind of already made for you then with the 13" Briley. However, that also runs counter to your weight shedding ethos you've been chasing, so you'll have to weigh (pun intended) what's more important. 

For my hands, it came down to ability to comfortably control muzzle rise. Since the Briley rail basically goes straight up on the sides till it reaches and wraps around the barrel, I was relying on friction to hold the barrel flat. With the Agency, since it doesn't wrap around the barrel, it curves in lower, which allows me to wrap my thumb and finger tips around and slightly over the rail to exert downward force.

That said, I did like not burning my hands in the barrel with the Briley when loading due to the wrap around coverage. Gloves fixed that though.

Edited by aznwhip
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...