M4 charging handle loose?

WatchMeAMZ

Hello everyone! Just picked up my M4 today and I’m super excited about being part of this community.

I had a question about the stock charging handle. Is it supposed to be somewhat loose?

mine can spin/rotate back and forth a little bit. Is that normal, or is it supposed to be solid ?

It’s normal. When you remove the charging handle you’ll see that it has detents that hold it in position with some play. Clean it and properly lubricate it for break in. Use high brass loads, buck shot or slugs for best results. You’re gonna love that thing. Congrats on your new M4 and welcome to the forum!

Edited by JT111
Added text

11 hours ago, WatchMeAMZ said:

Thanks. Speaking of break in. What exactly should be done to the M4 prior to first use?

Clean it and properly lubricate it. Others may correct me if I’m wrong. I lubricated fairly generously on my M4 during break in.