Help me outfit my new M4

WatchMeAMZ

I've been down the rabbit hole of gear and optics these past few days and wanted to get some opinions from people who know far more than I do. 

So, I've just picked up my new M4 this week and this is what I have planned for it. Would very much appreciate some pros & cons for this particular setup, and to let me know if I'm doing anything "wrong" as this is my first firearm, and I don't know what I don't know. 

First up is the Mesa Tactical Sureshell saddle

https://www.mesatactical.com/products/sureshell-carrier-and-rail-for-ben-m4-6-shell-12-ga-5-1-2-in.html

A few things I'm worried about here....I've read reviews about other saddles either not being good quality, or potentially stripping/ruining the screw holes in the receiver. Any truth to that? Should I be worried about that with this one? Also, I have the H2O M4 and have heard some people say that this will scuff up or scratch the receiver. How big of an issue is that? I figure If I'm running this saddle for ever than I shouldn't worry, but if I have to change it out and then the receiver finish is damaged, that can be an issue. Can the receiver ever be refinished to match the original spec down the road if one wanted to?

Next, I wanted to put a red dot on the M4 and what I'm looking at is the Trijicon SRO, mounted on a LaRue Tactical Trijicon RMR Mount, LT837
https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-trijicon-rmr-mount-lt837/

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/sro2-c-2500002

So, a few beginner questions here.......

- Would the sight sit too high on the shotgun? I think I've seen higher, but Just want to be sure. 

- Is the SRO a good choice for an M4? I've seen a few with them, but I kno wit's primarily a pistol optic? I like it because it has a big POV, is good quality, and think would look great with the M4, but I also don't want to buy something that can't handle the M4

- Lastly, this sight and mount will sit on the pic rail that comes with the side saddle. So if that thing is coming loose over time than the whole set up sucks.  

Let me know, good people, what you think of this and if you have any other advice or things I may have over looked. 

Have a great day!

I would avoid the Mesa Tactical shell carrier and look into using a Velcro card system. These add little weight and don’t rely on the thin receiver holes for mounting. Velcro crushes flat when not in use. The Velcro is easier to pull the shells from than the Mesa unit. the Velcro will be easier on the finish too. 

With a Velcro system, you can use the dedicated optic mounts like the Scalarworks Sync rail. I personally prefer the RMR over the SRO since the RMR is quite a bit tougher. I’d go for the smallest dot size available which is the RM09 1moa dot size.

31 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

I would avoid the Mesa Tactical shell carrier and look into using a Velcro card system. These add little weight and don’t rely on the thin receiver holes for mounting. Velcro crushes flat when not in use. The Velcro is easier to pull the shells from than the Mesa unit. the Velcro will be easier on the finish too. 

With a Velcro system, you can use the dedicated optic mounts like the Scalarworks Sync rail. I personally prefer the RMR over the SRO since the RMR is quite a bit tougher. I’d go for the smallest dot size available which is the RM09 1moa dot size.

Thanks, going to reconsider the velcro option now. 

Regarding the Sync rail mount, are there any good reasons that someone wouldn't want the reddot to sit super low?

I'm old school also, but some of the toys/add-ons'/accessories are fun. That being said just remember, scatterguns serve a purpose and pin point accuracy ain't one of them . "Shotguns are like horseshoes and hand-grenades, you just gotta be close".

18 minutes ago, Jaason0 said:

I say a 7rd tube, A and S trigger guard, and impact weapons light mount, and a taran carrier

Tube is illegal in my state. I’m fine with the stock trigger guard.

impact mount & light on the way along with Trijicon SRO & Larue mount 

28 minutes ago, Larry L said:

You may want to reconsider using the Larue mount if you're using the factory pic rail since it's been documented to damage Larue QD mounts.

If you decide to change course, ADM makes a dandy quick release for your optic.

Edited by Nocturnalnature

13 minutes ago, Nocturnalnature said:

You may want to reconsider using the Larue mount if you're using the factory pic rail since it's been documented to damage Larue QD mounts.

If you decide to change course, ADM makes a dandy quick release for your optic.

Hhmmm is that the case?

I also ordered the Mesa shell carrier and was gonna mount all on that - but now I’m reconsidering the shell carrier.

it looks super cool, but adds lots of weight, and as primarily a tool use for home defense and fun at the range not sure I want the shell carrier.

So is it just the Larue mount that gets destroyed by the stock rail? This won’t happen to other mounts?

22 minutes ago, Larry L said:

Hhmmm is that the case?

I also ordered the Mesa shell carrier and was gonna mount all on that - but now I’m reconsidering the shell carrier.

it looks super cool, but adds lots of weight, and as primarily a tool use for home defense and fun at the range not sure I want the shell carrier.

So is it just the Larue mount that gets destroyed by the stock rail? This won’t happen to other mounts?

It occurs because the Benelli rail is not an actual "Mil Spec" rail.

The problem will occur when a mount uses a partial recoil lug since the rail has a channel running right down its entire length. Basically, the recoil lug isn't supported fully and in short order it ends up damaging the lug on the mount.

Mounts such as ADM use a crossbar that will engage enough of the factory rail to prevent this from happening.

Type in "Benelli M4 Larue Mount" and you should find a photo of the damage I am referring to.

I'd also recommend doing a Google search on the Mesa Side saddle. You'll most likely stumble upon several threads where the receiver holes were damaged either by the screws provided, or the additional weight and stress placed on the holes. 

7 hours ago, Larry L said:

O i c. Taran carrier  is a must. Stock tore my thumb up. Impact weapons mount is awesome.  I have a inforce wmlx light.