Which tube extension for a M4

RyanExtra

CarrierComp is what I went with.  Not sure what their lead times are currently, but I don’t think 2-3 months is uncommon. 

others here seem to like the Briley carbon fiber, Freedom Fighter Tactical, and there is also a member in here that makes steel tubes as well. 

4 hours ago, Diesel79 said:

CarrierComp is what I went with.  Not sure what their lead times are currently, but I don’t think 2-3 months is uncommon. 

others here seem to like the Briley carbon fiber, Freedom Fighter Tactical, and there is also a member in here that makes steel tubes as well. 

I just spoke with them and the next batch from Carrier Comp will be June timeframe. They have a bit of a delay at the moment. 

For this reason I went with the Briley Carbon tube. I did buy the CarrierComp magazine tube spring to put in the Briley. I've read mixed reviews about magazine capacity with the Briley magazine spring. 

Edited by fatbiker852
  • Upvote 1

Definitely do a full length tube. Never cared much for the two round extensions. 

I was out hiking in the Mojave with the M4 with a carbon fiber magazine tube on it. The weight reduction was appreciable. I use the Carriercomp springs since they don’t seem to need trimming to fit seven rounds. I’d use the Briley follower with their tube. Regular followers may not be beveled at the leading edge which may caught the follower to catch on the transition points between the stainless steel threaded end and the body of the carbon fiber tube. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

Definitely do a full length tube. Never cared much for the two round extensions. 

I was out hiking in the Mojave with the M4 with a carbon fiber magazine tube on it. The weight reduction was appreciable. I use the Carriercomp springs since they don’t seem to need trimming to fit seven rounds. I’d use the Briley follower with their tube. Regular followers may not be beveled at the leading edge which may caught the follower to catch on the transition points between the stainless steel threaded end and the body of the carbon fiber tube. 

hey Stranger Danger do you happen to have the link to the briley mag tube follower? im currently using the FFT follower and it does get caught sometimes. thks

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

also have you tried the Wolff spring FFT sells on yout briley CF mag tube? you recommend CarrierComp over the Wolff?

1 hour ago, Rockinfigs said:

also have you tried the Wolff spring FFT sells on yout briley CF mag tube? you recommend CarrierComp over the Wolff?

The carriercomp one is made by Wolff just to carriercomp's specifications. I may have used the FFT springs in the past or when assembling others builds. I don't recall anything negative about it. I've just stuck with what has worked for me.

3 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

I’d use the Briley follower with their tube. Regular followers may not be beveled at the leading edge which may caught the follower to catch on the transition points between the stainless steel threaded end and the body of the carbon fiber tube.

Stranger -

Is this the Briley follower you are suggesting?  It's the only follower I can find on their website but it doesn't seem to have the beveled leading edge that you described.  Maybe rounded a little?  Either way, it seems to work for you!

Briely Extended Follower.jpg

Yeah, I see that now.  Just enough to get over the fiber and stainless mating, I guess.  I remember on another post you mentioning how the follower could hang-up right at that crucial point -- the last shell in the tube I'd imagine.

Briley states that the follower was designed for 3-Gun where deep and aggressive loading port reduction (see their pictures) can remove a portion of the mag tube fitment to the receiver, thus allowing a much shorter follower to cant off the axis of the mag tube as the follower is not fulling supported 360 degrees after the last shell is expended from the mag tube.  A longer follower keeps things aligned.  That made sense to me as it seems like a short (OEM) follower might jam a little bit if its canted in the mag tube during speed re-loads.

Then again, call me Rosanna, Rosanna, Danna!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Mataleao said:

What about the Benelli OEM 7 round magazine tube? Any experiences to share on running that one on the M4?

The problem you will run into the OEM 7 round tube is the 922R compliance issues. Thats why so many of use have changed out several part to US made parts to stay 922R compliant.

• Upvote 1

The OEM spring is kind of junk. They take a set pretty quickly which reduces spring tension. When I first got my M4, I had a hell of a time with my spring causing the firearm to not want to load the last round in the tube onto the shell elevator. Took me forever to trace the problem to the spring.

My personal favorite spring is the carriercomp one. It is made by Wolff to their specifications. It requires very little to any trimming to fit seven rounds. I'm using the same spring I put in over a decade ago without any issues.

• Like 1