M4 Replacement Rail

Heynowwwww

Hello,

I noticed that there are aftermarket solutions for the rail.  A couple of questions:

- what's the issue with the stock rail that necessitates a replacement?  I have not tried to connect anything to it yet.

- for those that have replaced what have you gone with?  I see that carrier comp used to have a solution and FFT has one now.  Other options?

Thank you in advance.

53 minutes ago, Heynowwwww said:

Hello,

I noticed that there are aftermarket solutions for the rail.  A couple of questions:

- what's the issue with the stock rail that necessitates a replacement?  I have not tried to connect anything to it yet.

- for those that have replaced what have you gone with?  I see that carrier comp used to have a solution and FFT has one now.  Other options?

Thank you in advance.

I believe there have been mounting issues with the rail. It is not a true milspec picatinny rail if my info is correct 

Another option would be the mount for Trijicon RMRs by scalarworks, or their mount for other red dot specific manufacturers 

The oem rail has that sight channel milled into the rail which weakens it to some optic mounts like LaRue. The recoil outs are just barely larger than the channel they cut. So all that force ends up beating up a relatively small area of the rail and can get chewed up.

Carriercomp used to make one. I doubt we’ll see another run from them. FFT now makes one that is nearly identical. These have full picatinny rail lugs. While this is nice, it does interfere with the sight picture since you no longer have the channel cut thru them. 

Personally I remove the iron sights and install a Scalarworks Sync rail and a Trijicon RMR RM09. Having iron sights as a backup sound good, but in reality they really aren’t doing much but adding weight and sight picture clutter.

19 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

The oem rail has that sight channel milled into the rail which weakens it to some optic mounts like LaRue. The recoil outs are just barely larger than the channel they cut. So all that force ends up beating up a relatively small area of the rail and can get chewed up.

Carriercomp used to make one. I doubt we’ll see another run from them. FFT now makes one that is nearly identical. These have full picatinny rail lugs. While this is nice, it does interfere with the sight picture since you no longer have the channel cut thru them. 

Personally I remove the iron sights and install a Scalarworks Sync rail and a Trijicon RMR RM09. Having iron sights as a backup sound good, but in reality they really aren’t doing much but adding weight and sight picture clutter.

thanks, I have the Scalarworks/RMR solution and I've removed the rear sight.  I have an Aimpoint T-2 on my AR-15 and really like it.  I know Scalarworks makes a Benelli mount for the Aimpoint  but thinking of switching to a rail and a higher mount with the Aimpoint given I have the collapsible stock.  Does that make sense to you?

What don’t you like about the RMR on the M4? Would it be better if you raised the optic height so that it worked better with the middle stock position? You could add a spacer between the RMR and the Scalarworks mount. 
https://reptiliacorp.com/product/rof-riser-for-trijicon-rmr/

They have a 2.5mm and a 10mm height. Nothing says you couldn’t stack two or three of the 2.5mm plates to reach a specific height. You just might have to source some custom length screws.

If you want to go with the Aimpoint, I’d get ahold of one of the Scalarworks dedicated rails for it. I believe the Aimpoint sits a little higher than the RMR due to its size.

11 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

What don’t you like about the RMR on the M4? Would it be better if you raised the optic height so that it worked better with the middle stock position? You could add a spacer between the RMR and the Scalarworks mount. 
https://reptiliacorp.com/product/rof-riser-for-trijicon-rmr/

They have a 2.5mm and a 10mm height. Nothing says you couldn’t stack two or three of the 2.5mm plates to reach a specific height. You just might have to source some custom length screws.

If you want to go with the Aimpoint, I’d get ahold of one of the Scalarworks dedicated rails for it. I believe the Aimpoint sits a little higher than the RMR due to its size.

Thanks, it's not that I don't like the RMR it's more that I really like the Aimpoint.  But rather than completely start over maybe I'll start with your riser suggestion.

Thanks as always sir.