Brand New M4 Metal Chip Issue

Andy99

Hi. I recently purchased a brand new Benelli M4. Out of the box, I noticed a small metal chip/imperfection inside the receiver area. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this? And if this will cause any issue? Hopefully it’s purely aesthetic. Also, it has not been fired so far. Thanks!54-FA756-E-5057-45-F8-B8-B5-7266728-ADC2

Remove the handguards then reinstall the barrel so that you can access the pistons. Now slide the pistons back and forth to see if they move freely. Each side should move the same amount fore and aft. It appears to be a machining bur that wasn't removed. You could file it away if you like pretty easily. They sell bur removal tools that are made specifically for removing things like that, but it might not be worth the expense for you unless you do things like this sometimes.

I would mainly remove it since it could be a hazard for your fingers when cleaning the shotgun.

Obviously sending it to Benelli would resolve the issue, but I don't think it's worth a trip to Benelli over. You'd be without your shotgun for a couple months for a 5 minute job.

Benelli's quality control lately has been letting a lot of issues slip by.

Edited by StrangerDanger

Easy fix as Stranger pointed out, nonetheless poor inspection-oversight by Benelli for a $2K+ Shotgun. If unnoticed over time that little bur will likely break off during cycling and could cause further issue/damage. Obviously COVID broadly impacts every company’s abilities vs. production catch up vs. quality control (and now Italy is another COVID lock down). Come on Benelli inspect closely this is your reputation!!

Benelli needs to get back in track with their QC.  Seems to be a lot of quirks as of late with the M4’s.   I feel fortunate the one I purchased this past July was what I expected.

Curious if M2’s or any other models are falling victim as well.  

5 hours ago, BamBam said:

Easy fix as Stranger pointed out, nonetheless poor inspection-oversight by Benelli for a $2K+ Shotgun. If unnoticed over time that little bur will likely break off during cycling and could cause further issue/damage. Obviously COVID broadly impacts every company’s abilities vs. production catch up vs. quality control (and now Italy is another COVID lock down). Come on Benelli inspect closely this is your reputation!!

Yeah, LOL...I would put this in the same category as their new "Covid blue" receivers.