Unusual receiver wear?

Dsking85

Hey all,

first time Benelli owner, picked up an M4 last week. Took it out to shoot today, put about 150 shells through it and had a few questions about some wear I’m seeing.  I usually don’t pay very much attention to things like this but I spent a lot of money on this!

to start off, I know that this shotgun is built like a tank and meant to take a beating. Just want to make sure I’m doing things right before I go out again tomorrow. 

im getting an area on the inside of the receiver that seems to have had the corner rounded off during firing.  Is this normal?  Aplogies in advance for probably being way too concerned about this haha. Thanks!

8A02E576-CE01-4651-855F-ED0EED35492B.jpeg

You're alright. The barrel extension is just rubbing on the anodizing there. Just make sure your magazine cap is on tight and that will prevent the barrel from moving around. If it bugs you, you could get a bottle of Alumablack and rub it on the silver area to return it to black. Just expect to need to do it once in a while.

If you're talking about around the ejection port, that is common. The brass hits the receiver and will round the edges over. They all do that. It's how you know who shoots their M4 and who just fondles it!

Thanks for the reply!  I’m not worried about the finish coming off I know that’s part of shooting which I like to do!  Was referring to the part I just circled in red. That is actually a bit of aluminum that has been gouged and rounded. Appreciate it!

9B020FE0-B9BB-4957-B103-E7BDCA36FD5F.jpeg

Oh I didn’t even see that. As long as it doesn’t interfere with your barrel seating fully against the face of the receiver, it shouldn’t give you any issues. 

You might check the back side of the barrel and see if there is something causing contact there. Sometimes the rivets for the ejector aren’t the best. I’m not sure if that is in this area or not. 

Edited by StrangerDanger

59 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

You're alright. The barrel extension is just rubbing on the anodizing there. Just make sure your magazine cap is on tight and that will prevent the barrel from moving around. If it bugs you, you could get a bottle of Alumablack and rub it on the silver area to return it to black. Just expect to need to do it once in a while.

If you're talking about around the ejection port, that is common. The brass hits the receiver and will round the edges over. They all do that. It's how you know who shoots their M4 and who just fondles it!

I actually put two layers of electrical tape on the top and bottom ejection port edges before each range trip and it eliminates the wear issue.

Then again, I'm the guy who puts electrical tape on the ejection hump of my AR's as well to prevent brass streaks, so it's likely that I'm just a nut.

I'm waiting for the one member who just got his H20 version to go shoot it a bit to see if he sells it once he sees the "damage" ???.

Edited by Nocturnalnature
  • Like 2