Benelli M3 semi-mode failure to cycle

Gypsy

so i just got my benelli m3 recently and ive bought a bunch of different ammo 12ga to shoot and every single load i put fails to cycle the next round.

Pump mode works perfect and has 0 issues but even 2-3/4" & 3" buck/slug dont reliably cycle. it always gets stuck in the feed or i get a failure to eject because the load wasnt powerful enough(???). 

no idea what ammo im supposed to use with it or maybe something is wrong with the gun? i installed a reduced power spring kit and even with that i still get failures in semiauto.

ive shot federal, estate, fiocchi, some other brands i have no idea.

any suggestions? or is my gun a lemon?

On 3/25/2021 at 5:54 PM, Gypsy said:

so i just got my benelli m3 recently and ive bought a bunch of different ammo 12ga to shoot and every single load i put fails to cycle the next round.

Pump mode works perfect and has 0 issues but even 2-3/4" & 3" buck/slug dont reliably cycle. it always gets stuck in the feed or i get a failure to eject because the load wasnt powerful enough(???). 

no idea what ammo im supposed to use with it or maybe something is wrong with the gun? i installed a reduced power spring kit and even with that i still get failures in semiauto.

I do not have an M3, but if it’s anything like an M4 it’s important to thoroughly clean an properly lubricate before firing the new weapon. I ran my M4 pretty wet during break in. I’m assuming your M3 is new? Also, during break in I used high brass heavier loads, full power buck shot and slugs. Maybe you did all that already. Just thought I’d try to help to rule out typical break in stuff. 

Edited by JT111
  • Upvote 1

Sell it ... and buy a gas operated shotgun...lol  I own a 12ga SBE2 slug-gun since 2003 with an added smoothbore barrel, and a 20ga M2 slug-gun.  Both of them go through the same crap.  I've killed hundreds of deer with them but the "bulletproof" reputation of Benelli is comical.  First thing you have to know is if you start hanging extension tubes, weapon lights, optics, and anything else on them you're counteracting the recoil system and just asking for failure to feeds.

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

On 4/3/2021 at 5:57 AM, Butch-M said:

Sell it ... and buy a gas operated shotgun...

Most people that buy a M3 know what it is and wants that selective action capability. Personally, I am not going to be shooting CS shells or beanbag rounds, but I do sometime shoot lightweight loads because they are cheap. I also have an affinity for semi-auto/pump guns. I also am a big fan of Franchi SPAS-12 (as long as it has had the safety switch upgrade) and SPAS-15.
I always loved Benelli because they were NOT gas-operated. Simplicity, lighter, narrower forearm, and easier cleaning area all great features of inertia system. I bought my first Benelli brand new in ~1994. It was a HK import SBE. Within a very short period after I bought it, all other shotguns except for a .410 were sold. It didn't take long to figure out the quirk that it required 1 1/8oz dram shells but it didn't matter if they were name brand or high brass. It shot Wally World cheapo stuff as long as it was 1 1/8oz. Since then, I have bought a pair of M3T folders, M1T, Montefeltro 20 gauge, and have bought and sold SBE II and III. I finally decided I'd get a couple M4's too since I had most everything else I wanted from the brand. I got a standard pistol grip model that had been converted to full length mag, collapsible stock, etc. I also bought a NIB 11711. To me, Benelli IS inertia driven. The M4 is a fine gun for sure They may be the better choice for those going all out with the tacti-cool look with tons of gadgets hanging all over (which I am not really in to anyway).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

My New M3 will not cycle anything (always short strokes) very disappointed for the money it should would out of the box. I did oil it and I'm using High Brass 1350fps 00 Buck 9 pellet., it should cycle. This ammo cycles my other gas op 12Ga's, just not the M3.

• 3 months later...
On 3/25/2021 at 2:54 PM, Gypsy said:

So did you solve this cycling problem? Reason I ask is I just bought a brand new M3, online, and the FFL who received it also assembled the shotgun. I was okay with that, I guess. Since then, I have read the manual and bought a nice variety different snap-caps to practice loading, etc.,. but have not fired the gun on a range yet.

Problem I have is I can only load TWO snap-caps in the mag-tube--- no matter the size of round--- it only loads two, a third won't go.

So I'm wondering if the FFL put something together wrong or maybe I have a warranty problem.

Opinions would be appreciated. Anybody? 

On 7/8/2022 at 4:30 PM, MEB1963 said:

My New M3 will not cycle anything (always short strokes) very disappointed for the money it should would out of the box. I did oil it and I'm using High Brass 1350fps 00 Buck 9 pellet., it should cycle. This ammo cycles my other gas op 12Ga's, just not the M3.

Curious, did you solve this problem? Warranty return. I'm sure other M3 owners, like myself, would want to know how, or if you solved this cycling prob.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

Sounds like you have a limiter in your tube. SOLVED

Yep, and sounds like I've got newbie egg all over my face! (lol!)

My Ignorance couldn't be helped: bought the gun online and as it was advertised as 5-rnd mag, I just assumed it was. Limiter, huh? You mean that long stick-thingy? DOAH! I found that in my search of Benelli Parts and sure enough, there it was in my magazine!

Thanks for your input, Street!

Regards~!

S

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:30 PM, MEB1963 said:

I sent my M3 back to be fixed (Free Warranty work). It was returned fixed, but no repair explanation was given. To me "it seemed" like the bolt was caching on something it would stick just a bit, but after the repair the bolt working smoothly. Now the M3 will cycle with very heavy turkey loads. I have not found any 00BUCK loads heavy enough to cycle, but I only tried what my local store had.  If you have a specific brand of 00Buck shells that work in your M3, please let me know. I would like to try them in my M3.

Edited by MEB1963
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MEB1963 said:

I sent my M3 back to be fixed (Free Warranty work). It was returned fixed, but no repair explanation was given. To me "it seemed" like the bolt was caching on something it would stick just a bit, but after the repair the bolt working smoothly. Now the M3 will cycle with very heavy turkey loads. I have not found any 00BUCK loads heavy enough to cycle, but I only tried what my local store had.  If you have a specific brand of 00Buck shells that work in your M3, please let me know. I would like to try them in my M3.

Thanks for the reply, glad to hear your problem was mostly solved. I'm just now going to the range (see my previous post on this thread about loading & snap-caps) to try out a variety of loads I bought so will report on 00buck when I get back. 

Regards

• 10 months later...