M4 - Changing from +2 to 7 round?

ArthurMorgan

• ArthurMorgan changed the title to M4 - Changing from +2 to 7 round?

Are you saying your M4 came from the factory with a +2 extension when you nought it?  I wasn’t aware of those.  Anyway, if you put the +2 extension on yourself, then the law required that you comply with 922r at that time.   I’m not saying that a violation of 922r is anything to be particularly concerned about.  I reluctantly complied when I changed my M4 because it wasn’t that big of a deal.  I would bet there are thousands of m4s in this country that do not  comply with 922r and I seriously doubt anyone will have any problem.  But with that said, I chose to comply just so I didn’t have to think about it again.  

EDIT….ok, I just looked up your model number and see that it came from the factory with a two piece 7 round tube., I incorrectly thought the law enforecement models came with a one piece 7 round tube.  I was wrong anout my previous assumption that you added the extension.  Your question is interesting and I do not know the answer.  

Edited by Johnnybgood
Correction

• 2 weeks later...

This is kind of why I just went ahead with the 11707 and just accepted that I would have to go down the road of 922r compliance.

Im not a lawyer nor am I an ATF rep...with that out of the way my own interpretation of 992r was around the assembly of the shotgun.  I personally thought the 11721 came with a solid tube and c-stock and being “LE” and was the reason why it was exempt from 922r.  I didn’t know it just came with the +2 extension.  I was using a previous SD post to become familiar with all the different 117xx.  Which can be found here: https://forums.benelliusa.com/topic/23109-benelli-m4-101/

However since you are technically reassembling and/or modifying it with a solid tube I would suspect 922r applies.   

Again this is just my own .02 and in my limited time of researching this topic.  Hopefully you can find the answer your looking for or you could always pen pal with the ATF and see what guidance they provide.  

Edited by LastStand

2 hours ago, LastStand said:

This is kind of why I just went ahead with the 11707 and just accepted that I would have to go down the road of 922r compliance.

Im not a lawyer nor am I an ATF rep...with that out of the way my own interpretation of 992r was around the assembly of the shotgun.  I personally thought the 11721 came with a solid tube and c-stock and being “LE” and was the reason why it was exempt from 922r.  I didn’t know it just came with the +2 extension.  I was using a previous SD post to become familiar with all the different 117xx.  Which can be found here: https://forums.benelliusa.com/topic/23109-benelli-m4-101/

However since you are technically reassembling and/or modifying it with a solid tube I would suspect 922r applies.   

Again this is just my own .02 and in my limited time of researching this topic.  Hopefully you can find the answer your looking for or you could always pen pal with the ATF and see what guidance they provide.  

I tend to agree with you, as silly as it is. It's not a pressing issue, I was just considering a titanium tube to cut down some on weight. 

I honestly don't think you'd get any grief about swapping the magazine tube for a full length one piece tube. With these law enforcement M4's out in public hands, it's practically impossible to determine what model a M4 is without the box. There is zero markings on it to indicate how it came originally.

Chances are you're going to end up replacing enough parts to be 922 compliant anyway and hit 922 compliance without even trying these days.

• Like 1