Date of manufacture code

Zipperhead

I was at the LGS yesterday and they had 8 M4's in stock.  They were all 5+1 with a fixed stock.  I was surprised to see that many in stock (as they had previously been out of stock for months) and wondered if they were all from the same production "batch".  I checked the date code on the guns and was interested to see "20" on about half of them and "21" on the other half (meaning, I guess, manufactured in 2020 and 2021).

I thought all Italian made guns had a letter code designating the date manufactured.  For example, my M4 manufactured in 2020 has the code "CZ".  Why would the guns I saw have the numerical date instead of a letter code?  Were they not assembled in Italy?  Thanks.

I'll venture two guesses to my own question.  1.  In late 2020, Benelli dropped the letter code for a numerical code.  2.  Numerical code used for firearms manufactured specifically for the US market.  That's all I've got.  Do any of you folks have the numerical code for the date of manufacture?

I asked a guy at the LGS today that has been selling Benelli and Beretta shotguns for 30 years.  He didn't even know that the guns carried a date stamp.  No help there.

The only reason I was curious is that Italy makes a big deal about dating their firearms.  I guess it's no big deal to those of us in the states.

https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/italian-date-codes-up-to-2017-14188.html

4 hours ago, alpha 33 said:

Just curious but can the date of manufacture be determined by ser#?????????? I have receiver ser# Y020350..........

Not sure.  On the left side of the receiver at the front of the trigger guard, there are three stacks of symbols.  The third symbol is the date code in a square box.  Will have two letters, or recently, two numbers.

Edited by Zipperhead
grammer

While you're here, and, for what it's worth.  The CIP S code next to the date code means "Superior smokeless powder proof for smoothbore guns".  Haven't figured out what the first of the three markings means yet.  Educated guess is that it's "Distinctive hallmark of the Gardone Val Trompia Test Bench affixed to all guns" marking.  The Italians are serious about their firearms.

Edited by Zipperhead
add a sentence

Good info. 

On 4/2/2021 at 6:29 PM, benelliwerkes said:

The 18.3 is the metric diameter of the bore, 18.3 mm = 12 gauge.

PSF =Polvere Senza Fumo = Italian for smokeless powder gun proof mark.

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 7.27.20 PM.png

Nice info.  The M4 has no proof markings on the barrel.  They are on the receiver.  Wonder why?

I purchased my Benelli M2 in 2013 and it had this:

Mfg. Date Code CI = 2012

I would think knowing when your firearm was manufactured would be of interest to everyone. Manufacturers change specs all the time and some afictionados are passionate about what they are purchasing. For example, ask anyone who craves a Winchester Lever action whether they would prefer a pre-1964 or a post-1964. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2021 at 7:37 PM, Zipperhead said:

I asked a guy at the LGS today that has been selling Benelli and Beretta shotguns for 30 years.  He didn't even know that the guns carried a date stamp.  No help there.

The only reason I was curious is that Italy makes a big deal about dating their firearms.  I guess it's no big deal to those of us in the states.

https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/italian-date-codes-up-to-2017-14188.html

Not a very knowledgeable sales guy…..

• 7 months later...
On 4/3/2021 at 8:46 PM, Zipperhead said:

Good info. 

Nice info.  The M4 has no proof markings on the barrel.  They are on the receiver.  Wonder why?

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

I have seen a mix of old and new M4s (2019+).

Anyone know why Benelli stopped marking the M4 barrels? 

Edited by 12508

• 1 year later...