M1014 Stock Modification

alexwpilot

I recently got a M1014 and found out that it didn't have the correct recoil tube. Fortunately, I was able to source a Benelli LE recoil 4 position recoil tube. I removed the tube and placed it side by side with the 4 position tube and showed it to a buddy of mine, that is a Tool Maker/Machinist. He milled the flat on the Non-position tube and said it looked like the grooves on the 4 position tube were ground in. So he ground the slots in. I'm going to see if the slots are deep and wide enough for the stock to lock in place.

My question is, Is there enough of an interest to do the mods for fellow forum members?

I'll have to figure a price with shipping included. Only thing is, it would be unfinished on the flat and slots, the owner would have to parkerize, paint, etc the worked areas  themselves. I'll try to post pictures after I test fit the stock.

Wouldn't it have to be heat treated after the slots were ground in?

If you look at the factory multi position tube you can plainly see what appears to be heat treating at each notch.

I personally wouldn't want to be the guinea pig since the wallop to the face from the recoil of a 3 inch slug or buckshot would likely not be particularly pleasant should the slots peen over or give way due to the recoil.

• Upvote 1

If the temperature of the tube is kept low there is no reason it would need to be heat treated again. Any competent machinist could do it. The parts in the stock that will engage the slots will wear out long before the recoil tube. I am only semi skilled in machining and I would do it if I had a set of drawing with spec dimensions.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, dvail1952 said:

If the temperature of the tube is kept low there is no reason it would need to be heat treated again. Any competent machinist could do it. The parts in the stock that will engage the slots will wear out long before the recoil tube. I am only semi skilled in machining and I would do it if I had a set of drawing with spec dimensions.

The pin in the stock is replaceable. Tap it out tap a new one in (or rotate it a bit and put it back in if you cannot source a new one, all the same). The recoil tube...not so much. She heat treated for reasons.

Edited by Unobtanium
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

The adjustment button on the collapsible stock is one of the most hardened pieces of steel I have ever encountered. It wasn’t done like that on accident. 

I believe it to be the pin on the side that actually bares most of the brunt of recoil, not the bottom you depress. Is this not correct?