M2 vs SBE3

benfrenchy74

Hi all,

I've been shooting a Nova for the past 10 years and I am ready to upgrade. 

I've been wanting a super black eagle since basically forever (we have a SBE 1 at the farm that I shoot at times).

Here are some key points for me:

- money is saved up and won't be a factor in that decision ($1300 M2 vs $1800 SBE3)

- this will be my upland, waterfowl and fun do it all 12ga. I will own this thing probably forever

- I shoot steel, lead, tungsten, mostly 3". I have shot 3.5" but don't think it's a huge improvement

- the new Benelli BE.S.T (DLC coated) has me drooling - I'm a full time nerd for a living and coated slick parts make me happy

Now here's where I need help. I want the SBE3 with all my heart but have read so much bad publicity (POI, failure to feed/extract, etc ...) that a reliable workhorse of an M2 sound appealing.

Thoughts?

Thanks all in advance.

11 hours ago, benfrenchy74 said:

Hi all,

I've been wanting a super black eagle since basically forever (we have a SBE 1 at the farm that I shoot at times).

- money is saved up and won't be a factor in that decision ($1300 M2 vs $1800 SBE3)

- this will be my upland, waterfowl and fun do it all 12ga. I will own this thing probably forever

- I shoot steel, lead, tungsten, mostly 3". I have shot 3.5" but don't think it's a huge improvement

- the new Benelli BE.S.T (DLC coated) has me drooling - I'm a full time nerd for a living and coated slick parts make me happy

Now here's where I need help. I want the SBE3 with all my heart but have read so much bad publicity (POI, failure to feed/extract, etc ...) that a reliable workhorse of an M2 sound appealing.

Thoughts?

Thanks all in advance.

One model you left out is as SBE 3 - 3" new to the lineup this year.  Over the M2 you would be getting Comfortech 3, combtech, Easy Bolt, new carrier latch design.  At $1600 this would b e a very nice offering and is a once or two less weight than a SBE 3 - 3.5.  Your concerns about POA, extract are not a concern, what is important is how the gun fits you and using the correct shells.  The SBE 3 - 3" should require 1 oz.  minimum loads.

IMO - all new models are moving into the SBE & Ethos chassis and are moving out of the M2 chassis.

Please PM me if you need details. 

If truly the SBE3 (3.5") is reliable, then I'd go for it. I have shouldered it and loved it.

Most of my trap shooting is done with 1-1/8oz and that's at but withinthe SBE3 (3.5") lower end of the spec it should run.

The 3" version is a lot less appealing to me at that price.

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm leaning towards the 3.5" SBE3.

11 hours ago, bambihunter said:

I was going to suggest looking for an older, used Benelli SBE. Until I started collecting Benelli's, I only had a SBE that I bought in ~1994. Even after I started buying other models, I still preferred the original SBE over II and III (yes I owned and shot them too).

Would be very interested to hear why you prefer the SBE 1.

While I have an M2 and love it, it is more of a HD firearm and I think the others mentioned above would be a better fit for your intended use. Good luck on your decision and with Benelli, I don't think you could go wrong with whatever you choose. Ignore prices, save up and get quality! Good shootin' to ya and above all, have fun and STAY SAFE!

16 hours ago, remarkable said:

Would be very interested to hear why you prefer the SBE 1.

There are numerous reasons really. Some of the ComforTech stocks kind of break down after a while. I don't need/want it anyway. I don't really hunt geese anymore. When I used to travel to Canada and we would shoot boxes and boxes of 3.5" shells at high angles, it might have been nice. The amount of 3.5" I shoot now, I can handle it. I believe SBE1 is slightly lighter than later models (feels like it to me anyway). Contrary to popular opinion, I prefer the "low rib" of the original HK imports, plus those can do ghost loading if you are into such things. I also like the older bolt handle and round safety button but I'd guess those can be changed for a similar style.

The only things I do not like about the older ones versus the newest one is the "Benelli Thumb" issue has improved. Not as much as aftermarket options have, but still better. However, that is only one thing you will do once if you are a hunter. But, if you shoot 3 gun or similar fast load competition, you WILL do it. I guess the other thing is they no longer make the low rib barrels and SBE1 barrels are quite hard to come by. One can use SBEII barrels on the SBE1, but they have the taller rib, and they have a longer recoil lug which requires modifying the forearm (or buying a factory modded one). If you aren't familiar with the difference, you can see the differences on my pictures below. This is a pair of HK SBE's and a complete barrel set of low rib barrels and most of the SBE II high rib's.

1974122579_SBEwithtext-small.thumb.jpg.24677829c0951fd989ed7b7bfeffe063.jpg

466918405_Barrelswithcolorindicators.thumb.jpg.71f775e889b2c20647931719742bdea6.jpg

I also have an M1T, a pair of M3T Folders's, and a pair of M4's including the 11711 H20 model and also a 20 gauge Montefeltro. I've shot many of the others (lightweight, M2, 828U, and did own an SBE II and III. I think most people will love any Benelli they choose.

• 1 year later...

I started hunting with my dad's old beretta a302. Then moved to a 28 inch Benelli M2 sp. The only noticeable differences where the 6 extra ammo and decreased unload speed thanks to the faster inertia driven system of the Benelli. The recoil was also significantly less. Other than that the guns performed almost identically in tests in terms of range and spread. Reliability isn't an issue either since the only problem the old Beretta had was small crack caused by me shooting super magnum when the gun isnt even magnum rated. Where I'm going with this is that as much as people love to compare guns, unless you are comparing shotguns made 20 years apart there wont be any major differences. Especially with 2 shotguns with the same inertia driven system from the same company. I'd suggest you buy the one that sits better on your shoulder. 

• 9 months later...
On 4/5/2021 at 8:40 PM, benfrenchy74 said:

Hi all,

Now here's where I need help. I want the SBE3 with all my heart but have read so much bad publicity (POI, failure to feed/extract, etc ...) that a reliable workhorse of an M2 sound appealing uno online

Thoughts?

Thanks all in advance.

We use a SBE3 at work for sporting clays, it has reliability issues when shooting target loads. Quite often it'll stay locked open when shooting multiple rounds, which the M2 doesn't do. Biggest difference to me though is the feel of the gun. They shoulder different, some folks like the SBE feel more, I prefer the M2 feel.

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2023 at 11:49 PM, woodlander said:

We use a SBE3 at work for sporting clays, it has reliability issues when shooting target loads. Quite often it'll stay locked open when shooting multiple rounds, which the M2 doesn't do. Biggest difference to me though is the feel of the gun. They shoulder different, some folks like the SBE feel more, I prefer the M2 feel.

Try shooting 1 1/8 oz target loads. They are the same price, you can still get the el-cheapo stuff like at Wal-Mart. I'd bet it'll solve it for you.