Seeking advise on first Benelli purchase

ZarZ

I have had Mossberg 500/590s, and I be itching to get an M4 for years. The issues I'm having is you can't just buy what I want without being a LEO per Benelli policy. I would like a FL Magazine, collapsible stock, Night Sights, the #11715 model basically. So my two choices are the M1014 and the #11707. I see the recoil tube tube on the M1014 requires replacement to make the stock functional but the #11707 reportedly has the 3 position tube under the basic stock. The issue I'm seeing is you need both parts to make it work, can't seem to find parts suppliers for the M4, seems the aftermarket is limited and Benelli wants to hold onto the good stuff. I see people reference the Benelli Parts website, but for about 3 yrs of browsing 

Which one of those models would be the easiest to achieve my goals of C Stock and FL Mag? I seen the m1014 reportedly has more reliability because it has a thicker barrel? 

I suggest you scratch that M4 itch lol welcome to the forum!

You have to weigh the options, cost, and your tools/ability to each option.

With the 1014 you get the collapsible stock (which is currently worth 800 to 1000 bucks) and you get a fixed choke barrel (barrel is not threaded for chokes) is that is something you prefer - I have not seen the info about the 1014 barrel being thicker per se, just that it is not threaded for chokes.  Downside is that you do not have the 3 position recoil tube.  So in order to make the collapsible stock functional on the 1014, you will have to buy a new recoil tube - which are spotty to find right now, and then will have to put in some serious work to get the old tube off safely.  You are going to need some serious heat/torque/work.  Use the search function here, there are some good walk throughs.  All that being said, it is still possible to do it all.  You will still have the limited magazine tube to deal with and remove but a heat gun and some patience and you can easily take care of that on your own.  

With the 11707, you will have a 3 positon recoil tube under the stock, so that hard work is done.  You will have to find and buy a collapsible stock (800-1000 bucks).  With the barrel you will get one that is threaded for chokes if that is something you prefer.  You will still have to deal with taking off and replacing the limited magazine tube but again, not too hard to do.

Parts wise, the collapsible stock is what it is.  Gunbroker and Ebay are the wild west.  For the magazine tube there are lots of fantastic options - on this forum SOCOMguy tubes are well regarded, Dave's Metal Works makes great tubes, CarrierComp and Freedom Fighter Tactical make great titanium tubes that will shave some weight off the gun, Briley makes a carbon fiber tube that looks pretty nice on the gun too.  Many options available - prices range from less than 100 bucks up to well into the 200/300 range for a full length tube.

I am not a lawyer and did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night but a note you may or may not know about is 922(r) which is compliance parts.  If you replace the magazine tube and go for the collapsible stock, you will need a total of 4 American made parts on the gun.  The magazine tube would be 1, a new follower in the magazine tube would be 2.  That means you would need 2 more American parts from a specific parts list replaced - so that means parts inside the trigger or a new trigger guard and parts inside the trigger, etc.  GREAT info here: Learn 922(r) – Freedom Fighter Tactical

Others will chime in on which option might be best but for me personally, I took option 2 and did the 11707 and am replacing and setting it up the way I want but you might feel that the 1014 option is better for you/your situation/skills and abilities.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Big dog covered most of it. 

There is an instant gratification route, but it is initially costly. You’d have to buy two M4’s, a M1014 and an 11707 or similar variant. You’d swap stocks from the M1014 onto the 11707 variant and install a full length magazine tube. You could then sell the M1014 with the fixed pistol grip stock.

General consensus for 922 compliance is you need at least four US made parts. A US made full length magazine tube and follower count for two of those parts. You then have options for the other two, A&S engineering trigger frame, Briley/FFT/Benelli parts trigger/disconnector/hammer kits (counts for 3 parts), handguard or rail systems from various makers.

Other options is a slower route. Waiting around for a 3 position receiver extension and having it installed to make the collapsible stock is certainly an option. The m1014’s barrel isn’t really heavier, it just wasn’t threaded for a choke. Briley will thread the barrel for you for around 160.00 if you want that option. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

There is an instant gratification route, but it is initially costly. You’d have to buy two M4’s, a M1014 and an 11707 or similar variant. You’d swap stocks from the M1014 onto the 11707 variant and install a full length magazine tube. You could then sell the M1014 with the fixed pistol grip stock.

General consensus for 922 compliance is you need at least four US made parts. A US made full length magazine tube and follower count for two of those parts. You then have options for the other two, A&S engineering trigger frame, Briley/FFT/Benelli parts trigger/disconnector/hammer kits (counts for 3 parts), handguard or rail systems from various makers.

Other options is a slower route. Waiting around for a 3 position receiver extension and having it installed to make the collapsible stock is certainly an option. The m1014’s barrel isn’t really heavier, it just wasn’t threaded for a choke. Briley will thread the barrel for you for around 160.00 if you want that option. 

I did think about the "instant gratification" route, and at these stock prices you and bigdog listed $800-$1,000, but like you said, the initial investment is steep, and then hassle of locating a buyer, but may be my only option that makes sense. Hate to pay for half an M4 and only get like 2% of the parts ordering just the stock.

I have done research on the 922r for these some, I read the FFT Trigger pack was 3 points and lighter trigger pull, I was thinking of building a new trigger pack from all the US parts I could in the A&S Trigger Frame, that way if I mess it up I still have the factory Unit as a backup if I need to revert back. So that would be 4, the mag tube (read good things about SOCOMguy tubes) and USA follower. Which I would be at 6 total compliancy parts. Plus there are the handrails and such.

Is there a way to get the 14" barrel as a civilian to Form1 a SBS? I could do that with the second M4 if I go that route.

I think these two guys covered everything to the nth degree for you. However, I would add just one caveat.....I would not buy the gun sight unseen, like from GB or other online dealer that use a generic photo of a Benelli M4, because you very well might get one of Benelli's "COVID BLUE" receivers (as I call them) as has happened to several forum members here.

Some have liked the blue colored receivers but, some have also hated it. Benelli gave a disingenuous excuse, (as far as I am concerned) as to why the change occurred from a normal parkerized type finish to a somewhat electric blue finish that has been on their M4 receivers as of late.

Take a look around here for what the blue ones look like to see if you will like it or not.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Evolution said:

I think these two guys covered everything to the nth degree for you. However, I would add just one caveat.....I would not buy the gun sight unseen, like from GB or other online dealer that use a generic photo of a Benelli M4, because you very well might get one of Benelli's "COVID BLUE" receivers (as I call them) as has happened to several forum members here.

Some have liked the blue colored receivers but, some have also hated it. Benelli gave a disingenuous excuse, (as far as I am concerned) as to why the change occurred from a normal parkerized type finish to a somewhat electric blue finish that has been on their M4 receivers as of late.

Take a look around here for what the blue ones look like to see if you will like it or not.

I have seen that, but while I prefer the black, I'm not against blue, its actually my favorite colour. Is it a particular model number or all of them? I'm more about features/function. Also like people have pointed out it may become a sought after variant down the road, and 2 tone is nice some times.

Ty for the input though, I like how people are responding so quickly here to my post.

1 hour ago, ZarZ said:

I did think about the "instant gratification" route, and at these stock prices you and bigdog listed $800-$1,000, but like you said, the initial investment is steep, and then hassle of locating a buyer, but may be my only option that makes sense. Hate to pay for half an M4 and only get like 2% of the parts ordering just the stock.

I have done research on the 922r for these some, I read the FFT Trigger pack was 3 points and lighter trigger pull, I was thinking of building a new trigger pack from all the US parts I could in the A&S Trigger Frame, that way if I mess it up I still have the factory Unit as a backup if I need to revert back. So that would be 4, the mag tube (read good things about SOCOMguy tubes) and USA follower. Which I would be at 6 total compliancy parts. Plus there are the handrails and such.

Is there a way to get the 14" barrel as a civilian to Form1 a SBS? I could do that with the second M4 if I go that route.

Yup other users have went that route with pretty decent success - get 2 guns, mix and match - live happy with your gun or guns.  IF you would go this route and decide to sell the 1014 gun that has bad stock tube - please make sure you disclose it to the buyer that they would not be able to just put a collapsible stock on it and expect it to work properly (since without the regular stock on, no one can see the bad recoil tube).  

You are correct on 922 - the FFT trigger pack is what many guys have done (me included) and paired it with an A&S triggerguard.  A word of additional advice - recently there have been reports of FFT trigger packs needing filed/sanded/stoned on the hammer a bit to get it to work properly in the A&S triggerguard - and the stock triggerguard for that matter.  I and others can verify the need for some fitting to get the FFT to work out of the box.  Just a word to the wise if you expect it to just drop in to the A&S and work clean.  If you have a file, sandpaper, or stone and patience - it is not a problem.  You also could luck out and have it drop in and work well.

I am not up on the SBS stuff and 14" barrel - I think I have read in other posts that people have said they are hard to come by and are pricey.

The other poster is correct about the blue - if it is a deal breaker that you may receive a blue one, see if you can find one in person or something beyond stock pictures on Gunbroker.
I ordered mine on Gunbroker in late March, brand new, stock photo from a gun shop.  Mine  is a black one with an IT marking after the serial but I am not sure what that means.

Edited by bigdog02
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bigdog02 said:

Yup other users have went that route with pretty decent success - get 2 guns, mix and match - live happy with your gun or guns.  IF you would go this route and decide to sell the 1014 gun that has bad stock tube - please make sure you disclose it to the buyer that they would not be able to just put a collapsible stock on it and expect it to work properly (since without the regular stock on, no one can see the bad recoil tube).  

You are correct on 922 - the FFT trigger pack is what many guys have done (me included) and paired it with an A&S triggerguard.  A word of additional advice - recently there have been reports of FFT trigger packs needing filed/sanded/stoned on the hammer a bit to get it to work properly in the A&S triggerguard - and the stock triggerguard for that matter.  I and others can verify the need for some fitting to get the FFT to work out of the box.  Just a word to the wise if you expect it to just drop in to the A&S and work clean.  If you have a file, sandpaper, or stone and patience - it is not a problem.  You also could luck out and have it drop in and work well.

I am not up on the SBS stuff and 14" barrel - I think I have read in other posts that people have said they are hard to come by and are pricey.

Ya I am upfront on all my dealings, I don't want to get burnt, nor would I want to burn anyone else.

Thats sad to hear about the FFT, makes me question using a product that is out of spec in such a high-end firearm, like is the hardening done right? My mind thinks "is it so soft it will mushroom or so hard it will break"

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ZarZ said:

Ya I am upfront on all my dealings, I don't want to get burnt, nor would I want to burn anyone else.

Thats sad to hear about the FFT, makes me question using a product that is out of spec in such a high-end firearm, like is the hardening done right? My mind thinks "is it so soft it will mushroom or so hard it will break"

Think of it more as "tolerance stacking" in mass produced products.

Sometimes it works out no problem. Sometimes it takes a little bit of fitting.

You can certainly buy a SBS 14” M4, just expect to wait for a long time before it gets out of NFA jail. I think there are some on gunbroker currently. 

Building a second trigger pack is doable, but some of the oem parts may be difficult to locate currently. Most never use the oem pack again once they’ve added all the parts they want. 

Always load a bunch of photos if selling on an auction site. The more you have, the more comfortable people are with committing. 

1 minute ago, StrangerDanger said:

You can certainly buy a SBS 14” M4, just expect to wait for a long time before it gets out of NFA jail. I think there are some on gunbroker currently. 

Building a second trigger pack is doable, but some of the oem parts may be difficult to locate currently. Most never use the oem pack again once they’ve added all the parts they want. 

Always load a bunch of photos if selling on an auction site. The more you have, the more comfortable people are with committing. 

I built a second trigger pack using the A&S frame, aftermarket safety, a bunch of Benelli OEM parts, and FFT trigger kit.  StrangerDanger has a great post on all the parts needed and how to assemble. He was a great help.  I probably didn't need to keep my original trigger intact but it was fun hunting down the parts and figuring out how to put everything together.  I'm pretty sure I posted a parts list with all the Benelli OEM part numbers you need to complete.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bigdog02 said:

Yup other users have went that route with pretty decent success - get 2 guns, mix and match - live happy with your gun or guns.  IF you would go this route and decide to sell the 1014 gun that has bad stock tube - please make sure you disclose it to the buyer that they would not be able to just put a collapsible stock on it and expect it to work properly (since without the regular stock on, no one can see the bad recoil tube).  

The other poster is correct about the blue - if it is a deal breaker that you may receive a blue one, see if you can find one in person or something beyond stock pictures on Gunbroker.
I ordered mine on Gunbroker in late March, brand new, stock photo from a gun shop.  Mine  is a black one with an IT marking after the serial but I am not sure what that means.

I can attest for the need to adjust the hammer on a recently purchased FFT trigger kit when installed on a A&S trigger guard.  It works great now.  There's a great video on the A&S Facebook page that shows one of the potential issues and how to test the trigger.

• 2 weeks later...

It came into my FFL on the 9th, but I couldn't pick it up till today cause he was in the hospital. The receiver is Black Black, and the manufacture year is 21. Need to tweak the foam in my 3gun case for that insane LOP on the stock. Was strange that it comes only in cardboard unassembled, when far cheaper guns come with a cheap plastic case. not whining, just caught off guard.

3gun.jpg

image0 (3).jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

The carrier was one of the first things I replaced. The stock one tore my thumb up. The taran carrier is awesome and makes loading much more comfortable. Once you start with the upgrades your screwed LOL........it is addictive. You ll love it man they are so much fun to shoot.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jaason0 said:

The carrier was one of the first things I replaced. The stock one tore my thumb up. The taran carrier is awesome and makes loading much more comfortable. Once you start with the upgrades your screwed LOL........it is addictive. You ll love it man they are so much fun to shoot.

Ya not my first ride on the crazy mod train lol, it is a curse. My cars, motorcycles, firearms, computers, etc are all modded or  build with my own hands. 

No kids to put through college or drug addiction so I blow my money on toys. 

I am working on a heck of a mod todo list for this.

• Like 1

Interesting thread. I'm new to the forum. I got my 11701 from Carolina C---b-- last week: paid $2251.98 and have a 2rd mag extension coming from Botach.

This is all I plan to do with it, it's just a home defense gun. I'm running Nobili Sport Italia #4 buck in it for now because it was #4 buck and was $1.15 a round. I'm told #4 buck won't go through two layers of sheet rock to hurt family members in the next room.

My personal opinion to anybody thinking of buying an M4: I think I got a bargain and that it'll be selling for $3000 before the year is up, that is IF you're even allowed to buy one legally. So get what you can get now while the getting is possible.

Am following the advice of some more experienced guys: holding the gun firmly against the shoulder until it's well broken in (200-300rds of 00); NOT looking down the barrel to see why that last round didn't fire. LOL

Seriously, hoping to find some new friends and maybe find somebody to justify buying some #8 so I can do some duck hunting... here in Florida.

Found out about "2 3/4", what that really means, and why the Nobili Sport Italia ammo won't load 5 rounds into my mag: It's 2 1/2" long BEFORE firing.

Edited by Morton
clarify

On 4/21/2021 at 2:46 PM, BallChange said:

Congrats on the purchase! The aftermarket for the M4 is expensive but lots of cool and practical options out there if you're willing to look. 

Thanks BallChange.

I'm not looking to trick it out too much. I purchased the Benelli because it's an heirloom home defense gun, something I'll give to my grandson. It doesn't need rubber o-rings to function like the AR and I'll never have to worry about shot going through walls to hurt family members as long as I'm shooting #4 buck or smaller.

I'm adding 2 more things to it: a paddle style bolt release lever from RxArms that's gonna cover up my American flag :( and a sling from VikingTactics dot com.

I think military with my armory: I never have a round in the chamber unless I'm on alert. So my M4 is sitting there with 4 Nobili Sport Italia #4 buck in the mag and one on top of the carrier. These are some seriously powerful LE shells! 27 #4 pellets coming out at 1325fps! They're tall brass BTW so you can't get 5 in a 5rd tube, but as I said I'm getting the 2rd extension tube (today matter-of-fact) and I'm pretty sure it will then load 6 in the tube (they're not that tall) and have 1 on top of the carrier. In case you're wondering NSI also has some 00 buck shells with 12 pellets going 1290fps.

7 little 2 1/2" long cans of 12ga whoopass should be enough to deter a home invader or two. Hell maybe the sound of me racking that first one might send them a-runnin'.

"Hell maybe the sound of me racking that first one might send them a-runnin'."

Even if you've never seen or touched a shotgun before, the sound of the charging handle being jacked and then released will give anyone pause in the dark. It's the unmistakable sound of uh-oh!