Seeking advise on first Benelli purchase

ZarZ

5 hours ago, alpha 33 said:

"Hell maybe the sound of me racking that first one might send them a-runnin'."

Even if you've never seen or touched a shotgun before, the sound of the charging handle being jacked and then released will give anyone pause in the dark. It's the unmistakable sound of uh-oh!

I can attest to that sound sending a miscreant running.  Had someone try to break-in about 2 AM and I greeted his efforts with a single rack of an 870.  Noise stopped.  And only wet footprints left on my front porch.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:12 AM, Morton said:

Thanks BallChange.

I'm not looking to trick it out too much. I purchased the Benelli because it's an heirloom home defense gun, something I'll give to my grandson. It doesn't need rubber o-rings to function like the AR and I'll never have to worry about shot going through walls to hurt family members as long as I'm shooting #4 buck or smaller.

I'm adding 2 more things to it: a paddle style bolt release lever from RxArms that's gonna cover up my American flag :( and a sling from VikingTactics dot com.

I think military with my armory: I never have a round in the chamber unless I'm on alert. So my M4 is sitting there with 4 Nobili Sport Italia #4 buck in the mag and one on top of the carrier. These are some seriously powerful LE shells! 27 #4 pellets coming out at 1325fps! They're tall brass BTW so you can't get 5 in a 5rd tube, but as I said I'm getting the 2rd extension tube (today matter-of-fact) and I'm pretty sure it will then load 6 in the tube (they're not that tall) and have 1 on top of the carrier. In case you're wondering NSI also has some 00 buck shells with 12 pellets going 1290fps.

7 little 2 1/2" long cans of 12ga whoopass should be enough to deter a home invader or two. Hell maybe the sound of me racking that first one might send them a-runnin'.

Yeah, I don't like to alter the basic functions of a firearm, especially an expensive one. I like to keep things as OEM as possible. I've actually ordered the mag tube and paddle release from Rxarms because we're both in Canada. It's a simple piece, seems fine enough. I'd suggest a light, especially considering it's use in the house. I got an AVA mount with a SF 600 light on there from StrangerDanger and it sits perfectly in front of my left hand. I've heard good things about the IWC light mount too. 

I had a mag extension and it wasn't ideal. Makes disassembly annoying having to get the spring in and out every time. Would highly recommend a 1-piece mag tube. Luckily you have lots of options in the states, with the catch of 922r lol.

I guess this gives me an excuse to post it lol. I'm hoping to switch to an entry, then it needs a velcro saddle, CompM5, and some paint and I'll never let er go.

PneSxM1Wc1Pa7Y0GWoNdGkwwEtY5DbtVq6hMIQ0FuueufLHXJbkr-eo941YDwXg-Spj8XM6J6CMtOEnUVwnKnuEoaUvtJaeHDnZQ1LrCWpZ7rtTwMBFc3wBT17Pgeuv5z3fwWjJhOsGotvT5GIVbiSt5KaX2tnEqo_PwsagQWVenxaKZ6XOqnLUb0pKjlc4X-pDJnCy_uiGYYbtURKamgDRMVBH76Kd8Xtm7nlU50mc4_aRPVFD5XmxUzmeJekJjsBRv7DMFjoF_sY-3i70vJsaeFP3T0rYUgl5ypsA5ic3hHUqEE0O5b_UC0-y0L2s_2rKgQrTe5id9JCp0bMXB3ub8w5LWmtv665eCyYpXnBM1rarSY7WA8DX3UuOfCOmbR6q_tNVb7rPxQkAkbcmwg0zBsYGEe4VyzBnc6mVosAHQyN8d0hCn0KSw9dBKKWoQlbFtogMfefTuYBSBO2J4ah2ncLwMtWk8BQBZ-pf9KLhTiGv4x7bJYpn0jfpkZiJBbvbDvP2uRKOGh71r8AIpjavic7bmdyxiqUiH-HHXtKcPXyrp8XLpsHIvWSYcj9j2iriN6JnqSr9CQx-sP9Gb_jclcx9t0B8uYhAC02sVUv5CPOE6pGT-5KzCdJz36UqaKPtWgz_I5Kiv4uznQeIznJjRJt8gVsJTp0NQhprtcN8lKqzXlmDvf19TE-Z1zaQgGnQEOeDJCZoUsr5_yueUE_Yt=w1680-h817-no?authuser=0

• Upvote 1

I don't consider the addition of a light, scope or red dot a modification of the firearm itself: I already had a light mounted on an offset holder with the finger pad held on the forestock using a 1/4" wide zip tie that slides forward when disassembling. Oh, and that 2rd tube works perfectly and is the same color as the original.

About that: there is no need to unscrew the 2rd extension tube, the barrel will clear it. And it does allow an extra 2rds of short brass, I could put 6rds of short brass and 1rd of this tall NSI #4 buck, but why would I do that? If I'm defending, it seems silly to follow up 2rds of #4 buck with 6rds of #8 steel bird shot. 5 more rounds of #4 buck and a whole crowd of rioters are gonna be doing the SIBSA dance. (That's the S**t! I'm Being Shot At! dance.)

Nope, I'm more sure than ever that the 2rd extension tube is the way to go. I don't have to deal with the spring, which is not difficult anyways. But I will be able to clean or clear out the magazine tube if I need to without having to have a pair of snap-ring pliers. (BTW, never oil that tube! Keep it dry and use graphite dry lube if you want.)

My M4 is now as the Marine Corps wanted and even better. I can field strip, clean and lubricate the gun, and the magazine tube, with no tools except the "tool" that it comes with: the bolt handle.

YouTube has the official Benelli M4 disassembly and assembly videos every owner should see. It's a beautiful design that follows in the tried and true war environment standards of such weapons as the venerable M1 Garand: something you don't even need a screwdriver to maintain battle readiness... only it is MUCH simpler and with bigger parts that make it harder to lose something in the dark.

One other thing, off topic. If you want to remove the factory magazine tube, take out the trigger group, and point a heat gun right at the tube from where the trigger group was and it will melt the thread locker in less than a minute. The tube will be too hot to grab bare handed, but a rag will give you enough grip to get it off. I got mine off to turn the gun into a takedown that will fit into a back pack or suitcase. With the way things are beginning to look in Washington (and Ottowa), it might be a good idea to be able to go get a locker at a bus station and put a suitcase in there for storage, that is, not to be seen storing a rifle case or needing a locker that big. Just a traveling salesman putting his sample case away while he stays the night in a motel.