Are muzzle brakes worth while ?

Gmcrigger2007

Iv'e never shot anything but slugs and 00 buck from my M4, both full power loads and LE reduced recoil shells. I think that the recoil is already so soft with the M4, especially if you've got a limbsaver pad in place, that on balance, adding a few inches to the length of the gun as a home defense tool, is not worth the gain one might perceive from the MB.

Recoil from the M4 is nowhere near as severe as a pump SG. JMO. 

55 minutes ago, Evolution said:

Iv'e never shot anything but slugs and 00 buck from my M4, both full power loads and LE reduced recoil shells. I think that the recoil is already so soft with the M4, especially if you've got a limbsaver pad in place, that on balance, adding a few inches to the length of the gun as a home defense tool, is not worth the gain one might perceive from the MB.

Recoil from the M4 is nowhere near as severe as a pump SG. JMO. 

Probably you right, to me this all new (Shotguns, Slugs) but I am really liked Tactical  Muzzle Brake.

For you or anyone else that comes along that doesn't already know how/why guns recoil and how a muzzle brake would help:

Muzzle brakes do reduce recoil in nearly all guns. However, the amount it helps largely comes down to the cartridge caliber/ammo, the weight of the gun, and the design/size of the muzzle brake. You may remember Newton's Third Law of Motion - for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Most of the recoil that we feel is from the energy (gas) that normally all comes out the muzzle creating a "jet effect" pushing the gun rearward as the projectile(s) leave the barrel. With a muzzle brake, it It helps by redirecting some of that energy (gas) sideways and/or rearward. The rearward portion gives a somewhat offsetting gas "jet". For the gas that vents to the side only, it doesn't have this reverse jet effect, but it still helps due to the fact that the gas is being dispersed equally to the sides instead of from the muzzle.

There is another minor recoil that a muzzle brake does not effect in any way. When the gun is first fired, it has to get the weight of the charge and projectile moving. This recoil is slight comparatively, since one is talking about a few hundredths of a pound compared to a 7-15 pound firearm, but I mention it to be thorough.

A muzzle brake on my light weight, short barrelled 450 Marlin is a welcome addition. My 10/22 Ruger has a removable muzzle brake that I can't tell if it is on there or not (I bought it because it was threaded already in the right threads for my suppressor).

One last thing to mention is that a muzzle brake is louder for those to the sides and behind the firearm than one that fires only out the muzzle. Large weapons (like main batteries on tanks and ships) also can utilize muzzle brakes. The largest of these can be dangerous to be near due to the muzzle blast.

Edited by bambihunter

I have the OEM benelli M4 brake but I never shoot with it. I bought it because its a factory addition and the quality of it is beautiful, and it plain just looks sick on the gun. However in all practicality it weighs a ton hanging off the end of my barrel and makes it too long and even more clumsy, and so it just stays in the safe.