Mesa Tactical Side Saddle Damage?

Larry L

Hello, 

I’ve heard conflicting reports about whether or not the Mesa Tactical Side Saddle will damage my M4. Is there a group consensus on this?

the company said the old style that screws in thru the sides can cause damage, but the one that goes in from the top with the Pic rail would not damage to gun at all.

is this accurate? I really wanted one, but then hesitated when I read about the damage it can do

The old model from like 15 years ago shipped with the wrong thread pitch screws and caused damage. The new ones should be fine. The saddle may leave some marks on the side of your receiver. The unit has a rubberized pad to help protect the finish, but it can still cause burnishing.

Personally, I'd go with a velcro system over the Mesa saddle.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

The old model from like 15 years ago shipped with the wrong thread pitch screws and caused damage. The new ones should be fine. The saddle may leave some marks on the side of your receiver. The unit has a rubberized pad to help protect the finish, but it can still cause burnishing.

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking as well so I bought the Esstac cards. I cleaned the metal, heated it, applied the Velcro, and still it pealed right off after removing the card several times

Acetone or 70% alcohol in several clean rags should do it. The trouble with those wipe pads is there usually just isn’t enough surface area to remove contaminants. You end up just pushing them around. Clean, let it dry, clean again, and repeat maybe a third time to make sure the surface is prepped. Avoid touching the area with bare fingers since your skin has a lot of oil in it. Wait until it is completely dry, then adhere the Velcro. Give it 24 - 72 hours to set up before ripping the sleeve off and on. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/21/2021 at 8:43 PM, StrangerDanger said:

Hey StrangerDanger, who makes the velcro system you're referring to?

7 hours ago, GhillieGhost said:

Hey StrangerDanger, who makes the velcro system you're referring to?

Esstac makes the ones I usually use. There may be other brands out there that provide similar performance. If you buy multiple Velcro sleeves, you can rip them off and on as needed. Some people set up chest rigs with Velcro on them so they can swap out the carriers as needed. 

On 4/21/2021 at 8:43 PM, StrangerDanger said:

Personally, I'd go with a velcro system over the Mesa 

Edited by GhillieGhost

22 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Esstac makes the ones I usually use. There may be other brands out there that provide similar performance. If you buy multiple Velcro sleeves, you can rip them off and on as needed. Some people set up chest rigs with Velcro on them so they can swap out the carriers as needed. 

Excellent. Thank you sir!