Buckshot shoots soft

RJHUB

I have been shooting Fiocchi 00Buck and Federal no. 8 birdshot.

The buckshot surprisingly, is quite noticebly softer recoiling.   Never had this happen in any other shotgun.

Usually the other way around.   I have a case of black ace 00 that I will test next.

• 2 months later...

OK. I finally shot the Black Ace 00buck today.  It will only load 6 in the 7rnd tube.  Pretty good size shell.

It kicked like a mule.  Patterned pretty tight at 10 and 20yds.  I shot the M4 and Beretta 1301 LTT.

They handle the recoil totally different.  You can feel how the weight of the M4 absorbs the recoil better.

The 1301 handles it surprisingly well.   You can feel both after a full tube of rapid fire.  But very manageable.

7 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

I have become a huge fan of Federal's reduced recoil ammo. Mainly due to flash out of my SBS. You can see 3 full-power and 3 reduced recoil flite control 9 pellet rounds used in this video, and EASILY tell them apart.

That looks and sounds like you're shooting a .22LR rifle...How did you get it to shoot so smoothly? How does the flash affect the recoil?  And is the recoil low because of the low recoil shells?  What FPS are those Federal reduced recoil shells?  That actually looks enjoyable.  Shooting my M4 is like going to the dentist and getting my fillings recoiled out of my teeth.

7 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

I have become a huge fan of Federal's reduced recoil ammo. Mainly due to flash out of my SBS. You can see 3 full-power and 3 reduced recoil flite control 9 pellet rounds used in this video, and EASILY tell them apart.

nevermind...just noticed the description in the video....good stuff.  How many total rounds do you think you might have through your gun?  It must be really well broken in to cycle so well with those shells.

Edited by DailyEDC

8 hours ago, DailyEDC said:

nevermind...just noticed the description in the video....good stuff.  How many total rounds do you think you might have through your gun?  It must be really well broken in to cycle so well with those shells.

It cycled them from day 1. All of my M4's have run those fine.

8 hours ago, DailyEDC said:

That looks and sounds like you're shooting a .22LR rifle...How did you get it to shoot so smoothly? How does the flash affect the recoil?  And is the recoil low because of the low recoil shells?  What FPS are those Federal reduced recoil shells?  That actually looks enjoyable.  Shooting my M4 is like going to the dentist and getting my fillings recoiled out of my teeth.

The flash doesn't affect recoil at all. It affects night vision, although minimally due to autogating and all that jazz.

I have chronographed them at around 1100 fps or so, give or take.

Benelli M4's don't really kick so much as they just twitch a little in your hands as they go through the firing sequence. This is Winchester Ranger 1325fps 9-pellet:

Edited by Unobtanium

5 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

The flash doesn't affect recoil at all. It affects night vision, although minimally due to autogating and all that jazz.

I have chronographed them at around 1100 fps or so, give or take.

Benelli M4's don't really kick so much as they just twitch a little in your hands as they go through the firing sequence. This is Winchester Ranger 1325fps 9-pellet:

They don't really kick?  What gun are you talking about..haha.  maybe it's my 5'8 150 lb body or maybe I need to take a course on shooting it properly but mine kicks like a mf.  But I've been using 1550 FPS shells to avoid jamming and also because I bought a truckload on sale so that could be it.....I'm jealous.  If someone breaks into my house in the middle of the night, I'll probably try to verbally negotiate a reasonable outcome before I'm forced to pull the trigger and deal with the recoil.

Look up Rob Haught’s shotgun shooting techniques. A lot of guys let the recoil push them around. They let their shoulder roll back with the recoil and lose their sight picture under the recoil process. You want to present your shoulder firmly so that it doesn’t have anywhere to go during thr cycle. With a solid wide base stance, and a push/pull technique on the forend and pistol grip, your arms act like recoil absorbers. Each person is a little different, but I experiment with pulling the shotgun into your shoulder with your pistol grip hand, and push forward with the forend. You’ll need a kung-fu grip on the forend to counter your rearward pull of your main hand. You still want the shotgun to be overall pulled into your shoulder in the sweet spot pocket of your shoulder. Getting into this pocket will reduce the amount of bruising you’ll normally see. If you’re on your chest too much, you’ll definitely see more bruising. The farther out on your arm will result in the recoil leveraging your arm more. This is where having a sling properly set up on a shotgun is crucial. If you’re right handed and you have the sling attached to the left side of the buttstock, chances are the sling will bunch up between your chest and the stock and prevent you from getting the pad into the pocket correctly. Attaching to the ejection port side for a righty prevents this and helps minimize weapon roll when you go hands off. The front sling attachment for a righty should be on the left side preferably ahead of the handguards. Ie: the factory mount or something like the IWC light/sling mount solution.

So imagine 70% pull into the shoulder, 30% pushed forward.  This significantly reduces the muzzle climb. If you have that solid base, your sight alignment will not change, and you shouldn’t be loosing your irons or optic sight picture during recoil. You’ll be behind the optic or irons the entire time without much movement. 

A solid base will make your shotgun perform better too. It’ll cycle faster and tolerate more anemic loads. When firing the Benelli, I can hear how fast the action is cycling. It tells me if I’m doing my job in providing a solid base or if I’m flubbing it. When I’m doing my job, the cycle is nearly instant. When I’m doing a bad job, I can feel the bolt hit the rear, then spring forward. This is more pronounced with weaker dram loads.

Adding a Limbsaver does help with perceived recoil. Realistically I’d say a standard pad will cut 25-30% or perceived recoil with no noticeable slowing of shot to shot times. No reduction in capability in cycling lower dram loads. The only thing I don’t like about them is the rubber is tacky and drags on clothing where as the oem one slides over clothing. 

Getting the forend stippled helps with the forward push grip. Tango Arms does a fantastic job with them. I can’t wait to show you guys the OD green/NP3 M4 I’m building with the OD green stippled forend!

Np3 options improve this further by making the action cycle more efficient. 

43 minutes ago, ruger said:

true story,i was at dragon mans gun range in colorado springs.shooting my AR on the 200 yard range.guy sets up next to me with barrett 50 cal, I wasn't paying attn,to him. he was about 20 feet to my right, his barrett had a v shaped brake on the end of the barrel when he fired off the first round everything on my table went flying. my targets my hat my sun glasses. my water bottle. he says sorry man i should have warned you .here take a few shots  that's the least i can do. those are bad ass.

I had a chance back in 2014 or therabouts to buy an L82A1 with optic and 500rds for $7500 from a co-worker. Passed on it, and semi regret it. 

On 6/26/2021 at 11:08 PM, Unobtanium said:

I had a chance back in 2014 or therabouts to buy an L82A1 with optic and 500rds for $7500 from a co-worker. Passed on it, and semi regret it. 

Semi regret it ???? And she's just a little pregnant too. ?

10 hours ago, alpha 33 said:

Semi regret it ???? And she's just a little pregnant too. ?

I'm somewhat practical. Yes I could have flipped it for money, but I also can flip stocks for money, too, with less hassle. I just have zero use for a .50 and it would fall under the "That's cool...but why?" for me, as it would add no more capability than I already have, in my AO. If I lived in NV or Montana or something where I really had some range, yes, absolutely!

11 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

I just have zero use for a .50 and it would fall under the "That's cool...but why?"

Agreed. Then again, why own more guns 'n ammo than you can run with? But I've been guilty of just that over the years. I have whittled mine down to 3 calibers., .223 / 12ga. and .45acp.......Here I go again, now I have 4 Benelli m4's??????????????????If the $hit hits the fan I'll only be taking one. It's a sickness I reckon. Alpha33 out.......................................

3 hours ago, alpha 33 said:

Agreed. Then again, why own more guns 'n ammo than you can run with? But I've been guilty of just that over the years. I have whittled mine down to 3 calibers., .223 / 12ga. and .45acp.......Here I go again, now I have 4 Benelli m4's??????????????????If the $hit hits the fan I'll only be taking one. It's a sickness I reckon. Alpha33 out.......................................

I agree.  But looks like your truck can carry a few more.  I'm sticking to the truckload method.

11 hours ago, alpha 33 said:

I've whittled things down a good bit myself. I own two Hodge MOD 2's (14.5 and an 11.5 that was a collab project), an M4 SBS, and a few pistols, some cooler than others. Also, a SNT 18.5" pump gun, because I need a beater, lol! I plan to buy another M4 SBS, but other than that I honestly want for nothing except a .300WM bolt gun for Alaska, etc. I'll likely snag a Ruger American with threaded barrel. I have a Surefire 762RC SOCOM that I need to find a host for, and that sounds like it.

My Dad on the other hand, owns everything from a Calico .22 rifle to a C Sharps .45-70, to a Colt 6724, to a menagerie of very heavy bolt guns in various calibers. He is a collector not a shooter, though. Plop him at a bench and he's happy, more or less.