Newbie, M1014 upgrades and ammo choice?

LowBoost

I have wanted a M4 Tactical for a while and did some homework for a while on the different models. Long story short, just like some others, when I placed the order, I got the M1014 instead. Not a big deal as I can eventually get the 3 position buffer tube. Shame though it has no threaded barrel for chokes. This being said, I have a couple of doubts / questions I hope the great fellow members can help sort out:

1) I plan on getting a Briley 3Gun MLok handguard. I would prefer the 13" version, which I need to remove the factory sling adapter and ring. Is there any advantage or disadvantage from 8" or 13" handguard that I may be overlooking?

2) It seems the Modlite M600IB is a nice candidate. Which mount would work for the Briley handguard

3) Which ammo are seeing best results with for the M1014? (00 Buck and Slugs). I managed to find some Federal TruBall Low Recoil Slugs and have had no luck finding Federal Flight Control 00 buck 8 pellets. Would these be accurate in the M1014 or which are better options?

4) Any experience what works best between RMR, SRO or H2/T2 optic?

5) Any recommended or must have upgrades? Besides weight and looks is there any other benefit from the Briley carbon extended tube?

I already have the FFT 3/4 charge handle and plan on getting the extended bolt release. Once I get the extended mag ext tube, which brand of follower, would you recommend?

I live 20 minutes away from Briley, should I just spend some extra money and have them do the trigger work and install their carbon tube and handguard? Maybe and extended carrier?

I will appreciate your suggestions!

My upgrades in the order I got them: (Answer to question 5 I guess)

- *Benelli Collapsible stock
- *7rnd Mag Tube (USA Made, +US Follower, +US Handguard, +US Hammer - to attain 922r compliance. ?)
- Tritium inserts for Ghost Ring sights
- MatchSaver for an extra shell
- *IWC Light Mount
- *Modlite PLHv2 on the IWC
- *Blue Force Gear Sling
- *Bigger charging handle
- Stippled my handguard myself (first time I ever stippled and came out great. Super easy to do)
- Trijicon RMR on a ScalarWorks Mount

The items with the asterisk in front are MY choice for "must have" upgrades.

Answer to question 1 and 2: It's hard to beat the ergonomical feel of the stock handguard, which is why I went with a US made clone that feels the exact same. I've held the gun with other handguards and they just aren't as good in my opinion.

Answer to question 3: After firing over 2,000 shells through my M4, from the cheapest/lightest target loads to heavy magnum loads, not a single one failed or misfired, unless I was letting a friend shoot and they let the recoil throw them back so the next round didn't cycle. Note that I clean my gun after every 100 shells or so, which could explain the results. My home defense shells are Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buckshot. I also can consistently hit an 8 inch gong at 100 yards with any slugs I have tried. I may miss 1 shot because the slug flies different than the one I sighted it in for, but once I see where I missed, I can adjust and hit 3 times in a row. The slugs I have recently been using are Federal Premium.

Answer to question 4: The stock Ghost Ring sights are really great. For low light, you can get the same sights with tritium inserts. They will get most jobs done. But, if a red dot is what you want, I prefer a Trijicon RMR because you can use the ScalarWorks mount, which is very slick and just low enough to barely co-witness the ghost rings in case of sight failure. You can also technically use a Holosun with the ScalarWorks mount (though not sure how well the co-witness is with it).

Lastly, an upgrade I kinda recommend but don't have myself yet, is an extended bolt release. That's probably the next (and final) upgrade I'll do... for now...

Edited by FFMichael
spelling error

3 hours ago, LowBoost said:

1) I plan on getting a Briley 3Gun MLok handguard. I would prefer the 13" version, which I need to remove the factory sling adapter and ring. Is there any advantage or disadvantage from 8" or 13" handguard that I may be overlooking?

Weight

2) It seems the Modlite M600IB is a nice candidate. Which mount would work for the Briley handguard

Any mlok mount will work. I'm partial to quality of Arisaka mounts though.

4) Any experience what works best between RMR, SRO or H2/T2 optic?

Didn't try SRO, but did play around with an RMR and T2, both on Scalar mounts. I preferred the RMR, bit that's personal. Both were fine and quality.

5) Any recommended or must have upgrades? Besides weight and looks is there any other benefit from the Briley carbon extended tube?

Sling. Trigger. CF tube if you're chasing weight savings.

I already have the FFT 3/4 charge handle and plan on getting the extended bolt release. Once I get the extended mag ext tube, which brand of follower, would you recommend?

Follower honestly doesn't matter much. It holds the spring and pushes the round. Not rocket science. Just get one made in the US as they're all pretty much the same.

I live 20 minutes away from Briley, should I just spend some extra money and have them do the trigger work and install their carbon tube and handguard? Maybe and extended carrier?

If you buy their trigger, only they can install the trigger. They won't send it to you to install. Install the tube and guard yourself... That's easy.