MR Light Recoil Spring Reliability

ArthurMorgan

Ok so I'm at well over 400 rounds of high brass loads and other various loads. High brass stuff nothing has been less than about 1250 fps. My M4 is flawless with high brass but still isn't cycling low brass very well. About 3 out of every 7 won't cycle. I've cleaned and lubed it well, and I'm aware it needs to be broken in, just thought it would be there by now.

Are lighter recoil springs viable and reliable? I want to run cheap stuff for plinking and it still be reliable with everything else.

If not it's not a huge deal. I understand the design of the weapon and what it's role is. Ultimately as long as it functions fine with buckshot I'm happy but it sure would be fun to have it run flawless with light loads. 

I think some people just get unlucky. My M4 ran light loads without any issue from day 1, but I've read about a lot of people experiencing what you are. Because mine runs fine, I never tried a lighter spring. My only small suggestion would be to also make certain you have a good shooting stance. A weak shooting stance might throw you back just enough to not give the light loads enough recoil. Your stance might be perfect, I'm not assuming anything. But just wanted to put it out there just in case. Hopefully someone else here will be able to speak on lighter springs.

• Like 1

The issue with light main springs is they might not have the energy to reliably chamber a round. The carrier can hang up with a round on the elevator and it might not have the energy to force the round into the chamber. As you get close to the edge of function, things like improper stance can cause it to fail. The user then usually has to slap the bolt handle forward to get it into battery. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FFMichael said:

I think some people just get unlucky. My M4 ran light loads without any issue from day 1, but I've read about a lot of people experiencing what you are. Because mine runs fine, I never tried a lighter spring. My only small suggestion would be to also make certain you have a good shooting stance. A weak shooting stance might throw you back just enough to not give the light loads enough recoil. Your stance might be perfect, I'm not assuming anything. But just wanted to put it out there just in case. Hopefully someone else here will be able to speak on lighter springs.

I'm fairly certain it's gonna get better with time as it breaks in more. Just a minor annoyance right now. Guess I'm just not one of the lucky guys that got the runs right out the box guns. But t least it's black and not blue ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

The issue with light main springs is they might not have the energy to reliably chamber a round. The carrier can hang up with a round on the elevator and it might not have the energy to force the round into the chamber. As you get close to the edge of function, things like improper stance can cause it to fail. The user then usually has to slap the bolt handle forward to get it into battery. 

Yeah I think I'm gonna pass on it. It does what it's designed to do now technically. Go screwing with stuff then it won't don't anything right. I've always steered away from lighter than oem springs. Except on my Beretta 92fs. HAD to replace the firing pin spring. 

1 hour ago, ArthurMorgan said:

Yeah I think I'm gonna pass on it. It does what it's designed to do now technically. Go screwing with stuff then it won't don't anything right. I've always steered away from lighter than oem springs. Except on my Beretta 92fs. HAD to replace the firing pin spring. 

Agreed. I’ve worked on a lot of Beretta 9x pistols. Used to carry a 92G Elite II on duty. Lot of work with Ernest Langdon back at the beginning of LTT. The factory trigger springs were always crap and Wolff made a solid replacement that improved the trigger. The hammer springs were usually swapped out with the D model spring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

Agreed. I’ve worked on a lot of Beretta 9x pistols. Used to carry a 92G Elite II on duty. Lot of work with Ernest Langdon back at the beginning of LTT. The factory trigger springs were always crap and Wolff made a solid replacement that improved the trigger. The hammer springs were usually swapped out with the D model spring. 

You always have something of quality to share, this time a nice diversion into the finer points of the Beretta pistols.

Anytime you want to expand on M1 Garands, Smith and Wesson revolvers or Custom 1911s, along with SIG/ Sauer, HK, and Glock Pistols,  

please  feel free.

Thanks SD!

• Upvote 1