M2 shoots way too high

Mike Kafura

Mike,

The SX would indicate that your gun is now cast Left Hand, your C drop lock plate is current the gun was setup originally with the B drop shim plate.  You could move you drop locking plate to a D.  If you are right handed you will then need to choose the D DX plate. IF your fitting is not correct, it will lead to the causing you to shoot high.  Your explanation about the gun being level is not clear to the extent of the fitting of your gun.  In MOST cases the operator is shooting the gun high because of improper fit.  You COULD have a tube barrel stop ring out of adjustment as well.

image.png.f317755fb18fb797a5ee23413392d2e2.png

Edited by remarkable

Mike,

Your M2 was designed to shoot a 60/40 pattern high.  If you needed to use the SX Drop Shim Plate to "Center Your Patter", your gun clearly is not a good fit for you. When you say "Center The Pattern" what you are saying is the gun fits you better casted Left Handed.  Your benelli is shooting where you are pointing it.  This is why having a gun that fits the shooter is vital and working with a dealer who not only understands shotgun fitting but also the entire Drop Shim Plate and the corresponding drop shims and cast shims that Benelli offers on most models.

I wish I had the gun in front of me so I can clearly understand the cause and effect in your description.  If you think that the barrel stop ring is not installed properly, sent it back to Benelli for warranty work.  I believe with the information provided you have a gun fitting issue, this by your own admittance in your description of using the Left handed drop locking plate, when you are a right handed shooter.

This is not a gun fit issue. Test patterns were fired from a rest by 2 different people with the same results.
I have been shooting competitively for 50 years, and know gun fit.

I have spoken to people that have had similar problems with the new SBE’s, and was looking to see if anyone had a fix from Benelli.

I will contact Benelli.

Mike, I am glad you are reaching out to Benelli, great customer service.  The purpose of the forum is quite often a place where others can learn and grow in knowledge and understanding.  Understanding POA (Point Of Aim) and POI (Point OF Impact) is very important to assist shooters with knowledge and insights that could make them a better shot.

Most modern ribbed semi automatics are designed to shoot a pattern higher than the point of aim.  Benelli tolerance is up to 5" high at 21 yards.  Most guns will be on the lower side of this delta.  This means the point of impact will be up to 5" high the majority of the pattern.

This assumes that the gun fits the owner, a good fit requires a flat rib.  This can be done with the drop shim plate and corresponding shims, cast and drop. Unfortunately most shooters do not take the time to fit their gun properly.  Of the more than 900 Benelli's that I have worked on less than 40 have different Drop Shim Plates and shims that were different than the OEM setup.  This certainly does not mean the other 860 guns do not fit the shooter properly.

Your POI can be lowered by using a larger front sight such and Hi Viz and similar - as well.

There were some SBE 3's in the early 2017 that had POI out of spec.  This condition COULD have been caused by the magazine tube barrel stop ring that improperly set to spec.  The barrel stop ring primary function is to work and assist in alignment of the barrel as it is secured into the receiver.  It is vital that these to points of contact are precisely met at the same time, if not the barrel is forced out of position or it is simply to loose to secure the barrel assembly.  Most Benelli models do not even use the barrel stop ring.  The SBE 3 and some M2's do.  20 Gauge M2's do not use the barrel stop ring.

I randomly sample SBE 3's with a laser sight as well as having access to SBE 3's performance shop patterns that were done by Rob Roberts all of which have a POI higher than the POA.    The good news is that altering your shotgun’s POI can lead to more accurate and consistent shots.