M1014 barrel

Skull and Bones

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jfink said:

I’m looking for a 18.5” m1014 Benelli  barrel for my M4. I need it to have a fixed choke, not threaded. This is for Leo work. Any info or guidance locating one would be greatly appreciated 

Get the sbs. Its a fixed cyl. The fixed m1014 mod is good, but it does not play near as well with LE132 and LE133 loadings as a cyl. Form 1 is running 3 weeks on E file. 

Edited by Unobtanium
  • Upvote 1

Benelli bore IDs are 0.728" nominal for cyl. This is a hair narrow as is. Any choke at all, and it strips the FC wad from the shot charge very early, resulting in large or erratic patterns. This is why mossberg and other larger nominal bore gauges can throw stoopid tight patterns with FC buckshot. Ive shot basketball sized 40+ yard patterns with a 590a1, for example.

• Upvote 1

What screw in choke size would you recommend for flight control buckshot?

45 minutes ago, Unobtanium said:

Benelli bore IDs are 0.728" nominal for cyl. This is a hair narrow as is. Any choke at all, and it strips the FC wad from the shot charge very early, resulting in large or erratic patterns. This is why mossberg and other larger nominal bore gauges can throw stoopid tight patterns with FC buckshot. Ive shot basketball sized 40+ yard patterns with a 590a1, for example.

Edited by Ky11e

@Unobtanium Thanks for this information. I am new to shotguns and bought my M1014 early last month. While adding some upgrades, I have also been looking at which ammo to get. It seems I was looking for the incorrect ammo as I was indeed looking for the LE133. Ended up buying some Black Ace 00 just to have something to shoot and some LEB127LRS slugs.

This being said, which ammo / model would you recommend for the M1014?

4 hours ago, LowBoost said:

@Unobtanium Thanks for this information. I am new to shotguns and bought my M1014 early last month. While adding some upgrades, I have also been looking at which ammo to get. It seems I was looking for the incorrect ammo as I was indeed looking for the LE133. Ended up buying some Black Ace 00 just to have something to shoot and some LEB127LRS slugs.

This being said, which ammo / model would you recommend for the M1014?

For an actual M1014 fixed choke MOD? I'd experiment with buckshot. The LE13200 is good stuff. Truball slugs and Hydrashok slugs (LE127RS and LEF127RS). I prefer low recoil everything, because by 100 yards, LR vs FP slugs have less than 100fps difference between them. So...I just don't bother with the noise and flash and recoil. Here is a demonstration of full power vs reduced recoil buckshot at night from my 14" SBS...

So... LE13200 is ok and no real difference with LE13300 except one is 8 pellets and the other is 9 pellets, correct?

I actually was looking to get all my ammo low recoil, just don’t know which one in particular to get, just read that Federal is the one to get 

15 minutes ago, LowBoost said:

So... LE13200 is ok and no real difference with LE13300 except one is 8 pellets and the other is 9 pellets, correct?

I actually was looking to get all my ammo low recoil, just don’t know which one in particular to get, just read that Federal is the one to get 

Supposedly LE133 was developed to get rid of the "9th pellet flier". I personally have NEVER seen this flier in any of my Benelli guns, but supposedly "it exists". I would buy some of each, and see if LE132 throws wider patterns or fliers for you. If not, then I'd choose it because...extra wound channel.

Edited by Unobtanium

I got a good price on some Nobili Sport Italia 00 buck and #4 buck, both of which are high brass rounds. The 00 is 12 pellets per and the #4 has 27. Personally I can live with 6 in the tube and one on the carrier, so the extra wound channels are more important to me. For home defense, most of the time two or three rounds will end the confrontation anyways, so I don't stress about getting 7 in the tube, which BTW mine is a stock 5rd with a 2rd extension.

Have you shot any of these? If so, what do you think? I know they're hot rounds at 1290 and 1325fps respectively, but my thinking is with 00 pellets weighing more like light .380 target and the #4 more like .25s, higher velocity seems appropriate.