M4 Gunsmithing question....

ZarZ

57 minutes ago, Evolution said:

Just curious....benefit how?

It's something hunters and skeet shooters do to improve the pattern of the shot. The forcing cone has a taper and the longer that taper takes to "size down" the shot charge, the better the pattern of the shot at distance. I wouldn't be interested in doing that to my M4 because it's a combat/riot weapon, not a hunting shotgun as such. I would think if you had enough money to buy a Benelli M4, and you wanted to do some hunting, you might want a gun that's conducive to hunting, that is not with a pistol grip and is better fitted to holding a bead on a bird or rabbit...

...like maybe his Mossbergs? lol

As for you ZarZ: I'm sure you can expect the same pattern improvement you got with your other shotguns. I don't see why not.

1 hour ago, Evolution said:

Just curious....benefit how?

Well there is the patterning of shot as Morton stated. There is also smoother recoil since a longer more tapered forcing cone the shot doesn't slam into it as hard, less recoil and shot deformity. I did find this article about an hour ago that seems to hint that Benellis sound as if its a big improvement.

Shotgun Test: How an Altered Forcing Cone Can Improve Pellet Patterns (outdoorlife.com)

15 minutes ago, Morton said:

It's something hunters and skeet shooters do to improve the pattern of the shot. The forcing cone has a taper and the longer that taper takes to "size down" the shot charge, the better the pattern of the shot at distance. I wouldn't be interested in doing that to my M4 because it's a combat/riot weapon, not a hunting shotgun as such. I would think if you had enough money to buy a Benelli M4, and you wanted to do some hunting, you might want a gun that's conducive to hunting, that is not with a pistol grip and is better fitted to holding a bead on a bird or rabbit...

As for you ZarZ: I'm sure you can expect the same pattern improvement you got with your other shotguns. I don't see why not.

Well here is why I am planning on doing this with my M4, I just bought a SECOND M4, to get the collapsible stock people scalp. The only i bought last month has a barrel with chokes (not so tactical) so as i swap the stocks, the choke barrel is coming off to put on a 14" barrel when I form 1 SBS the first M4, and the second will get a standard stock like the M4 #11703 (pic below) and the choked barrel with lengthened forcing cone. Not pnly that but the M4 is a better shotgun than basically all others.
image.thumb.png.c3a515cad57d10c60a32324343c48a1d.png

7 hours ago, Morton said:

How is the m4 not good for hunting when other guns with the same features like a pistol grip(ar's) are great for hunting? I agree the forcing cone lengthening would be just as beneficial on the m4 as on any other shotgun.

1 hour ago, jimbo45 said:

How is the m4 not good for hunting when other guns with the same features like a pistol grip(ar's) are great for hunting? I agree the forcing cone lengthening would be just as beneficial on the m4 as on any other shotgun.

Didn't say it's not good for hunting, I just think of it as a tactical combat weapon. However with the stock ZarZ just showed us and his explanation of what he's doing, I think he'll have a fine shotgun for hunting.

I guess my comment was biased a little because of my first shotgun my grandfather gave me when I was ten: a sweet double-barreled Savage 410. I think of the nice walnut stocks and the two rounds I had to put down a squirrel or a rabbit. Nine rounds of #6 going up against a little bunny doesn't quite seem fair. lol

Eight rounds of tall 12 pellet 00 buck for use as riot control however is completely fair.

10 hours ago, ZarZ said:

Well there is the patterning of shot as Morton stated. There is also smoother recoil since a longer more tapered forcing cone the shot doesn't slam into it as hard, less recoil and shot deformity. I did find this article about an hour ago that seems to hint that Benellis sound as if its a big improvement.

Shotgun Test: How an Altered Forcing Cone Can Improve Pellet Patterns (outdoorlife.com)

That is where I am confused. I thought that no matter what the forcing cone does at the beginning of the loads travel, where it exits the barrel at the choke end would be the final determination of the loads form.

I guess I'm wrong?

6 hours ago, jimbo45 said:

Some brands have a longer or shorter forcing cone. But more research it looks like Benellis are short and tighter than some others.

• 1 month later...

I have hunted with my HK import SBE since '95. All I can say is for whatever choke I am using, it is always at least 2 chokes "tighter" than any other shotgun I've used. As a result, I rarely use above modified, even for turkeys. I've got quite a few other Benelli's (2 HK SBE's, 1 HK M1, 2 M3T's, 2 M4's, HK Montefeltro 20 gauge, etc) but I haven't shot them enough at in close time frame to know if they also exhibit that. However, every single one of them pattern great although the newer ones have a higher POI than my older ones. That is part of the reason I haven't shot them as much. When I go back and forth from high rib to low rib, it takes me a bit to remember the change.