The RxArms Quick Bolt Release Tab

Morton

I just got mine in today and I am quite satisfied with the quality of the piece. As the manufacturer says it simply tucks in between the forearm and it's retaining band. Although it is made in Canada and it's about $50, I think it is a much more durable solution to the "big buttons" offered by other companies. Not only does it not interfere with anything else, it cannot damage the bolt release mechanism and I can easily get three fingers on it as shown.

From one who was trained by one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, I am very impressed with the ingenuity and military simplicity of this piece: nothing to break or go wrong here.

20210512_202726.jpg

20210512_203220.jpg

20210512_203321.jpg

20210512_205443.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 10:12 AM, aznwhip said:

Overpriced rip off of Dave's Metal Works Speedbar design..... 

http://www.davesmetalworks.com/m4.html

Everybody has his overpriced something. I notice Dave has a 2rd extension tube for $85 and I got one from Botach for $50.

Yet having seen it, it looks too overworked. I don't think it needs that stiffening rib in the middle. I like this plain release tab. It's simple and military looking.

Then again, what is Dave's "speedbar" made of? The RxArms piece is made of 1095 hardened spring steel: You can't just hammer or bend 1095 spring steel around a die and ship it.

I wouldn't call the RxArms piece a ripoff. Not with $350 7rd tubes and $85 extension tubes for the M4 selling like hotcakes. lol

I'm not really concerned with either of these products but was just a bit curious after reading this post.. according to the link posted from DMW's.. he states his are 4140 heat treated spring steel and you say RxArms is made of 1095 hardened spring steel.. after googling 4140 vs 1095 they are pretty much equal in all aspects ... with 4140 just a hair ahead in a few aspects..  

5 hours ago, JTs M4 said:

I'm not really concerned with either of these products but was just a bit curious after reading this post.. according to the link posted from DMW's.. he states his are 4140 heat treated spring steel and you say RxArms is made of 1095 hardened spring steel.. after googling 4140 vs 1095 they are pretty much equal in all aspects ... with 4140 just a hair ahead in a few aspects..  

Thanks for doing the research for us.

11 hours ago, Morton said:

Everybody has his overpriced something. I notice Dave has a 2rd extension tube for $85 and I got one from Botach for $50.

Yet having seen it, it looks too overworked. I don't think it needs that stiffening rib in the middle. I like this plain release tab. It's simple and military looking.

Then again, what is Dave's "speedbar" made of? The RxArms piece is made of 1095 hardened spring steel: You can't just hammer or bend 1095 spring steel around a die and ship it.

I wouldn't call the RxArms piece a ripoff. Not with $350 7rd tubes and $85 extension tubes for the M4 selling like hotcakes. lol

Maybe came off a bit strong in hindsight... Was just feeling ornery I guess lol.

Dave was the first to come up with that design, made in US, quality work, and quality component... At over half off the RxArms variant. The overpriced comment was referring to the product you brought up, not the rest of their lineup.

On 5/12/2021 at 8:08 PM, Morton said:

I just got mine in today and I am quite satisfied with the quality of the piece. As the manufacturer says it simply tucks in between the forearm and it's retaining band. Although it is made in Canada and it's about $50, I think it is a much more durable solution to the "big buttons" offered by other companies. Not only does it not interfere with anything else, it cannot damage the bolt release mechanism and I can easily get three fingers on it as shown.

From one who was trained by one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, I am very impressed with the ingenuity and military simplicity of this piece: nothing to break or go wrong here.

20210512_202726.jpg

20210512_203220.jpg

20210512_203321.jpg

20210512_205443.jpg

Did you have to remove any material from the forend for it to fit?

14 hours ago, Gorlami said:

Did you have to remove any material from the forend for it to fit?

None at all, and I think if you did it would hurt the function of it. You have about 1/2" of leeway up or down so you can place it to suit your taste.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, aznwhip said:

Maybe came off a bit strong in hindsight... Was just feeling ornery I guess lol.

Dave was the first to come up with that design, made in US, quality work, and quality component... At over half off the RxArms variant. The overpriced comment was referring to the product you brought up, not the rest of their lineup.

No problem here. I just posted what I've found to give the guys here a choice, show them how it looks. You came on to tell about an alternative and I'm fine with that. It's what we're here for, right?

I didn't even know about that one Dave's makes. But if I had, I think I would have paid more to get this simpler design. All it needs to do is cover the button and to me this is part of the beauty of this weapon: function over form. It's a shotgun you can take all the way apart (except the recoil spring and the magazine assembly) in the dark in the woods and clean it if need be, and not need any tools to do it: It's in the military spirit of the M1 Garand only better. So to me that plain flat piece of spring steel is just what the doctor ordered. The gun doesn't care if it's "pretty", and that piece Dave makes is too fancy for my M4. To me the beauty of the M4 is in it's functionality, and this gun is made for shooting bad guys, not quail.

I think if I see somebody put scrolling with gold leaf inlay on their M4 I will die laughing.

1 hour ago, Morton said:

No problem here. I just posted what I've found to give the guys here a choice, show them how it looks. You came on to tell about an alternative and I'm fine with that. It's what we're here for, right?

I didn't even know about that one Dave's makes. But if I had, I think I would have paid more to get this simpler design. All it needs to do is cover the button and to me this is part of the beauty of this weapon: function over form. It's a shotgun you can take all the way apart (except the recoil spring and the magazine assembly) in the dark in the woods and clean it if need be, and not need any tools to do it: It's in the military spirit of the M1 Garand only better. So to me that plain flat piece of spring steel is just what the doctor ordered. The gun doesn't care if it's "pretty", and that piece Dave makes is too fancy for my M4. To me the beauty of the M4 is in it's functionality, and this gun is made for shooting bad guys, not quail.

I think if I see somebody put scrolling with gold leaf inlay on their M4 I will die laughing.

IMG_1976_LI.thumb.jpg.e99c9c8c2df199cd32e7400ee57c8bb7.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 8:25 AM, Morton said:

you are right, in that one cannot just bend 1095 hardened spring steel... I've broken several while making fabricating this product, and I continue to break them from time to time if they are not done 100% perfect with the right amount of heat.  I have not worked with 4140 steel in this thin of material.  The reason I chose to go with 1095 spring steel, it has high manganese content to give the steel more resistance to fatigue, and it also has a high elasticity.

Also thanks for kind words on the design, I spent quite a bit of time fine tuning the aesthetics believe it or not.

Edited by RxArms
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RxArms said:

you are right, in that one cannot just bend 1095 hardened spring steel... I've broken several while making fabricating this product, and I continue to break them from time to time if they are not done 100% perfect with the right amount of heat.  I have not worked with 4140 steel in this thin of material.  The reason I chose to go with 1095 spring steel, it has high manganese content to give the steel more resistance to fatigue, and it also has a high elasticity.

Also thanks for kind words on the design, I spent quite a bit of time fine tuning the aesthetics believe it or not.

De nada Rx. As far as I can see there's only one drawback to your piece: it doesn't help with the 922r compliance for American owners.

That is if it counts as a part of the gun. Maybe it's a borderline thing?

7 hours ago, gm2376 said:

it really wouldn't matter if it was 922r anyway, as you are not removing a foreign part and and adding this to replace it.

Notice the phrase, "...it doesn't help with 922r compliance...". I already know it makes no difference because it's not replacing something. Adding a sling, a light, a red dot, none of those things matter when it comes to 922r. However if you are replacing a part that was made in Italy for instance, with one that is made in the US, that helps with 922r inasmuch as you can now replace a part with one made in Italy and not have to worry if the part you're replacing was made in the US or not. You're already one part "in the green" so-to-speak, and have leeway as far as the law is concerned.

It's good you brought that up to clarify my statement. There's a lot of confusion about 922r. I got the Botach 2rd extension tube for mine, which is made in America, so it doesn't matter where the original "boar's tit's" extension was made. And if the thing was made in Italy, it wouldn't matter if you got a 2rd extension that was made outside the US: The gun would be unaltered as far as the required number of listed parts being made in the USA. So it's important to know where the part you're replacing was made ONLY if you're going to replace it with a part you know is made outside the US.

I love it when a thread digresses to enlighten things.