Benelli M4 Red Dot Question

Agent86

I enjoy shooting skeet with my shotgun and I've gotten decent at it, hitting most of the time (I know very unscientific).  I typically will line up the sights and then let the bird fly and look at the bird and follow it and shoot when it is in the sights. I love the ghost ring sights and easily hit steel at 100 yards with slugs.  

Any opinions if it is worth getting a red dot that co-witnesses and if anyone has shot skeet with a red dot?  I know I am asking a stupid question and not using the right tool for skeet, but it's what I got and it is fun!

I am a new M4 owner myself and am looking into getting the scalarworks aimpoint mount (works for all Benelli shotguns). It looks like it puts the sights in the bottom 1/3. I have always liked that setup on ARs and never found the iron sights disruptive. I tried mounting the optic with factory low mount on the receiver rail and think it sits too high for a good cheek weld. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

As to the clays, it depends on the shooter.  I talked to a guy (didn't see him shoot) that said a red dot improved him. But my experience, having the red dot was super distracting. I took my m4 to help my son practice timing in trap. Couldn't hit shit, until i started ignoring the dot. M4 just way too busy with ghost rings and dot for that type of shooting

Edited by Redwingsfansfc
  • Like 1

I shoot my M4 with a red dot.  At first, I used the Scalar rail with a Triji. for the co-witness.  What a confusing mess. 

Next, I removed the front and rear iron sights. This was better, I just didn't like the Triji.

Finally, I removed the Scalar to go back to the factory rail and a Vortex Venom. I discovered that the rail could be mounted backwards to bring the red dot to wear the factory sight used to sit. I just cut off some over hang. 

This is my 3-gun competition gun.

20190627_124102 (1).jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input.  After some consideration, I'm just going to stick with the ghost ring sites.  I can shoot skeet no problem with the ghost ring sights so I'm just going to follow the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  

I know I'm late, but just wanted to give my input since I just tried my red dot with skeet shooting. It did not make me better, but it did not make me worse. If I was forced to pick, I would use just the ghost ring sights if I'm ONLY shooting skeet. However, if a shotgun is for skeet AND home defense, I'll take the red dot.

Ps. Also should note that my "red dot" is actually trijicon's 12 moa green triangle reticle. So maybe my experience wouldn't be the same if it was actually a small red dot.

Edited by FFMichael
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 8:39 AM, NoTycoon said:

I shoot my M4 with a red dot.  At first, I used the Scalar rail with a Triji. for the co-witness.  What a confusing mess. 

Next, I removed the front and rear iron sights. This was better, I just didn't like the Triji.

Finally, I removed the Scalar to go back to the factory rail and a Vortex Venom. I discovered that the rail could be mounted backwards to bring the red dot to wear the factory sight used to sit. I just cut off some over hang. 

This is my 3-gun competition gun.

20190627_124102 (1).jpg

I really dig this setup as it’s KISS. What kind of stock are you using? Is it the Mesa with cheek riser? It seems that would work best with this. 

2 hours ago, Gorlami said:
2 hours ago, Gorlami said:

I really dig this setup as it’s KISS. What kind of stock are you using? Is it the Mesa with cheek riser? It seems that would work best with this. 

Correct, a Mesa with a cheek riser.