Red dot options with pic rail

streetlegal

Less than a year into the M4 world, so I apologize for the newbie questions.  I've scoured the list on the various comments regarding red dots and do like what I see/hear about the Trijicon RMR + Scalarworks solution.  But, I have the Mesa Tactical SureShell carrier with the integrated pic rail and I really don't want to ditch it.  I have the Trimicon Type 2 on a couple of handguns, but I'd like to try the SRO.  What kind of sight picture issues (and/or other issues) will I run into using one of these red dot options given my configuration?

Thanks much in advance.

Welcome!  Wealth of info here, enjoy cruising the threads!

I can't speak for the SRO completely but with the Mesa with pic rail and just about any type of low mount on the SRO, I bet your iron sights will not be very useable.  I bet they will just be a hair too short (mount and SRO too tall) to be ale to see through them.  

I tried a Holosun Airmpoint T-1 clone on an ADM QD low mount on my factory pic rail and found it worked okay, but I lost my iron sights and it just felt like the optic sat too tall.  I ended up with the Holosun in a Scalarworks mount and am very pleased with it.  Irons are useable, optic sits low enough that it does not feel like it is gonna snag everything.

Something to consider and think about is what type of stock you are running too.  If you are using a collapsible stock, your site picture will be different than if you are running a fixed stock.

Thanks @bigdog02 for the reply and the warm welcome. Yeah, I'm running the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock (here in California).  I think the pic rail is pretty much a lost cause from what I'm reading and from chatting with the (very helpful) folks at Scalarworks (biased, I'm sure, but I feel honest nonetheless).  So, I'm gonna retire the shell carrier with pic rail and get the Scalarwork + SRO combo.  I'm sure it will be a worthwhile trade-off -- and, since I'm using a fixed stock, I can get a 6-shot carrier and mount to the stock (also from Mesa).

Excellent choice, you will be pleased.  Scalarworks is good people and their gear is good stuff.  Install is pretty simple and it locks in pretty well.  You should not have any optic view problems with that stock and the Scalarworks.
The M4 is an expensive gun to experiment on, I changed several items on mine as I shot it more and tried the gun in different ways/situations.  Ever evolving.

• 2 months later...
On 5/18/2021 at 2:46 PM, bigdog02 said:

Welcome!  Wealth of info here, enjoy cruising the threads!

I can't speak for the SRO completely but with the Mesa with pic rail and just about any type of low mount on the SRO, I bet your iron sights will not be very useable.  I bet they will just be a hair too short (mount and SRO too tall) to be ale to see through them.  

I tried a Holosun Airmpoint T-1 clone on an ADM QD low mount on my factory pic rail and found it worked okay, but I lost my iron sights and it just felt like the optic sat too tall.  I ended up with the Holosun in a Scalarworks mount and am very pleased with it.  Irons are useable, optic sits low enough that it does not feel like it is gonna snag everything.

Something to consider and think about is what type of stock you are running too.  If you are using a collapsible stock, your site picture will be different than if you are running a fixed stock.

@bigdog02Are you using the OE stock or a Mesa Tactical stock with the riser? I'm looking at the Scalarworks mount and an Aimpoint Micro and I'm trying to figure out if I need the riser or the regular stock will work with the optic.

Edited by Exiledviking