New to choke tubes

nemudd

Since the OEM full choke is not recommended for steel shot what is  good alternative? Not so new to shotgunning sports, but new to the world of choke tubes. Just purchased the supernova to replace an old Remington. I will be using it for upland bird hunting mostly, but may try some turkey in the fall, all on public land which requires non toxic shot. I'm not asking what is the best as each shooter has their own preference. Just want options that will give the best performance for the condition.

Welcome to the site!

Chokes tubes can be confusing sometimes depending on what you plan on shooting.  You can buy aftermarket turkey chokes that are choked full but are rated for steel shot.  So they might work fine, but if you are using steel shot - it might actually HURT your pattern.  As you try to compress steel, it will cause fliers or could hurt your barrel/choke because the steel does not conform to the choke like lead will.
The general rule is to shoot steel shot in a choke 1 full level below what you would shoot with lead and you should get roughly the same tightness of pattern.  So for turkey lets say, you would want a full choke or extra full with lead but with steel you will have just about the same tightness of pattern with steel in a Mod choke.  

I'm pretty new to them also. Check out Trulock's website. He has good info that makes the concept and numbers make easy sense to knuckle-draggers like us. I have been studying the different types and manufacturers and have a pretty good understanding now. I'm going to pick up a I/C, M and a F to augment the M that's in the M4 from the factory. I snagged a Briley D today for 1/2 price. Then it's just a matter of known distance and patterning practice with different loads to see how everything works together. It's actually a pretty cool new skill to learn.

Didn't your old Remington have chokes? Or, was it just a choked barrel and not Poly-Choke type or screw-ins?

Just shoot the tightest factory choke that is safe for steel (or shoot bismuth or other lead alternatives). Thousands of ducks and geese that I have taken in my lifetime can't tell the difference between factory or aftermarket chokes. Just do NOT shoot steel through a choke that is marked to not use steel shot. Just. Don't. You can, and most likely, will at the very least bulge your barrel. It is possible to blow up the barrel.

Like those above have mentioned, pattern your gun with the desired loads. You might be surprised and find that often the tightest restriction chokes occasionally don't have the tighter pattern. Turkey, while using lead, is the only bird I use above a modified choke for.