Sport II cycling problems?

coltcco45

A few months ago I purchased a sport II to be used for sporting clays.I have had numerous cycling issues with this gun.The first problem is this the gun snaps on a live round and dosen't fire,upon inspection of the round I find the primer is hardley dented at all. I inspected some of my spent hulls and discoverd that the firing pin is not really punching the primers that hard.The next problem is that the gun fires the shell in the chamber then the shell in the magazine is released onto the loading gate the spent shell is ejected but the bolt hangs on top of the shell in the loading gate causing it to jam. I have been shooting 2 3/4 inch 3 drams powder 7 1/2 shot. is this shell not powerful enough to make this gun cycle? I have run about 500 rnds. through it.

You did not give the condition and age of your Sport II. Sounds as if the gun has had many rounds fired thru it! First problem: Hammer spring is worn beyond tolerance. I have replaced a few of these in SBE's, M1's, and Montefeltro's. Fact is I will replace a new gun purchase after one year with a Wolff hammer Spring. You will see noticable deeper dimples on all of your primers. Second problem: This is a tougher one without observing it. With the condition of your hammer spring it may be a worn recoil spring. Have you ever cleaned the recoil spring assembly? This is the biggest problem with Benelli's! Why do you think the new Benelli's recoil spring are stainless steel. I'm not knocking Benelli here, it's the best autoloading shotgun period. All of the guns a maintain for clients, (over 25) all get Wolff 25% increase recoil springs, new hammer springs, and new magazine springs. Be carefull with a Wolff 25% increase spring shooting the loads you referenced. That spring is to stiff. If this is not a hunting gun and all your shooting is done in warm weather, Wolff has a 25% DECREASE spring as well. My experience has been very poor with factory recoil springs. This should go along way in solving your problems. If you may need additional help please repost, I'll be watching.

I bought 2 new SBE ll's and neither of them would cycle properly or load the 2nd shell. They also had about a 1/16" of creep in the trigger and 2 totally different trigger pulls. I bought these guns for competition and if I couldn't rely on dependability they were going to have to go. Well I found a gunsmith and he has them working perfect. When we pay the price they get for a Benelli wouldn't you thick they would make sure they work before sending them out the door? Bottom line, if you want the gunsmith's name etc. contact me. Good luck. -- GB

Another of the many things you can do is make sure you aren't trying to shoot anything like Win Super speed or Universal or the Rem gun club ammo. Most of it is cheap and wont cycle reliably in any autoloader. Use a good AA load or Super hadicap load. Seen Benellis with 5000+ rounds through them without weakening any springs. Just clean it and oil it properly, bolt, bolt rails and recoil assy. Without oil these guns wont cycle even the heavy loads. Remember the recoil spring isnt so much to aid in recoil as it is to push the bolt foreward to feed the next round into the chamber.