Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

M4 3 Position Recoil Tube Installation Question

StupidManThing

I got the M1014 a few weeks ago after wanting one for about 15 years, got the magazine tube, and today I got my 3 position recoil tube for the skeleton stock to collapse. My question is this; how do you ensure that your recoil tube will be properly aligned when installing on the gun? I was thinking that I could line it up, try putting the stock on to check that it's centered, and make some kind of mark so I can return to that point after installing red threadlocker and putting the nut on. What advice can you offer? 

The best method I’ve found is to use the cheek rest of the collapsible stock to index with. Fully collapsed, you index it with the center of the rear sight.

The collapsible stocks have a little bit of wiggle in their lockup, so you have to find where the stock wants to settle so you don’t have a degree or two out of alignment. 

The tough part is keeping it there while you finish tightening the jam nut. The best solution I’ve found for that is to use a 19mm wrench on the receiver extension to hold the extension in place while you tighten the 27mm jam nut. 

Edited by StrangerDanger

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

The best method I’ve found is to use the cheek rest of the collapsible stock to index with. Fully collapsed, you index it with the center of the rear sight.

The collapsible stocks have a little bit of wiggle in their lockup, so you have to find where the stock wants to settle so you don’t have a degree or two out of alignment. 

The tough part is keeping it there while you finish tightening the jam nut. The best solution I’ve found for that is to use a 19mm wrench on the receiver extension to hold the extension in place while you tighten the 27mm jam nut. 

I've had to work with similar challenges tightening castle nuts on my AR builds so it sounds like the vise and two wrenches will help. The takedown pin on the receiver being where it is makes it hard to find a good place to clamp it in the vise so far but maybe I'll make some kind of jig for it; leather padded wooden jaws with a hole drilled out for the head of that pin to go into. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Upvote 1

Yep, kind of like when you're trying to install the castle nut on the receiver extension of an AR15 and trying not to pinch the buffer detent.

What I usually do is I flip the receiver upside down and clamp on the flat area beneath the rear sight. This is the thickest, strongest portion of the receiver.  You want it to be angled to offer up the receiver extension for you to easy put a wrench on the jam nut. You won't need any crazy retard strength to get the nut off. Mostly you're going to let the heat break down the thread locker. I simply lean on the 27mm wrench, and it'll back off when its good and ready. If not, keep heating and try again in 20 more seconds.