benelli nova barrles

chip

I am mostly a waterfowl hunter and I am going to go buy a Nova pump and im giong to get a 24" barrel becasue I feel its easier to swing and I can use it for a turkey gun! Will this effect my waterfowl hunting using a short barrel or will it work just fine? do you think it is a good decision to get the 24"?

The size of a barrel does not matter as far as accuracy, the only reason they make them longer is because its a little easier to aim.

24" is probably perfect for you if you want to do waterfowl and turkey. it's not too short for waterfowl and its not too long for turkey.

I recomend your original decision of getting a 24" barrel: It's perfect for what you want to do.

"The size of a barrel does not matter as far as accuracy, the only reason they make them longer is because its a little easier to aim.

24" is probably perfect for you if you want to do waterfowl and turkey. it's not too short for waterfowl and its not too long for turkey.

I recomend your original decision of getting a 24" barrel: It's perfect for what you want to do"

Not to get too involved in this, but The_Gun_Guy, I think tucker301 was commenting on the inaccuracy in your choice of wording/explanation.

1) Barrel length does affect accuracy. When it comes down to the difference between 24", 26", and 28", the difference isn't all that significant. But there is still a difference. Your statement could be taken to say that a 10" barrel will give you the same pattern/accuracy. I think we can all reason that the last statement is not true; therefore the general statement is not accurate.

2) Longer doesn't really mean "easier to aim." It affects the swing of the gun and the way it balances. Technically, aiming the gun (lining up the two beads or the bead and the rib as the case may be) is just as easy with a 24" barrel or a 28" barrel.

In fairness, you did say that you recommend the 24" barrel. For whatever reason that is, that's fine...you have your reasons and opinion. I like how you said you didn't feel it was too short for waterfowl or too long for turkey.

My personal opinion is that a longer barrel would suit him better. If he's truly more of a waterfowl hunter than a turkey hunter, he'd see the benefits of a longer barrel. Then again, he'll get the most benefit trying different barrel lengths to see what fits him the best and what he shoots the best with.

Tucker's little cartoon, while effective in showing his disagreement with your statement, did little to explain his reasoning and teach the un-informed.

Happy hunting/shooting,

-Steve

[ 04-13-2005, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: heavy4x4 ]

Heavy,

Pretty much dead on. Thanks for pitching in.

One other reason was that this had already been discussed at considerable length in the OP's other thread (he posted the same Q twice).

GunGuy,

Nothing personal, but I do disagree wholeheartedly with your comments regarding barrel length.

My points are discussed in the other thread and there's a link to a very good article on the subject as well.

G'day.