LH vs. RH

TheBuckeye

I recently got a LH SBE. The bolt release and cartridge drop lever are both on the right side of the receiver. Then I looked at a picture of a RH SBE and noticed the release and lever is on the right side of these also. Does this mean that the LH and RH models use the same trigger group and receiver? Are the bolt and barrel the only different parts between a LH and RH model? Could I theoretically change my LH to a RH by changing the bolt and barrel? (Just curiosity -- can't imagine actually doing it.)

Ejection port? That is on the left as well; hence you could probably slide a right-hand bolt in the left-hand model, but wouldn't be able to insert the bolt puller and might have a few problems with spent shell ejection. However, if you change the barrel, the stock, then the bolt, then yes, in theory you could change the left-hand to a right-hand. Just curious, do the shims in the SBE allow adjustment for left-hand cast?

The ejection port is not part of the receiver; it is part of the barrel. So putting on a RH barrel gives a RH ejection port. Am I crazy? It seems like it would work! It might be handy for a guy who has a LH but wants to shoot a rifled slug barrel, which (I think) are not available in LH.

It might also explain why Benelli decided to make a LH model. If they could use the same receiver and most of the same parts, and only needed to make LH barrels and bolt, it would not be such a big investment.

I don't know about the shims. I bought mine used, and the shims weren't included.

Buckeye - Yes, by changing a very minimal amount of parts, an SBE can be either RH or LH. The parts listing shows just a few parts that are different besides the barrel (which as you pointed out forms it's own ejection port depending on the barrel extensions position).

The LH SBE's are easier (parts count wise) for them to make compared with the LH M1 and M2 which must have a dedicated LH receiver due to the ejection port.

And yes DuckGooseEtc., the ComforTech stocks do in fact have cast adjustment available through the shims for both RH and LH shooters.