M1014 AWB upgrades: Collapsible Stock

M4SUPER90FAN

BenelliGirl,

Thank you very much for confirming the availability of the additional collapsible stock for the M4. I have ordered an M4, the collapsible stock, and the 2-rd mag extension.

I realize that I am essentially asking for a legal opinion, but is there any additional info you can provide which specifically addresses the legal issues that were raised? Here is a link to a thread (which also has further informative links to other threads) which seems to draw the conclusion that mere installation of such a stock onto an M4 would be in violation of 18 USC 922®.

AR15 link to M4 info

If the conclusions at Benelli are that installation of these stocks by end users is legal, are such conclusions based on an interpretation of 922® and 925(d)(3), or are they based on a specific determination made by ATF with respect to "sporting purposes"?

Many thanks again for any info you may have.

I just found out from Benelli that I can not retro fit my M1014 Limited Edition with a collapsible stock. Supposedly the current steel tube can not be removed from the receiver and replaced with one that has the notches. I am sure Benelli has the gunsmithing capabilities to make this modification but seem unwilling to do so. I am now stuck with a $1400 shotgun that can never have a collapsible stock. I will need to purchase another rifle at $1400 just so I can have a collapsible stock. I just can't believe Benelli would do this to their customers especially those buying the limited edition models. This shotgun was meant to have a collapsible stock from the start and now that the AWB is gone Benelli should make it possible for their customers.

Yeah, that is really strange. And the M1014 was supposedly the "military" version (or least the name), so you would think that this version of that shotgun would be capable of a retrofit for the collapsible stock. Why in Heaven's name would the M1014 be any different than the M4 anyway??? What was ever the point in their unusual differences in manufacturing and assembly? I understand that the M1014 has the little flag on it, but come on... Something just dosen't seem right here.

I am starting a Benelli boycott through all the local shooting clubs in Missouri and I suggest other M1014 owners do the same. This is disgraceful behavior on the part of Benelli especially when it comes to such an expensive rifle. They could have come up with a solution to make this conversion possible. At the very least they should offer to exchange the limited edition with a M4 model with a collapsible stock.

I am starting a Benelli boycott through the local shooting clubs in Missouri and I suggest other M1014 owners do the same. This is disgraceful behavior on the part of Benelli especially when it comes to such an expensive rifle. They could have come up with a solution to make this conversion possible. At the very least they should offer to exchange the limited edition for a M4 model with a collapsible stock.

I am starting a Benelli boycott through the local shooting clubs in Missouri and I suggest other M1014 owners do the same. This is disgraceful behavior on the part of Benelli especially when it comes to such an expensive rifle. They could have come up with a solution to make this conversion possible. At the very least they should offer to exchange the limited edition for a M4 model with a collapsible stock.

It seems like Benelli is deliberately not wanting to provide the parts necessary to make the stock on the M1014 collapsible and I am wondering if it has to do with them having a US military contract. Colt was known for doing or not doing things with their rifles to stay politically correct because of their large government contracts they held. Now Colt is paying dearly for their behavior by having consumers boycott their products and switch to Bushmaster and Armalite. Also they won’t be getting the new government contract for the replacement of the M16. In fact they are now suing both Heckler & Koch and Bushmaster for patent infringements. If Benelli doesn’t want to end up like Colt they better heed the complaints of their customers and remedy the problem.