00 Buckshot : Hornady Critical Defense Buckshot 8 pellets w/Versatite or Federal Vital-Shok High Density Lead Free

SnidelyWhiplash

My Buckshot of choice for the past several years has been the Hornady Critical Defense 8 Pellet Buckshot with the Versatite wad (Stock #86240) due to its 1600 fps velocity and the 8 pellet variety which lowers the chances of a flier. I don’t want the potential flier but want the velocity for good penetration.

The Federal ammunition site has recently shown availability for Vital-Shock 00 Buckshot High Density Lead Free (Stock #PHD15900). This is a 9 pellet buckshot using the FliteControl wad and stated velocity of 1600 fps that Federal claims is “high density tungsten alloy pellet construction”. I can’t find any information other than Federal marketing releases for this ammunition. I’m wondering if the tungsten alloy would limit pellet deformation that might cause the 9th pellet flier?

Anyone have experience with the Federal ammunition or can suggest a better alternative?

• Upvote 1

Ive never liked or had good results from the Hornady loading, and fwiw, it clocks around 1450fps from an 18.5 while full power federal manages 1320-1380 typically,  as I recall, with some nipping the 1400 barrier. I prefer LE132 00. Here it is compared to your federal tungsten stuff.

16265318533638609581633036018530.jpg

Unobtanium, thank you for taking the time to post that information!

Interesting that you’ve found better patterning with the Federal High Density loads vs the Hornady Critical Defense. I guess I really should give it a try myself but it’s darn expensive.

Are you using the standard modified choke? I noticed a big difference with Federal and Hornady buckshot (markedly tighter patterns) after swapping to a cylinder choke in my M4.

I’ve watched your YouTube videos too with M4 Entry / Federal 13200 examples. Great stuff. The M4 Entry is cylinder choke, correct?

I’ve had a Remington 870 loaded with Federal 13300 (8 pellet variety of your Federal 13200) for years. I’d love a Federal 00 buckshot full power loading with the FliteControl wad and 8 pellet variety but the Hornady Critical Defense is the closest I’ve been able to find. I guess I’m showing my age with my preference for the 8 pellet loads.

Have you experienced any reliability or penetration issues with the Federal 13200 loads? My home defense threats include bears and cougars so decent penetration is a significant concern for me.

26 minutes ago, Unobtanium said:

For brown bear, brenneke is the way. 00 should be fine on black bear. 14"=Cyl as noted. 

Agreed, Brenneke’ s are my go-to slugs for that reason.

This guy found fliers to be an issue with the Federal tungsten / lead free buckshot:

I guess I’m right back to where I started. ?

• 1 year later...
On 7/17/2021 at 10:06 AM, Unobtanium said:

For brown bear, brenneke is the way. 00 should be fine on black bear. 14"=Cyl as noted. 

On 7/16/2021 at 1:38 PM, SnidelyWhiplash said:

My Buckshot of choice for the past several years has been the Hornady Critical Defense 8 Pellet Buckshot with the Versatite wad (Stock #86240) due to its 1600 fps velocity and the 8 pellet variety which lowers the chances of a flier. I don’t want the potential flier but want the velocity for good penetration.

The Federal ammunition site has recently shown availability for Vital-Shock 00 Buckshot High Density Lead Free (Stock #PHD15900). This is a 9 pellet buckshot using the FliteControl wad and stated velocity of 1600 fps that Federal claims is “high density tungsten alloy pellet construction”. I can’t find any information other than Federal marketing releases for this ammunition. I’m wondering if the tungsten alloy would limit pellet deformation that might cause the 9th pellet flier?

Anyone have experience with the Federal ammunition or can suggest a better alternative?

On 7/17/2021 at 10:06 AM, Unobtanium said:

Have you tried the Lightfield Slugs i used their 3.5' Sabot Slug best i ever use its a 600gr slug 1890fps 4,759ft.lbs of energy on impact flies very straight definetly worth using drop any game with it no problem 

On 7/16/2021 at 1:38 PM, SnidelyWhiplash said:

I have tried the federal high density 00BUCKSHOT I loved it hard hitting deep penetration I noticed with the tungsten Alloy 2 of the pellets had broke no deformation went straight through a 16" block of ballistics gel great stuff to use think it is little over powered for home defense but up to you 

• 2 weeks later...

Just tacking on this old thread rather than starting a new one because in truth, it's not worthy of it's own. lol

I bought a bunch of Federal PowerShock buck, thinking it would do better than other things I have on hand, and my M4 at least HATES it.  Doesn't matter what choke I use. (I haven't tried it in any of my Crio choked guns yet)

EVERYTHING else I have on hand shoots tighter, regular green and yellow box Remington, a couple different types of Winchester, some Crital Defense, Fiocchi, even the cheap Hornady "American Gunner" junk makes it look bad.  I'm shocked at how bad it patterns.

FEF12700_1.jpg

Edited by cas