Air Rifle Recommendations?

RPC

I live in a residential neighborhood of moderate density but occasionally have a need for a vermin solution. 

Anyone able to recommend an air rifle of high quality & dependable accuracy, while also quiet?

Edited by RPC

3 hours ago, RPC said:

I live in a residential neighborhood of moderate density but occasionally have a need for a vermin solution. 

Anyone able to recommend an air rifle of high quality & dependable accuracy, while also quiet?

Whatever you get, you want it to be very accurate and guaranteed deadly. That means you need a minimum 1000 FPS .177 cal. Anything less than 1000 FPS and it's not guaranteed to kill anything tougher than a bird. And really a waste of money IMO.

Trouble is, they are loud. And you need to be careful of over penetration and be mindful to have a good backstop in case you miss. But the good news is that many of them can be had with a built into the barrel silencer, which are supposed to be very good at suppressing the sound. I have no experience with one of those though.

A break open, single shot, spring piston air rifle. Iv'e had a Ruger brand one, (made in China LOL) for about 10 years and it's been extremely accurate with a 50 dollar scope on it at the ranges Iv'e used it at, (max. 60 yds or so) and a reliable killer on very tough rodent-type varmints..if you opt for one of these type expect to pay about $130-$150 up to about $200+ for one with a suppressor. 

This is the one Iv'e had for ten years but I put a better scope on it. It is pretty loud. Very sharp CRACK! And these spring piston Hi-Vel types do recoil some.

https://www.airgundepot.com/ruger-blackhawk-air-rifle.html

Edited by Evolution
  • Upvote 1

Been down that rabbit hole.  There are some nice reasonably priced break barrels out there.

Most .177 are fast and loud.  Settled for a Crossman(reproduction) CO2 in .22 that I made a lot of modifications to 

boost the power but try stay subsonic.  Still kinda loud.  Just not like a .22LR.

.22 and .25 cal have quite the punch.  

Sometimes on small targets the .177 passes thru and they can go cartwheeling and bouncing off into neighbors yard. LOL

Rangeing your setup is very important.  I setup some targets at different positions in the yard to know my drop.  This allows for headshots.

My favorite break barrel is an RWS 34 that will shoot one hole at 30yds.

Then there's the PCP world.  These are the pre-charged pneumatics.  The glorified co2.  Fill off of a scuba tank, and can get multiple 

high velocity shots with little loss.  

But, one of the name brand break barrels at big box stores will do the job.  Make sure if you scope that it is an air gun scope.  They have a reverse recoil

that will damage a regular scope.

• Upvote 1

I've had a very good experience with Benjamin Marauder pre-charged pneumatic in .22cal with Vortex scope for 3 years now.  Amazing how quiet and accurate it is. 10rnd rotary mag. Very effective for squirrel control out to 50yds in my back yard. The Benjamin hand pump (like a bicycle pump) requires some effort but serves me well. 

Sold my RWS 45 & Beeman break barrel spring air guns and not looking back.

https://www.amazon.com/Benjamin-Marauder-Synthetic-22-Caliber-Pellet/dp/B00AU6EICA/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoue46ZaB8gIV8Ql9Ch03swNmEAAYAiAAEgIUafD_BwE&hvadid=409932612870&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9032443&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17370986227004947859&hvtargid=kwd-366283456686&hydadcr=9653_11535436&keywords=pcp+marauder&qid=1627317705&sr=8-2

• Upvote 1

When I was a kid, I had this Chinese one pump .177 caliber rifle. That thing fucks. I think it was only like 600 FPS, but that was pretty good back in the 90’s. It was so accurate with iron sights that I would cut those rubber super balls in half and lay them on the ground out at 50-70 yards, and chase them away out of sight. Same with 12 gauge hulls. 

It was a sad day when that thing broke and couldn’t be repaired. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/25/2021 at 8:23 PM, RPC said:

Just depends on your budget I guess. Had a couple friends years ago that had north of 4K in their air rifles. And they were deadly accurate at distance. They would shoot at match sticks further out than I could see. My 2cents.......................