Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone used the Battle Steel top rail on their M4? Questions...

jtb33

I'm referring to this one:  https://botach.com/battle-steel-benelli-m4-top-rail-w-integrated-aimpoint-holosun-micro-sight-base/

I purchased one because it was advertised as being able to co-witness on the M4 with a Holosun or Aimpoint micro.   It arrived today and I tested it out with a Holosun 403 and it's not a co-witness, not a lower 1/3 co-witness - it's not even a lower 1/50 co-witness.

It's a nice rail, but I don't know if it's just THIS Holosun that doesn't co-witness on it, or if they didn't advertise it correctly - it's not like you can install this rail incorrectly.

I know it's made in China.  I know that Holosun is made in China.  I know a lot of people don't like Botach for this reason or that reason.  I'm not looking for the sanctimonious tripe regarding me purchasing Chinese items; we have ALL purchased and owned Chinese stuff, whether it's the Norinco AK or SKS, or the box of crayons and coloring book purchased from Wal-Mart.

Also, I do know ScalarWorks has a couple Benelli M4 mounts that are more than twice the cost, but not this same design.  I bought this one because it was advertised to work with Holosun's, which I have - and like the design of this one with the half-rail.  The cost was attractive as well and I don't mind ordering from Botach.

That said, moving on to the actual question and issue I asked about; I'm guessing that this will only work with the Holosun red dots that don't use the battery tray under the optic since that raises the height a bit...  and even in the best situation, with the most low profile mount and low profile optic, it's still lower than a lower 1/3 cowitness based on the pics on Scalarworks site of the view in those instances.

So perhaps the real answer is that a functional cowitness on a Benelli M4 hasn't been designed yet, and maybe there's a reason for that.  I guess most just put it on the factory rail and don't worry about cowitness.  I may just have to do that.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jtb33 said:

I know it's made in China.  I know that Holosun is made in China.  I know a lot of people don't like Botach for this reason or that reason.  I'm not looking for the sanctimonious tripe regarding me purchasing Chinese items; we have ALL purchased and owned Chinese stuff, whether it's the Norinco AK or SKS, or the box of crayons and coloring book purchased from Wal-Mart.

Also, I do know ScalarWorks has a couple Benelli M4 mounts that are more than twice the cost, but not this same design.  I bought this one because it was advertised to work with Holosun's, which I have - and like the design of this one with the half-rail.  The cost was attractive as well and I don't mind ordering from Botach.

That said, moving on to the actual question and issue I asked about; I'm guessing that this will only work with the Holosun red dots that don't use the battery tray under the optic since that raises the height a bit...  and even in the best situation, with the most low profile mount and low profile optic, it's still lower than a lower 1/3 cowitness based on the pics on Scalarworks site of the view in those instances.

So perhaps the real answer is that a functional cowitness on a Benelli M4 hasn't been designed yet, and maybe there's a reason for that.  I guess most just put it on the factory rail and don't worry about cowitness.  I may just have to do that.  

Footprint of the Holosun is the same as an RMR

Not knocking you, but I learned years ago, quality is not cheap. Buy once cry once. Cheap components and optics are rarely worth the hassle. A 12ga is brutal on optics.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...