Tips on DIY stippling?

ArthurMorgan

Scored a like new OEM set of M4 handguards on GB for $31.57 shipped. 

Instead of sending them off for stippling I'm gonna try myself. I'm going to practice on some PMags then an old take-off 870 forend.

I've seen people recommend woodburners over soldering irons, which would you folks recommend, and what tips do you have? I know it's pretty much a straight ahead process but anything to help the process go smoothly is welcomed. 

Thanks

I applaud you for wanting to try.  It's something I've always wanted to experiment with.  I have no experience but if I was going to do it I'd look here.

https://store.otdefense.com/collections/stippling-products?page=1

The tools will probably cost as much as having someone do it for you.  However, you'll have the benefit of owning the proper equipment to do it time and time again the right way.

Edited by Milspec

8 minutes ago, Milspec said:

I applaud you for wanting to try.  It's something I've always wanted to experiment with.  I have no experience but if I was going to do it I'd look here.

https://store.otdefense.com/collections/stippling-products?page=1

The tools will probably cost as much as having someone do it for you.  However, you'll have the benefit of owning the proper equipment to do it time and time again the right way.

Damnit. Thanks for sending me down yet another rabbit hole ?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Milspec said:

That's pretty darn good!  How easy was it for you to control the depth/pressure?  Fumes/smell?

A lot easier than I thought for controlling depth. I basically just did a bunch of light tapping at a slight angle. Fumes weren't bad at all, but I had a fan going to blow it all away from. Granted I was in a 60x120' warehouse ?