Breaking In New M4

PapaPaws

Any pointers on breaking in my new M4? I Plan on running 00 Buck & 1oz Slugs. 2-3/4" only no 3". Do I need to remove the factory choke before firing slugs? I changed out the magazine tube, spring and follower from Freedom Fighter Tactical parts. In order to be compliant with ATF 18 U.S.C $ 922(r) i need to replace 2 or 3 more USA made parts i.e. Forearm, Trigger and  or Trigger guard, etc. what are anyone's thoughts on being compliant with 922(r) and breaking in a new firearm???

I believe you only need 1 more US made part.  When you increase capacity beyond 5 rounds you need to add 3 US parts.

1.) FFT Mag Tube - you have

2.) FFT Follower - you have

3.) ?  Your choice (plenty of options available but not always in stock)

Edited by Milspec

Thank You!!! I think the A & S Enhanced Trigger Guard makes perfect sense especially for loading 3" Shells. I'll top it off with Impact Weapon Components Multi Light mount and finally add the Limbsaver Buttpad and i think we are on our way to enhancing probably the nicest tactical shotgun being produced today. I would like your input on whether or not to remove the choke  prior to running about 100 - 200 rounds of rifled slugs (2-3/4") on it's maiden voyage!!! Thank you, Jon

Double check your manual.  It should have come with a modified choke from the factory.  I believe the manual states to use nothing tighter than improved cylinder when shooting slugs. 

Many others have reported no issues using the modified.  For my purposes I installed the improved cylinder so I don't have to worry about changing chokes.

Edited by Milspec

I spent some time researching this and found that most recommend using an improved cylinder or less (cylinder) for slugs. Many mentioned that while a light modified choke can be used, it significantly shifted the point of impact at 50 yards or more. The modified choke that's installed from the factory is NOT recommended for use with slugs.