Titanium/Steel Locking Charging Handle Cerekote Black

RxArms

Im torn on this. Its a pita to remove, but also that was my complaint with every CH except OEM, including Kip's. They came out too easily. I do note some deformation of the edges of the detent recess after just a few install and removals, though. Likely self limiting. I remain conflicted as to whether I like it or not vs oem.

On 9/8/2021 at 3:47 AM, Unobtanium said:

Im torn on this. Its a pita to remove, but also that was my complaint with every CH except OEM, including Kip's. They came out too easily. I do note some deformation of the edges of the detent recess after just a few install and removals, though. Likely self limiting. I remain conflicted as to whether I like it or not vs oem.

From my testing, what you are seeing is just the metal edges wearing in from a freshly machined edge. I have removed and installed mine many times over and have not noticed any significant deformation.  It is RC40 hardness on the steel tang and will most definitely hold up much better than the titanium equivalent.  Please let me know if you have issues in the future.

yes it’s a pain the ass to remove, that is how I designed it :)  how often are you removing the bolt?  You can be confident that it will remain in place under any circumstance.

Edited by RxArms
  • Upvote 1

materials prices are up quite a bit in the past 4 months, i'll need to increase the price on the next batch unfortunately.  This is a very low margin product for me to start with.  I mostly did it as I really wanted to have it for my self and I'm glad others enjoy it also.

I'll be posting updates on my website (rxarms.com) for the progress of the order, I'll be likely ordering metal next week.  I'll also be making a small changes to the v2 design.  One, I'll be making the diameter a bit smaller, and extending the handle out 1/4", with the goal of keeping the same weight, but making the handle a bit longer (the diameter needs to reduce to achieve this).  I am guessing new diameter will be around 0.57" instead of the 0.6" but we will see.

thanks again for all the support.

• Upvote 3

RX, as a consumer, I really appreciate your openness and explanations for design choices. It's easy for one to sit here and say I'd do it this way, but when referring to bolt weight for instance, I wouldn't have thought of that until a product I would make (if I had the skills), didn't work.

I wish more companies were like this. ?

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 8:01 AM, bambihunter said:

RX, as a consumer, I really appreciate your openness and explanations for design choices. It's easy for one to sit here and say I'd do it this way, but when referring to bolt weight for instance, I wouldn't have thought of that until a product I would make (if I had the skills), didn't work.

I wish more companies were like this. ?

Thanks for the kind words.  I know that many have different priorities… some want a larger handle and don’t care about weight, some care about weight and not larger handle.  Then there is the whole “locking handle” vs “spinner” vs “semi locking but not really”.  

I am a methodical thinker by nature and am trying to satisfy everything which was my goal in this handle.  As it stands now I am not sure I have enough demand to Make another batch… so for now I am waiting a bit more until more express interest.  It is a very expensive product to carry in unsold stock and get stuck with inventory.  

• Like 1

Just ordered a raw titanium charging handle. I was holding out for the black ones to be back in stock, but I can get it coated locally. I understand these small production runs done by small companies can be costly with small profits margins. Much appreciation and respect for tackling such projects.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

Anyway you could make one like the one here on the far Right?  It is made by KZ.   I really like it, but it weights twice stock, right at 20 grams.  I don't know if anybody else would be interested in one in Steel/Ti, maybe start a poll.

I like yours a lot but like the stock one as well or better, it's just too small.  I realize you would end up a gram or 2 heavier than stock but I would buy it!

Bolt_Handles.jpg

Edited by les_garten

• 4 weeks later...

I have ordered material for the next run.

I am going to make the handle 1/4" longer, but the diameter will be a bit smaller (as mentioned, to keep the weight at OEM spec).  I will not exceed OEM weight as that is important to most, so I want to keep that spec intact.  Still working with the machine shop to determine the spec for handle diameter.  I will report back when I have more firm specs.

This should alleviate all the short handle issues that some may have when combined with bolt release pads that extrude a bit.

-Robb

Edited by RxArms
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of the first run one's, and I love it, but I think I would love it even more if it were extended slightly.  I don't know by how much, but extended I think could be a win as well.  Is there plans or could there be plans of an extended version in the future?

1 hour ago, sniiped said:

I have one of the first run one's, and I love it, but I think I would love it even more if it were extended slightly.  I don't know by how much, but extended I think could be a win as well.  Is there plans or could there be plans of an extended version in the future?

He said the new version was going to be extended 1/4"...

On 11/4/2021 at 5:27 PM, RxArms said:

I am going to make the handle 1/4" longer, but the diameter will be a bit smaller (as mentioned, to keep the weight at OEM spec).  I will not exceed OEM weight as that is important to most, so I want to keep that spec intact.  Still working with the machine shop to determine the spec for handle diameter.  I will report back when I have more firm specs.

This should alleviate all the short handle issues that some may have when combined with bolt release pads that extrude a bit.

I'll be in for a third once it's available...I think this one will be perfect.  @RxArms any chance of a discount? :)

Edited by bcruze

16 hours ago, bcruze said:

He said the new version was going to be extended 1/4"...

I'll be in for a third once it's available...I think this one will be perfect.  @RxArms any chance of a discount? :)

Yes email me when they are available and I’ll hook you up.  Like I said I don’t make much on these but I’ll see what I can do!

Edited by RxArms

6 hours ago, rubicon20032003 said:

I bought two of them myself 

I’ll discount one for you also if u want the next version also.  Thanks for your guys’ support!

I am also making a minor adjustment on the hole size for detent, making it smaller for less play, so should be tighter fitting.

final handle length is increasing 0.2”, should be enough handle length to assist in clearing the fatter bolt release buttons.  Once I get a working version I’ll get a better idea on the outside diameter, as knurling adds some, but expecting from 0.55-0.57” for handle diameter after knurling.

Edited by RxArms

54 minutes ago, RxArms said:

I’ll discount one for you also if u want the next version also.  Thanks for your guys’ support!

I am also making a minor adjustment on the hole size for detent, making it smaller for less play, so should be tighter fitting.

final handle length is increasing 0.2”, should be enough handle length to assist in clearing the fatter bolt release buttons.  Once I get a working version I’ll get a better idea on the outside diameter, as knurling adds some, but expecting from 0.55-0.57” for handle diameter after knurling.

When you get them done, post a side by side pick up showing the differences.  

I think mine is fine.  I have a stock bolt release button.  No complaints at all about the handle, really nice.

30 minutes ago, les_garten said:

When you get them done, post a side by side pick up showing the differences.  

I think mine is fine.  I have a stock bolt release button.  No complaints at all about the handle, really nice.

The trade off is bigger handle less length, I don’t think I’ll be making the first version again so u got a keeper if you like it a bit bigger.

I’ll post a pic when I get the production back, I’m probably 3-4 weeks away from cerekoted handles 

2 hours ago, RxArms said:

The trade off is bigger handle less length, I don’t think I’ll be making the first version again so u got a keeper if you like it a bit bigger.

I’ll post a pic when I get the production back, I’m probably 3-4 weeks away from cerekoted handles 

I am on your list for a black one as of today, I like a selection of charging handles.

On 11/20/2021 at 12:39 PM, RxArms said:

Yes email me when they are available and I’ll hook you up.  Like I said I don’t make much on these but I’ll see what I can do!

I was half kidding, I'm happy to pay full price for a quality piece from a small manufacturer.  Looking forward to it!

On 11/20/2021 at 9:08 PM, RxArms said:

RX, can you post side by side pix of the handles along side each other and installed as well.

Mine is installed pretty deep, but seems a perfect fit.  To tell you the truth, I would probably go for a smaller diameter but the same depth.  I like the one on the far right in my pic I posted above, but it's a little heavy.

Nice job on these, yours is the one in my shotgun BTW.