My Light Mount issue solved by SD and Impact Weapons Components

les_garten

So I had the Original AVA Tactical mount and had bought an Elzetta light to use with it.  Got a good deal on the Elzetta on FleaBay.  First time went to shoot the gun, the Elzetta pulled the ripcord and easily escaped it's restraint.  The mount would not hold that light.  Probably could have used some InnerTube material and got it clamped down,  But I would have always been suspicious of it.   Stranger Danger steered me to the Impact Weapons mount.  Still needed another light though...

The Surefires M600DF looked nice but High $$$.  told me a while to make that leap but I just did and I have to say, they make nice lights, and strangely lightweight for their size. Glad I got it, never owned a Surefire before, now I kinda get why people like them.

The Elzetta weighs 5.9 oz. and the Surefire weighs 4.6 oz., so that's a good thing saving 1.3 oz.  SF is a little longer which will help with unshrouding the light a bit, the Elzetta threw a pretty big barrel shadow.

Also, the Surefire ran 3 hours on the 18650 Battery that came with it, amazing!

The Impact Weapons mount is really light and get's the job done perfectly, low drag as well compared to the AVA mount.

The Impact Weapons folks extended the combination discount for the Surefire/Mount combo even though I had bought the mount quite a while ago.  Thanks Earl Pitman for the discount after the fact!  He seems to carry his phone around and answer it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...   With the discount the light was like $5 more from Impact, but I think those $ went to a good company for sure.

StrangerDanger turned down the SureFire Switch for me and everything is ready to mount up now.  Nice to have SD as my personal Gunsmith!

I'd like to say thanx to everyone who helped me out on this!

Here's some PIX:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by les_garten
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?46767-1301-Light-Solution

Curious if you've seen this with any lights (battery issues).

Actually I have encountered that with the KeepPower batteries once. Mine looked just like theirs. I don’t know if the battery just wasn’t made right or if I didn’t have the end cap or headlamp tightened fully which allows the battery to slosh around and damage the positive terminal. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Glad to help. The light looks good! Stay away from the Modlite website!

I did go there...  More than once I must admit...  But I looked in the mirror one morning and said to myself, "are you freaking crazy"   I won't divulge what the answer was here, but I ain't been back.

Edited by les_garten

8 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?46767-1301-Light-Solution

Curious if you've seen this with any lights (battery issues).

I plan on testing my Surefire Scout light with a Malkoff head for this on my M4 Benelli with an Orbtronic 16650 battery. I'm adding Battery Bumper o-rings from Malkoff to see if that eliminates the problem. 

30 minutes ago, Exiledviking said:

I plan on testing my Surefire Scout light with a Malkoff head for this on my M4 Benelli with an Orbtronic 16650 battery. I'm adding Battery Bumper o-rings from Malkoff to see if that eliminates the problem. 

Try it with two cr123s, also. Im curious if battery on battery will create issue.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Near the end where the battery’s positive terminal is smashed in presumably from recoil. 

I only saw the issue with one battery. So I’m not sure if it’s a fluke or not yet. 

Don't think it would be a Fluke.  I only Run 123A batteries in weapon lights.  I was surprised that Surefire went the Dual Fuel route.  I took that 18650 battery and am using it in my Flashlights.  The idea about not training with batteries in place seems like a good idea.

• Upvote 1