Carrier defect?

Milspec

I noticed this slight nick in my BCG.  I don’t think it’s an issue but it’s a bit concerning since it’s in the area that the piston rod makes contact.

I’ve never dropped it.  Based on the nick I don’t think it would have received that damage from a fall.  Unless it bounced off something on its way down to the floor.

4466B56F-939D-4157-B55F-E9472CBB8A82.jpeg.806a81ec1f7dad1243e0fd39f394ad71.jpeg

Edited by Milspec

Is this your NP3 carrier? Is the gouge deep enough to feel with your nail? I take it there are no signs of damage on the piston? Have you had any malfunctions where the bolt closed on a shell stove piped in the chamber? It might have mashed the rim of the shell between the carrier and the barrel.

I had a carrier get beat up by an old 4 port barreled M4 that the pistons beat the carrier to the point that both contact areas for the pistons were swelled up from the beatings. This caused the carrier to bind in the receiver when pulling the bolt to the rear. Benelli replaced everything and upgraded me to a 2 port barrel to keep that from happening anymore.

Yes, this is one of my NP3 carriers.  You can feel it with your nail it doesn't really catch it.  You feel it and your nail slips right out.  Maybe 1/32" deep at the most.  No signs of piston damage that I'm aware of.  I think the piston makes contact just off the edge.  I didn't have any malfunctions before the plating.  It was that way before the NP3 because the plating is over the nick.  So it was either that way from the factory or it was dinged where the plating was done.

I'm sure Benelli won't warranty since it's been NP3'd.

Edited by Milspec

I know right.  Most of the time I forget it's there.  I'll just have to keep an eye to make sure the piston doesn't deform.

I was more worried about the carrier cracking but I don't think that's going to happen.  There is a lot of solid mass there.

I have been studying the the bolt carriers for a while and my input it that it looks like it was dropped on a sharp edge (from another bolt carrier?) after machining. That spot is cut after forging, then the corner is chamfered so there should never be any marks like that.

It won't affect anything, but I am surprised Wright Armories didn't catch this.?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1