J Kenny 2 Piece Shell Latch

Milspec

I really don’t want to Dremel my receiver so the spring can clear.

Also the thread width looks huge for most after market oversized bolt release buttons GG&G, Briley, FFT & TTI.  I don’t know how that is suppose to work.  Maybe it’s an optical illusion.  It could be that the diameter is smaller to accommodate the girth of the spring.  Hence making the threaded area seem wider.  The post also does not have a raised cut out to engage the button.  I know they make some comment that the post won’t rotate but what of the button?

I do like that the post and main part of the shell latch are all one cnc’d piece.  

Edited by Milspec

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one.  I figure it will take a while to land here.  Those shells look like they insert so smoothly.  It seems the only resistance is the mag tube spring.

I am a little concerned about how long the latch spring (under the release button) will last.  I would imagine it would take tons of loading and depressing before that thing goes.  Also it appears the release button sits higher but that might just be the angle.

The screw compatibility with GG&/FFT buttons is probably the thing that worries me the most.

I have a two piece latch from Benelli on my M3 and M4. It loads very smoothly. It can't take a larger button at all but doesn't matter to me as most oversized bolt releases interfere with my M3 pump forend.

Doubt the spring would wear out. Even if it did you could replace it on the J Kenny unlike the Benelli version.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Doge said:

I have a two piece latch from Benelli on my M3 and M4. It loads very smoothly. It can't take a larger button at all but doesn't matter to me as most oversized bolt releases interfere with my M3 pump forend.

Doubt the spring would wear out. Even if it did you could replace it on the J Kenny unlike the Benelli version.

Is that an OEM part or something you've fabricated?

Interesting.  I didn't know that existed.

I bit and have a J Kenny on the way.  We'll see if I have to play musical bolt release buttons.

I'm not going to Dremel the receiver.  If it doesn't fit I'll try and source a different spring.  Otherwise, resell city.

Edited by Milspec

6 hours ago, Doge said:

OE part. You will need to use a standard follow like from a M2.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/60488

image.png.27b2ebbfa17fe8da9a893f2fc758be25.png

That is the old style M2 20ga latch. It will work in the 12 ga M2 and M4 but it has 2 downsides.

(1)The release post (that sticks though the receiver) is hollow and contains a spring. You cannot drill/tap it for an oversize button

(2)The forward section of the latch is just a little long so you have to push shells even farther into the mag tube to get them to clear the latch (farther in compared to the standard 12ga latch)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I have this lifter from J-Kenny.  After I installed it, I had lots of failure to feeds.  Its hard to explain what would happen but the shell would smashed between the latch and the inner receiver.  I would need to reach in from the ejector port and dig out the shell with my finger.  I was thinking about maybe polishing it up it bit, but I haven't had the time to and ammo is expensive these days so I stopped shooting for a while. 

I ended up just polishing the original shell latch and haven't had any problems.

7 hours ago, NoTycoon said:

My order took 18 days back in Sept 2019. 

Let me know your order number and I will reach out to them on Fakebook.

That's very kind of you sir.  I'll PM/DM you or whatever they call it these days.  I don't mind waiting I just want to know that I'll get it.

The last email I received states my order has finished processing.  However, when I check my account/order on the J-Kenny site it still says processing and the item is not on back order.  I ordered Sept 13'th I believe.