M4 - charging button vs a square

Drbones

curious to anyones performance delta or preference in regards to the button vs the square , anything larger has to be better than the stock

purchased a round , but having some buyers remorse or 2nd thoughts 

thx for any feed back 

Edited by Drbones

On 10/31/2021 at 10:14 AM, Drbones said:

curious to anyones performance delta or preference in regards to the button vs the square , anything larger has to be better than the stock

purchased a round , but having some buyers remorse or 2nd thoughts 

thx for any feed back 

i have the gg&g one. i also have the fft 3/4” charging handle. i like both however i have had the ends of my fingers clipped by the charging handle when i hit the release. now i just need to remember to keep my fingers out of the way. 

Edited by xblax619
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The thought of drilling and tapping a hole in such a small component and then hanging a lever off it never appealed to me.  Not that I couldn’t do it, it just seems a recipe for disaster.  Catch that lever on something and tear it off and what do you have?

I went with Dave’s Speedbar.  Offers the same ease of operation but is supported by the receiver and handguard, not the release button.  If I catch it on something and dick it up, I just loosen the barrel nut, remove the lever and stay in the game.  Your milage may vary.

http://www.davesmetalworks.com/m4.html

Edited by swOHmatt
Punctuation

10 hours ago, swOHmatt said:

The thought of drilling and tapping a hole in such a small component and then hanging a lever off it never appealed to me.  Not that I couldn’t do it, it just seems a recipe for disaster.  Catch that lever on something and tear it off and what do you have?

I went with Dave’s Speedbar.  Offers the same ease of operation but is supported by the receiver and handguard, not the release button.  If I catch it on something and dick it up, I just loosen the barrel nut, remove the lever and stay in the game.  Your milage may vary.

http://www.davesmetalworks.com/m4.html

Yeah i saw those. Looks like a great idea. I work at a metal shop and drilled and tapped mine. That part is tougher than you d think. There is a long piece on the inside ( kinda like and anchor  ) that gives it a lot of strength. I believe the worse that ll happen is u break that whole piece but that pretty unlikely ( plus it not an expensive part ). It does look like a cool idea though. 

• 4 months later...

I am biased but I prefer the aesthetics and surface area of my quick bolt release tab.  Naturally, can get up to 3 fingers on it, but typically use my ring finger and middle finger.  Either way, upgrading to a rectangle at least Is needed whether button or tab design.

F437C102-0437-4ED3-9E93-B447D6C3D119.jpeg

• Upvote 1