New to shotguns in general

Whamo22

Well i am currently looking for a nice shot gun to do the job durring the winter season, since saltwater fishing is really what i focus on and mostly do durring the 8-9 months out of the year. So a buddy of mine does saltwater fishing 8-9 months out of the year as well with me, and as winter sets in he gets his shot guns ready and prepared for quail, dove, duck, pheasant etc etc.

So i was thinking about doing the same thing and join in with him and a few other friends of mine. So the question basicly draws down to on what i should really look into buying. I have heard of Berreta being good and Benelli being a top favorite over the other brands. And i did pick up a few and i really do like the light weight of preety much all the models of Benelli semi-auto shotguns. But just not to sure on which one i should pick up, i have heard good things about the M2 models and the SBE 2s, and as i am not a fan of the camo im kinda pushing for a black or wood finish on mine. So if any information i can get off this site would be very helpful.

I also have previously read that the 26 inch barrel is better than the 28 inch, i also have heard that the 3 1/2 shot is an over kill or something like that. So what i am really wanting to know is what should i look into more i will be using this shot gun for quail, pheasant, duck, dove. Nothing more and nothing less. Just basicly an over all type of 12 gauge shotgun, that will do the job on all waterfowl. Thanx in advance guys and gals, i appreciate the advice and support.

Whamo,

In my opinion, from what you've shared about your intended quary, I don't think you need a gun capable of shooting 3.5" shells (i.e. the SBE II might be overkill for you). I have both the SBE II and the M2. Both are beautiful in an auster sort of way (both of mine are black), however, I find myself using the M2 much more as it shoulders easier for me and it's lighter. I've also found that for ducks the 3" shells are plenty (I use the heavier tungsten loads). About the only game I'd use 3.5" on are turkey. I think for geese I'd probably still use the 3" with tungsten.

Both of mine have the longer barrels, but I'm not knowledgable enough about the pros of long versus short - hopefully someone else will comment for you.

Likewise, I have black guns and I'm not sure of the advantages of the camo. I've hunted with people who have the Benelli camo shotguns and the paint may very well provide better protection against rust than the black, but, again, someone else could probably better comment.

Mark

I would agree with Mark. An M2 would probably be the better choice for you for the game your after.

I have a SBE II that I bought as the ultimate gun capable of what ever one puts in it. It has never missed a beat and at least for me you never know what game you may end up eventually hunting but you'll always be ready. Also at the time my dealer didn't have an M2 or I may have went that way. I don't regret buying the SBE II at all.

Many like 26" barrels for hunting but as far as ballistic's go they are the same as a 28". Longer barrels give you a longer sighting plane which I prefer but you may not. If you are hunting brushy or wooded areas you may want the shorter barrel to avoid getting hung up in it and it looks like upland hunting is your main purpose. Point them all and see which feels the best to you.

Camo finishes are basically a decal applied over the gun and can chip, fade or wear thin but any gun you use will show wear eventually. Cleanup may even be considered easier as you really only need to wipe the outside of a camo gun with a damp cloth and you must be careful with any solvents and chemicals. My SBE II is black so I am sure others will be able to tell you more about camo. As with any gun you must clean it after use.

Good luck in your selection. You can't go wrong with a Benelli.

It comes in Wood, Black Comfortech and Camo Comfortech. Wood is wood. What you are calling comfort grip is part of the comfortech stock system and not part of the wood stocked models.

It does show a black finish at the end of intro window on the site. It doesn't on the bottom of that page.

Click the specifications tab and it will list all models and variations.

Do you have a Benelli Dealer near you so you can see one? You really won't know untill you shoulder it for yourself, then make your decision.

Whamo,

It depends on what price range you are looking at. From what you've stated as to being a fisherman who will hunt occasionally, the SBE II or M-2 are pretty expensive guns. if you are set an an auto look at Beretta, Franchi, or Browning shotguns. They are all very dependable shotguns at a little lower price range. SBE's run about $1400, M-2's are $1100, and you can get a good shotgun in the $600 -$700 range especially for quail, or pheasant. i have never shot 3.5" shells and have always been successful hunting. 3" is plenty.

As for Camoing, I hunt a lot of ducks in natural cover so I have a camo shotgun. if you are hunting out of a blind then black or wood will work fine. Camoing really only helps with Duck and Geese. Not dove, quail, or pheasant. Plus getting a camo gun adds about $150.00 to the overall price.

Whamo,

I would have to agree with Craig on this and say, it really depends what price range you are looking at. I, personally a serious waterfowler and have both the SBE II and the M2 both have MAX4 camo finishes...I have to say I do find myself using the M2 more often, although I do love my SBE II. If you plan on the just the occasional hunt I would probably go with something a little less pricey, a Benellis place is out in the field, not in a gun safe...not saying it would not be used...it SHOULD be used and OFTEN! Also if you are getting into hunting, keep in mind quail, pheasant, dove and duck are very different hunts and require very different gear setups. I would go down to the local gun shop and look at them all, pick them all up, see which one fits/feels the best, I would even shoot them all as well...if I could...Good Luck! Cant wait to hear your decision!

Well i currently work at a gun/tackle shop, so the selection on shot guns that i can use and or look into buying is HUGE!, but i have heard from my co workers who work in the hunting dept to go for the M2. They also do quail, pheasant etc etc. So coming from the reviews and experience from everyone here and at the shop i really think i should go for the M2.

And also price isnt a problem for me as we get pro deals and what not on alot of models that we carry, for the employees. So what im now wondering is if i did pick up the M2 would it be very reliable and worth every penny once it has been purchased?.

[ 11-07-2006, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: Whamo22 ]

I may not be understanding you correctly but if you work in a gun/tackle shop why wouldn't you trust the advise of your coworkers? Who are also hunters. Especially working for an employer that will cut you a deal.

"So what im now wondering is if i did pick up the M2 would it be very reliable and worth every penny once it has been purchased?."

If you are worried about reliability I am affraid no gun is 100% absolutely reliable. Semi Auto's ,O/U's, SxS's, pumps or single Barrels. They are machines made by man and can always be subject to a malfunction for many different reasons. I don't know of any gun maker that will guarantee total reliabilty. Only you can decide if its worth every penny. All my benelli's are to me and many of us Benelli owners have more than one. I now have four. M4, SBE II, Sport II and my newest baby a 20ga. SuperSport. So far, not one problem with any of them.

I will tell you I have worked on far more Beretta's than Benelli's but they are both fine guns. Beretta' are also gas guns whereas Benelli's are inertia guns.

Good Luck with your choice.

I already told you what mine would be.

[ 11-07-2006, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Full Bore ]

Originally posted by Craig22:

The Franchi line is also made by benelli.

I don't believe that's true.

Beretta, Franchi, Uberti, Stoeger, Sako, Tikka, Burris, and Meccanica Del Sarca are all independent companies under the Beretta Holdings Company umbrella. But each is a separate entity with separate manufacturing facilities in different cities, and in some cases, different countries.

[ 11-07-2006, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

If I may add my 2 cents on the subject. I like the M2 with confortech stock better than any gun I own, and that includes some high end trap guns. You will find that shooting the SBE with trap loads just will not cycle reliably. Go with the M2, you will not be sorry.

Shoot Safe, John

Don't make the mistake I did. I opted to buy a less expensive gun than the benelli. I bought the winchester super X2 similar to the browning gold. In the worst of times it would not shoot. It would cycle ok and then not fire. I had a authorized dealer look into the problem but could not fix it. So I ended up selling it and buying the benelli SBE and love it. My point is that a less expensive gun can actually be more expensive in the long run. If your going with a semi auto you have to pay the bucks for a benelli or you'll be sorry. If you don't need a semi-auto a remington 870 is hard to beat for around $250.

• 2 years later...

When you buy a semi auto shotgun that isn't a Benelli just be prepared for disapointment when the second bird flys by and your "other" doesn't cycle.

Benellis need the least amount of maintenance, are the easyest to clean, and will be there when you need it.

Buying another semi auto shotgun only adds to the price of buying a Benelli like you should have done in the first place.