Alternatives to a side saddle for extra ammo?

SnidelyWhiplash

I have 3 or 4 different brands but not a Vang Comp, they all work pretty much the same, the esstac has a nice big loop for removal and is my favorite. The only real differences are round count and color. The M4 receiver will accommodate a 7 round size, others, such as Mossberg, will only hold a 5 comfortably and a 7 round fits perfectly in a 30 round AR pouch for rapid spares.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The fastest reload is the New York reload. If the Benelli runs dry then the 226 is there. And the Virtus 300 BLK. I have read somewhere that the biggest problem you will likely have is not running dry but some failure to feed/fire. Drop that weapon and use the next. Yes, it's good to drill on clearances and reloads but my time is spend on transition training

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2022 at 1:21 AM, Unobtanium said:

The furry part whatever you want that works. The shell holding elastic part? Vang Comp is the only one I like. Ive used esstac and soe, and the Vang is night and day better.

Vang Comp only shows availability for Remington and Mossy shotguns, nothing for a Benelli.

• 8 months later...
On 5/8/2022 at 1:06 PM, StreetSweeper56 said:

I have 3 or 4 different brands but not a Vang Comp, they all work pretty much the same, the esstac has a nice big loop for removal and is my favorite. The only real differences are round count and color. The M4 receiver will accommodate a 7 round size, others, such as Mossberg, will only hold a 5 comfortably and a 7 round fits perfectly in a 30 round AR pouch for rapid spares.

Thanks for the review information about the size fitting on a Mossberg. I was going to order a 7 round unit for my 590A1 until I read this and then ordered a 5 round unit for best fit.

• Like 1

Be careful not to drop that Mossy, Mossys break VERY easily when dropped from a height as little as 10" from my experience (unless that design defect has been corrected). And if it DOES break when you drop it, DO NOT try to work the slide, correct the problem (pins out of their holes in receiver, to correct, get pins back into appropriate holes in receiver).

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

1 hour ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

Be careful not to drop that Mossy, Mossys break VERY easily when dropped from a height as little as 10" from my experience (unless that design defect has been corrected). And if it DOES break when you drop it, DO NOT try to work the slide, correct the problem (pins out of their holes in receiver, to correct, get pins back into appropriate holes in receiver).

lol....I don't know, mine is an older model. I want to say I bought it in 2006 or thereabouts. Iv'e taken it completely apart several times, and before I got the hang of it....they're kinda tricky.....if I didn't break it or screw it up putting it back together wrong, I don't think a little drop is going to hurt it.

I had a Mesa Tactical sidesaddle on it for years that uses the trigger housing pin and a screw thru the side of the receiver into the ejector to mount it, that I eventually canned, because the rubber grommets that held the shells in place didn't work anymore.

All Mossys with the same lifter design are subject to becoming inoperative upon dropping. I had a gunsmith put a permanent fix on my Shockwave after I was able to get the lifter on my Shockwave to fall out of position on the second drop from about 10" onto carpet over a hard floor with no padding. A hard enough blow and that lifter is popping out of position for sure.

Jump to 5:40 in this video to see it for yourself.

Ok, that is interesting. Now I understand what you're talking about. To your knowledge has Mossberg done anything to correct this issue? 

I didn't drop my gun but, I used a plastic pen tip cover to manually push in the pins and I was able to dislodge them from the retain holes.

Edited by Evolution

7 hours ago, Evolution said:

Ok, that is interesting. Now I understand what you're talking about. To your knowledge has Mossberg done anything to correct this issue? 

I didn't drop my gun but, I used a plastic pen tip cover to manually push in the pins and I was able to dislodge them from the retain holes.

My gunsmith called Mossberg about this well known issue (he mentioned to the Mossberg contact all the various online references regarding this) and they denied any knowledge of it.

This is an easy and relatively cheap remedy for a competent gunsmith.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 8:28 PM, Sukhoi_fan said:

My gunsmith called Mossberg about this well known issue (he mentioned to the Mossberg contact all the various online references regarding this) and they denied any knowledge of it.

This is an easy and relatively cheap remedy for a competent gunsmith.

I've never seen this happen to any Mossberg 590A1's that are used by the military.  However my unit used the Remington 870 and the Benelli 1014.  What modification is required by a gunsmith to keep this from happening?

8 hours ago, 11B3VW9 said:

I've never seen this happen to any Mossberg 590A1's that are used by the military.  However my unit used the Remington 870 and the Benelli 1014.  What modification is required by a gunsmith to keep this from happening?

Tap the two pins of the lifter for screws and put small nylon or delrin washers on the pins secured with screws.

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2022 at 1:06 PM, StreetSweeper56 said:

On 2/8/2023 at 11:44 AM, Evolution said:

Thanks for the review information about the size fitting on a Mossberg. I was going to order a 7 round unit for my 590A1 until I read this and then ordered a 5 round unit for best fit.

never had a problem running a 7-rd card on my mossberg. currently have one sitting on the 500 in the closet. 

On 2/26/2023 at 9:37 AM, StreetSweeper56 said:

The 7 card interferes with my hands on a 500, maybe I just have big hands.

Well, ya know what they say.....to each, his own. But having installed the 5 round card on my 590, I completely agree with you and am glad I saw your post on this.

I placed the 5 card all the way forward just even with the face of the receiver and can see how a seven round card would go well past the part of the receiver where it slopes down to the stock wrist.

I would not like that situation. It would seem the only way to compensate for that would be to move the card way forward of the receivers face but then it might interfere with the slide and/or fore end.

The five round card is a perfect fit IMO. But....everyone's got their own opinions....🙂 

Edited by Evolution
  • Upvote 1