HK import M1 Super 90 LE Package

Richard63

I recently acquired an HK imported M1 Super 90 package.  It came with a PG stock, straight stock, 20” barrel, 26” barrel, and optic mount. The proof mark on the 26” barrel is AS, which as I understand dates it to 1987. It has several upgrades, a GG&G magazine follower, oversized safety, and anti walk pin, optic mount, etc. Also has Velcro on the left side of the receiver and came with 3 shell cards. (Not sure I am gonna keep that in place). It was sold as  LE Package, and the original paperwork verified that. Not sure if it was a Benelli, HK, or LGS package. The seller got it from a local retired LEO. 

I have been trying to locate choke tubes, as I understand they are the 2nd gen tubes, not Mobil or Crio tubes. Any ideas on where to find them?

Wondering about the optic mount….I have read adding weight can affect reliable cycling.  I plan on adding a small mag tube rail to mount my light, but don’t want to add too much weight  

Would removing the Velcro by soaking it in Goof Off or Goo Gone and carefully using a plastic scraper be a good idea?

Thanks for any info  

35B7F5E5-C474-486B-955C-DB6A63C9F2D4.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I just returned from my LGS and confirmed that neither Mobil or Crio tubes fit my barrel.  We tried a few different ones, none fit.  I did run across an older post on this forum that stated the following from Brownell's website.  I believe I need the 2nd generation tubes but cannot locate a source.  I will keep looking, but if anyone knows where to find them, or if anyone has some they no longer need, please let me know.  Thanks.

"Benelli choke tube systems.

There are three known choke tube systems that have been used on Benelli shotguns commonly encountered in North America. They are as follows:

First Generation: External Thread System. This is the earliest of Benelli choke tube systems and is typically found on the SL-80 Series: Models 121 and 123, from 1960 through 1986. The thread is on the outside of the barrel and the choke tube has a female thread. These chokes are very much like the old Weaver choke tube system. This requires a special spanner to remove and install the tubes. No current source for these is known at this time.

Second Generation: Internal Thread System. This system was used on models imported by Heckler & Koch U.S.A. from 1986 through 1995. The barrel is internally threaded with a male thread on the choke tube. The threads are square and are located on the muzzle end of the tube. The major diameter of the threads is .810". The tube has a nominal overall length of 1.888". Included in the overall length is a collar with a nominal length of .118". (1.77" length from face of barrel muzzle to breech end skirt of the tube) This collar extends from the muzzle of the barrel and uses slots for the tube wrench.

Third Generation: Internal Thread System 1995 to present. This barrel is internally threaded with a male thread on the choke tube. The threads are square and are located on the muzzle end of the tube. The major diameter of the threads is .810". The tube has a nominal overall length of 2.050" from the face of muzzle to the breech end skirt of the tube. This system is interchangeable with the Beretta Mobil Choke style choke tube system."

On 11/25/2021 at 9:27 PM, truckcop said:

Is there not a choke in the barrel you can compare others to?  

From Briley's website, a comparison of Benelli chokes:  https://www.briley.com/c-262-12-gauge.aspx

Unfortunately it did not come with any choke tubes.  I contacted Muller Chokes, they are about 45 minutes north of me.  I plan on driving up and letting them look at it next week.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never heard of anything other than Mobil Chokes in the M1. And, pretty much since HK imported hunting shotguns for them, I have only seen either Mobil or Crio. Could this maybe have been cut down and use another type choke like Rem-Choke, etc?

For Benelli autos, if the threads are inside, right at the end, they are Mobil. If the threads are inside, and ~3/4" from muzzle, they are Crio. If they are on the outside, it is old. LOL Seriously though, those I believe use the Franchi type choke system but not sure of that part.

There may be a few crossover models though. For instance, I've seen some Benelli USA models that could Ghost Load. I've seen some HK models that have high rib barrels, and other odds and ends, but those are just during that crossover period in late 90's early 2000's.

On 12/22/2021 at 4:54 PM, bambihunter said:

I've never heard of anything other than Mobil Chokes in the M1. And, pretty much since HK imported hunting shotguns for them, I have only seen either Mobil or Crio. Could this maybe have been cut down and use another type choke like Rem-Choke, etc?

For Benelli autos, if the threads are inside, right at the end, they are Mobil. If the threads are inside, and ~3/4" from muzzle, they are Crio. If they are on the outside, it is old. LOL Seriously though, those I believe use the Franchi type choke system but not sure of that part.

There may be a few crossover models though. For instance, I've seen some Benelli USA models that could Ghost Load. I've seen some HK models that have high rib barrels, and other odds and ends, but those are just during that crossover period in late 90's early 2000's.

Thanks for the reply.  The barrel has not been cut....yet.  I contacted Benelli and they verified the 1987 production gun predates all current chokes, and there is no current interchange being produced.  I also went to Muller Chokes, and tried about a dozen tubes, no luck.  I also spoke to Briley and Carlson.  Briley said they can make a choke if I send them the barrel, but it would not be test fired and there is not guarantee it will pattern correctly and cannot be returned.  Scott Carlson said the easiest and most economical solution is for him to cut the barrel and re-thread it.  I absolutely hate the idea of cutting it, but since it is pretty much useless without a tube, I may wind up going that route.

For the record I knew very little about chokes going into this as I have always had fixed choke shotguns.  This has been a hell of a learning experience.

Here is a pic of the threads....they start about 1/4" form the muzzle.  The Mobil tubes go in for about 1 1/4 turns and then a hard stop.  I even tried some vintage Beretta tubes, same thing.

IMG-0841.jpg

Sorry to hear about your chokes. I have two HK M1 and love tgem

For the receiver, first heat the Velcro with a heat gun and see if you can pull it up first. Then get off what you can with goof off - it’s far more mild - then goo gone. Mineral spirits or acetone after that 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 3:44 PM, Doge said:

Easy to just get a new barrel with the new choke tube instead of chasing down something that hasn't been made in what 40 years. There's one on Gunbroker right now for 350$.

Thanks again.....I made an offer and the seller accepted.  Glad you saw it, I had looked a couple of times on GB with no luck.

Well, I learned something new today then. Interesting info on earlier chokes.

One idea that might interest you regarding the chokes. Could someone make essentially an adapter so you wouldn't have to cut or re-thread the barrel. This would save any inherent collector value, but would give you what you are after.

It would look like a barrel segment and would have to be custom cut to fit your current/existing threads at one end. Then, extend the barrel by the length needed in order to have the thickness to then use a different type of screw-in choke. In other words, one end would screw in like a proper factory choke to your existing threads. Then, there'd be a small tube that would look like an extended choke but it would have internal threads at the other end to convert it to your desired choke pattern.

I have a SPAS-12 which has external threads and I am having something made that will convert those external threads from those obsolete chokes, to the internal Benelli Mobil chokes. I realize those are going out of favor too, but I have around a dozen Benelli's that all use them. Only my pair of M4's use the newer chokes.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 8:47 PM, Triode said:

Not clear if these are the right ones but figured I would share: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Vintage-Benelli-12Ga-Choke-Tube-Used-Updated/92-2172832/

Not my listing.

I'd buy those but it won't take my login info on AR15 website for some reason. Reset password doesn't send it to me either. Not sure what the deal is.

49 minutes ago, bambihunter said:

I'd buy those but it won't take my login info on AR15 website for some reason. Reset password doesn't send it to me either. Not sure what the deal is.

they have blocks on certain types of email providers.  that listing looks to be from Sept 21 and not been updated..doubt they're available

Edited by MrMilitaryPolice
  • Upvote 1