SBEII Assembly

lfharch

I just brought home my new SBEII and am trying to assemble it. I can't get the fore end to snap on the barrel-breech (step #5). The spring in the fore end is seated correctly and compresses against the barrel guide ring, but the fore end just doesn't clear the receiver (it looks to be a fraction too long). Is there a trick to getting it to snap on?

Thanks

OK, I misspoke...it wasn't the receiver the fore end wouldn't clear...it was the exterior of the barrel (just outside the chamber) where the fore end is supposed to seat. I kept playing with it and discovered that it can't "snap" into place as stated in the manual...maybe due to the thickness of the camo finish. I got it together, but discovered that the carrier control button won't release the bolt from the open position. The only way that I can close the bolt is to depress the carrier by inserting my finger into the ejection port.

Any suggestions on why the carrier control button doesn't release the bolt?

• 2 months later...

Got my SBE II for Christmas and marveled how it would not assemble according to instructions ( couldn't remove the bolt handle " with a firm tug" and couln't get the fore end to "snap" onto the barrel." Read numerous posts about wrapping shoestring around the handle and pulling it off.

Here is the easy solution courtesy of my friendly gun dealer.

Leave the bolt in the forward position. Place the fore end over the mag tube by itself. Then position the barrell with the guide ring over the end of the mag tube. This should concurrently place the bolt in the window area of the receiver where it would be normally. Snug the guide ring into the forend. Gently nestle the Barrel/fore end into its normal position and slide it back into place. You may need to tap the butt against something to make the barrel slide the last 1/8 inch into position. Place the mag tube cap and off you go.

Caution- maintain the rail from the bolt in it's cup like resting spot on the recoil spring in the stock while doing this maneuver.

Secondly, a new gun will be stiff and if you repeat this procedure about 3-5 times it will be easier.

You shouldn't have to use shoestring on a gun this expensive in order to assemble it. It seems to me that after time, extracting the bolt handle repeatedly will make it loose and may cause it to fall out ( which I believe I read happened to a poor soul that posted here. ) Hope this helps someone.

Just because you guys are self-proclaimed Benelli pros doesn’t mean every one else is familiar with them. My friend just bought the SBE 2 while we were in Stuttgart on a duck hunting trip. He had the same problem with the receiver not wanting to fit because of the close tolerance with the camo, we really had to force it pretty good.

I had to use a shoe string to remove my bolt handle. No way that sucker was going to pop out with a firm tug. I put a little grease on the bolt handle fitting and put in and pulled out about 10 times in a row. Still got to use the string. My forend doesn't "snap" on either. Also the forend "lug" closest to the receiver is very tight and difficult to get over the threads of the mag tube. Everytime I take it off, black material from the forend is deposited on the threads. Also, the bolt NEVER locks to the rear when I cycle the bolt. I always have to use the silver (red dotted) lock lever to lock the bolt rearward. The bolt does lock rear after the last round is fired. I'm coming to the SBEII from Belgian Browning A5's so all of these techniques and idiosyncracies are new to me.

Originally posted by roadrider18:

[QB] Also, the bolt NEVER locks to the rear when I cycle the bolt. I always have to use the silver (red dotted) lock lever to lock the bolt rearward. The bolt does lock rear after the last round is fired./QB]

Benelli bolts do not lock to the rear unless the silver latch is depressed. That is by design.

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by BLACK JACK:

Just because you guys are self-proclaimed Benelli pros doesn’t mean every one else is familiar with them. My friend just bought the SBE 2 while we were in Stuttgart on a duck hunting trip. He had the same problem with the receiver not wanting to fit because of the close tolerance with the camo, we really had to force it pretty good.

Some extra film is fairly normal on all dipped guns. I've had to pick at all my dipped guns to clean up film.

I would never buy a brand new gun on a hunting trip unless my current gun broke on that trip. I would not want to be in a duck blind with someone who is firing his or her new gun for the first time :eek:

mudhen - CA

Dang! I had no idea that my SBE was so difficult to disassemble, clean, reassemble and operate. I'd better trade it in on something else now that I'm going to have all these problems with it. Here I thought that common sense and the manual were enough. Who knew? Relacing my shoes everytime I take the pointy thing out of the slidey thing is really going to get tiresome.

Sorry lfharch, wasn't flaming you specifically. You have valid questions. My camo SBE doesn't SNAP either, it's more of a quiet snick. Don't worry though. Just gently push into place and then slide it over the mag tube. Once you do that everything will be where it's supposed to. It's not going to fall apart.

Not sure about your carrier button problem.