Cleaning your shotgun

sdkidaho

This was stated by Tucker in another thread, but for people that don't know any better this is good information.

I, am one of those people.

Originally posted by tucker301:

My typical post-session maintenance is as follows, and I've never had a hang, even with 7/8 oz. loads.

1. Remove forend cap and separate barrell and forearm from receiver, removing bolt group as well.

2. Clean barrel with snake using Hoppes Elite Field Cleaner. Run snake through until bore is shiny and clean.

3. Using a clean cotton cloth and a small amount of cleaner, wipe off all surfaces of bolt group, trigger group, and internal receiver surfaces. Make sure all residue and dirt are removed, especially from the back end of the receiver where the fork engages the cycle mechanism.

4. Apply a drop of Benelli oil to all friction and pivot points, then wipe until all excess oil is evenly and thinly dispersed on all surfaces. NEVER leave anything to the point of dripping with oil!

5. Inspect all parts for wear and re-assemble.

6. Check action for proper function and dry fire once, cycle action by hand and dry fire once more to relax spring.

7. Wipe down all external surfaces with oiled cloth, then follow with dry cloth.

The only other maintenance I've ever done was to clean the cycle mechanism, fully disassemble and clean the bolt group, remove and clean the trigger group.

All of those are cleaned and oiled in the exact same manner as the routine parts, but I only do them if they've been exposed to undue moisture or excessive dirt. Otherwise, it's maybe three times a year.

This is all very simple and basic stuff, and I'm sure you already knew it, but it never hurts to overkill with good info.

So, for us novice types, I think this is good info. Is this what you would do with a new shotgun as well? Meaning, one that is new out of the box and unfired, or would you do something different? Also you listed a few items there:

-Snake

-Hoppes Elite Field Cleaner

-Cotton cloth

-Benelli Oil

-Oiled Cloth and Dry Cloth (assuming cotton again)

Anything else? And the Hoppes cleaner and Benelli oil, are those the only ones you would use? Or how about stuff like the Inhibitor line of products?

These are probably basic questions, but to be honest, I've never "really" given my shotgun a good cleaning, and I'm all for some good step by step instruction like we received above.

I use hoppes#9 as a cleaner. (given its not an old rifle thats been buried in cosmo) As far as an oil I use militec. Some people like it, others don't. I like it because first and foremost its a ****nn good lubricant as I've seen first hand on dozens of guns. Secondly if your in the military they'll ship you a bunch free of charge. (depending on there supplies, but its no bs their a good company that does what it can for our troops. That in itself pleases me. Its a homegrown product (made in my state) and I know guys that personally know the people over at their company and there good folks. I'm intentionally not posting the website and obviously I have no affiliation with this company or I would not of divulged what I have in this post. Well those are my main daily cleaning products. Oh and a silicone cloth or a lead away cloth depending on the firearms finish as a wipe down. Cleaning techniques vary on type of firearm. If you follow tuckers advice for a shotgun you should have no probs. Just know what your taking apart. I tell beginers (who are learning to dis-assemble any type of firearm) to disassemble your first part then re-place it. Then take off part #1 and #2 and re-assemble, and so on. Don't go on to a step until your 100% on how to re-assemble all the parts you've already taken down. Otherwise you may carry your firearm into a shop and pay someone to re-assemble your box of parts that was once a functioning firearm. I've seen it dozens of times. Good luck.

sdkidaho, you can't go wrong with tucker's advise or FN_FAL's. Just clean your weapon well and often. If you use it in cold climates put it together with the least amount of oil possible, virtually dry. Benelli shotguns are more forgiving than most when it comes to the cleaning thing, on par with a legend, the old Browning A5.