buying a SBEII or M2, what do the owners think?

ogtx

Ok fellas, like many of you out there I spent some of my younger years with an 870 in hand and it is worn out. Time for a new gun. I need a little help from you Benelli owners

I spend about 30-40% of my time shooting clays, and the other hunting dove, ducks, and geese. I want one gun that is a "do it all"

I like the flexibility of shooting 3.5" in the SBEII, but I am somewhat concerned about lighter loads (3 dram, 1 1/8 target) when shooting clays with the SBEII. Can anyone let me know if they have had chambering problems with the SBEII and light loads? Do these guns need to be broken in with heavy shells and then eased into shooting light loads or can I go shoot clays with it out of the box?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input before I make the investment :D

I have a SBE, it will shoot 1oz. loads with no problems. Please note this is with the factory spring smile.gif The other day I ordered a 25% more power recoil spring from Wolf. After shooting 3 3'' pheasant loads with the new spring, my SBE will still shoot 11/8 oz. loads with no problems. I was fresh out of 1 oz. shells when I tried out my new spring. After I get some more 1oz. loads I will let you know how they work.

P.S you WILL not be disapointed with the SBE II buy it today and tomorrow you will say that is the best investment I ever made

Mine cycles 3 dram 1 1/8 all day long. I shot two boxes of 1 1/4 pheasant loads first, then have shot nothing but lighter stuff since. I haven't put 1 ounce loads through it yet but i am confident it will cycle those too. The gun is built to hunt, so i'm really not concerned with anything lighter than 1 1/8

I just bought a SBE II, and it works great. Shot a box of 3” #4’s through it first, then 2 boxes of 3 dram 1 1/8 oz, and not a hiccup. Right now, I think it’s my favorite shotgun of all time, but I have yet to put it through the wringer of a full hunting season.

I purchased a new SBE 1 about two months ago, and I have shot it a bit since then, but no hunting, yet. It is a great gun.

I did some price checking using Impact Guns online site. I compared the price of an SBE II, black, Comfortech, 26" barrel to an M2 with the same specific features. The price difference was exactly $300.00. Whether that difference is worth it to you, I don't know. For me it was an easy decision because I got my new SBE 1 cheaper than what a comparable M2 would have cost me and I did not feel the need to have an SBE II over an SBE 1.

I have never fired an M1 or an M2 so I can't make comparisons with an SBE. I guess you will have to decide how much you may want to fire 3.5" shells. Another consideration might be resale value. The SBE is a "legendary" gun and may hold its value more than an M2 would. Unless you are sure you will never want to sell or trade the gun, resale value is a consideration.

i

I am telling you my strong belief------definitely go for a 26". I debated for a bit before I bought mine, and finally decided on the 26"-------I could not be happier.

A SBE has a much shorter forearm than many other autos (which are gas guns). I think they balance perfect with a 26" and they definitely look right in a 26" because of the short forearm.

Plus, if you add an aftermarket extended choke, you are going to have almost 27" anyway with the choke in.

[ 03-08-2006, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Remy ]

I have both a SBE II and a M2, and I love both, I put the sure cycle stainless action spring in both guns, and I haven't had an issue with either gun cycling light loads. I never used them before replacing the action springs, so I can't comment on either one in factory form, but they are each a sweet shooter. I wanted a gun capable of 3 1/2's so I bought one of each. I will probally shoot the m2 more during duck season, since they both shot 3's and 2 3/4's equally well. If your wanting a gun capable of 3 1/2's I would go with the SBE II, but my two shoot as close as two guns possibly could, so it would be hard to recommend one over the other. But I will say this, I don't think you will be sorry about choosing either one, besides my old Beretta A-303 20 ga sporting these are the best shooting guns I have ever owned! I paid $1044.95 for my M2 Max 4 28" and $1234.95 for my SBE II Max 4 28" at Sportsmans Warehouse in Lewisville, Texas

[ 03-08-2006, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Orphanedcowboy ]